Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR750  (Read 1764 times)

Offline IanF

• Bike: Suzuki DR 750S
    • Ian Fairley Photography
DR750
« on: July 16, 2013, 06:08:15 pm »
I'm going to have a look at a DR750 tomorrow. Anything specific to look out for? Seems the starter motor on these bikes is one of the issues. Any way to check that out without removing it?

Thanks
Ian

Offline Het-Jou

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
Re: DR750
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 06:10:53 pm »

Push the happy button and listen, Carbs I believe could be a issue, remember reading a thread a while back, someone looking for carbs and or kits
Do not let fear and inhibitions dictate your life.

Offline IanF

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 06:15:27 pm »
Yes carbs seem prone to wear. Same carbs as Funduro though. And KLE500 carbs also apparently work so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 06:30:20 pm »
I'm going to have a look at a DR750 tomorrow. Anything specific to look out for? Seems the starter motor on these bikes is one of the issues. Any way to check that out without removing it?

Thanks
Ian

Starter motor, or the starter torque limiter?

The limiter is R 2 000 for a DR 650 SE. (I have a spare DR 650 starter motor. Dunno if it is compatible?)

There are a few/one DR 750/800 experts on the Forum. DR BIG?
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 06:56:43 pm »
Ja Dr Big  het n mooi thread geplaas oor een wat hy oorgebou het met pics en al.
Al wat ek onthou is die V8 size piston
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline IanF

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 07:03:07 pm »
Thanks. As far as I know the 650 starter is different.

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 07:06:07 pm »
Thanks. As far as I know the 650 starter is different.
:thumleft:
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 09:26:00 am »
I have also heard of starter problems have not had it personally, but its a piston you cranking (105mm) so use the valve lifter and dont crank for too long it takes a 1 or 2 presses on the button so what , even when I have not rode mine for a while I crank it onece or twice with the decompressor on to suck a bit of fuel in always starts. the carbs can be an issue plastic slides etc and a the big single vibrates a bit so slides and needle holes wear a lot, but in say that mine still ran with the holes very very oval needles almost worn through, and it still goes. the BST carbs are used on Funduros and its a straight fit I beleive Keihnins can be adapted quite easily. check out timing chain tensioner as well if something moves there can be pricey. I alss did inlet valves a while ago some thing with new fuel eats them away ??? they were tired 80k + . I need to do a piston now as I did rings only but the bore was a bit to big now and budget stopped the over bore 3k for the piston, should have resleeved and gone back to std 1/3 of the price , but generally a great old scoot and very capable off road. I saw a late model 800 (99) for mid 20thou. p here a while back looked very clean.  good luck . give a call if you need more info
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 09:40:33 am »
Every one loves a DR BIG

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 10:30:45 am »
Foeitog daai meisie in die pers bikini het vergeet om haar broek vas te maak. Plaas dat iemand haar se  :ricky:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 11:48:02 am »
As i said a DR BIG is popular 8)

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 01:28:41 pm »
Starter
Timing chain tensioner
Plastic slides inside carbs

other than that all good
the Internet is your friend

Dr.Big forum : http://www.drbig.info/forum/
a thread here on what to look out for when buying & also the proper starting procedure

Hessler Motorsport : http://www.dr-big-shop.de/
A german supplier of all things DR - a real goldmine

enjoy !!
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son, 1991

www.harleyparts.online

Offline IanF

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 03:18:33 pm »
Thanks guys.

I have already spent the last few days on the drbig and adv forum reading and learning what I could. It's made me very keen. I have a DR350 but have been wanting something bigger and more comfortable and capable for longer rides. I was keen on a 650GS Dakar but I think I'm now sold on the DR750. Much more character and better looking. The other thing that is important to me is cost and ease of maintainance and I imagine the DR750 will be better in that respect.

Went to see the bike today. It's the ugliest example I've ever seen. Plastics are badly sprayed black and gold but still with a blue engine. Cosmetically very tatty but seems mechanically sound. Goes well. Smoother than I expected but brakes even worse than I expected! Front shocks feel a bit soft too.

