Kudu Encounter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Boy

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
What is the probability of collecting a kudu at 120 km/h?

Not high, I would have thought, but it happened to me this past Sunday.

I had planned a leisurely solo ride out west from Windhoek, turn right before Us Pass, cross the Kuiseb River and return along the Daan Viljoen Road.

It all went pear shaped about 50 km from town.

I've heard that the most dangerous kudu is the one you don't see. I can confirm that this is true.

The first I saw of the cow (it was a cow) was when it was about 1 metre from me on my right and heading fast towards me. The next instant, its head was over the right handle bar, smashing the mirror off. After that its head took my right arm out with a deafening thud. The humerus bone went one way, rendering my right arm useless. Luckily I didn't fall and tried to hang on using left arm only. After ploughing one handed through the stones and bush between the road and the farm fence, the bike slowed to almost a standstill and I fell off.

I landed unceremoniously on my bak next to the bike and was just able to switch off the ignition. I then lay helplessly in the road not even able to take my gloves or helmet off. A Good Samaritan eventually rocked up and helped.

Luckily there was cell phone signal and I was able to arrange for a lift for me to the hospital and for my bike home. That evening I was operated on and received a set of plates and screws that are really impressive.

I'm typing this with quite a bit of pain but the whole episode leaves one with a whole bunch of "what if" questions.