If I can get it for the right price I think I'm going to go for it. Will strip it immediately and sort out the cosmetics.

But to buy it I need to sell my perfect DR350 which I bought from Herms.  :(

Ian

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 03:20:18 pm by IanF »

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 04:22:54 pm »
Front shocks are a bit soft - but then the bike is 20 odd years old so springs tired / oil vrot / seals shot
I put Wilbers I got off LeCap in mine & could not believe the difference.

I forgot to add that the rear shock will most likely be poked & the chain will more than likely eaten a hole through your swingarm if the bike has not been looked after & the chain has been run too slack.

Also, they are noted for getting skwiff in the front forks but Hessler sells a nice fork brace which sorts this out.

It is an awesome bike but it will always be a old bike.
Everytime I rode mine hard, I broke something. ( & with that great motor, it was hard not to ride hard )

DR-BIG & I agree that they are too good & too old a bike to be continously abused & as such, they make a good second bike, maybe something to trot out once a month to take to classic club.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 04:24:16 pm by Wild Hearted Son »
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son, 1991

www.harleyparts.online

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 05:03:16 pm »
The other thing that is important to me is cost and ease of maintainance and I imagine the DR750 will be better in that respect.

Be careful with that logic - older bikes cost more to keep on the road than newer model bikes.

Their parts are not cheaper and they break more regularly so they actually cost a lot more to keep going km 4 km than a newer bike.

You only buy older model bikes like these for the pure love of them - you never buy them cause they are cheaper to maintain (cause that is not true)

Newer model bikes will do 100 000km+ easy

You will struggle to get 50 000km out of the older bike engines - weaker parts, vibration, etc requires more regular rebuilds - and that is very expensive

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 05:06:56 pm »
Agreed on the brakes they are kak, but I ride vmx (drums) so no problems  :biggrin: but even what WHS says we did Waterkloof bash and we dont get left behind esp in the thick sand, and we came back in 1 day  1000km plus so they not scared of distance but as Rob says its old but more than capable. huge character and if you want to ride at 180km/h dont but a adv bike the journey is part of the trip. toll roads are niceer int he car anyway :)

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 05:11:00 pm »
tell me the DR has not got character, mines on 85000km still goes, still get the attention where ever I go, great scoot, If I want to go up babbons/mx track I take the 250f .... horses for coureses ps a new Hagon rear shock 200 odd GBP

Offline IanF

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 05:41:01 pm »
I hear you about older bikes and costs. I also have a XT500 and a 76 Honda CB550. So I should rather say it looks simpler to maintain and work on. Not necessarily cheaper. And with the lower purchase price and a bit of luck it should be quite a few km's before it works out more than a Dakar. And capable as the Dakar is, I've never fallen in love with it. I like the character of older bikes I guess.

I don't ride hard. 100-110km/h is what I'm comfortable with.

Offline IanF

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 11:33:06 am »
Ok so I bought the bike! Got it home and took it for a decent ride. I love it! It just feels right.

I'd love to strip it down and begin a rebuild right now but I've got a busy month ahead so my plan is to sort out a few pressing issues and take it for a nice Baviaans ride and then get stuck into it in a months time.

Good news is that mechanically it seems good. Starts easily, idles nicely, no strange noises, and pulls like a train.
Other news is that it needs a cosmetic makeover. The previous respray actually isn't bad. It's just the colours that I can't live with. But it needs to be stripped to sort out properly. Frame, engine and everything else need to be tidied up. Things that need to be replaced: Rear tail light lens, Clock housing, tires, front brakes, some rear spokes, wheel bearings, shock protectors, mirrors, decompression lever, and speedo cable. And a rear carrier if possible. This one has a badly fitting pooratech.

I'm going to sort out brakes, spokes and tyres now and collect the parts I need for the rebuild. I'll start another thread when I get going with that.

Brake master and calliper is stripped and I'm hoping to be able to find new seals for those today as well as a new front disc.

Anybody have any advice or tips or parts, I'm all ears!

Offline IanF

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 11:36:50 am »
And the obligatory pics...