Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 3 Wild Dogs (The animals, not forum members) Killed - Info Needed!  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Shutter_Eye

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Richard Jessnitz
A message forwarded from the Endangered Wildlife Trust

"We received a report on Wednesday of the alleged illegal killing of three Endangered Wild Dogs. Derek van der Merwe, Conflict Mitigation Field Officer of the EWT’s Carnivore Conservation Programme, went to investigate the incident early on Thursday and discovered the three dead animals on the Beauty gravel road between Vaalwater and Ellisras. Oscar Mandlmeier, a registered medic and farmer in the area, and Derek retrieved genetic sampling kits from the nearby Welgevonden Nature Reserve and carried out an autopsy of the animals to determine the cause of death. The autopsy results showed that the Wild Dogs were run over by a vehicle and that one of the three dogs was also shot in addition to being run over. It is a strong possibility that these animals were deliberately killed.

African Wild Dogs are protected in terms of the National Environmental Management: Biodiversity Act (Act 10 of 2004) and the Threatened or Protected Species Regulations of 2007 (ToPS). They are categorised as an Endangered Species (EN) – Indigenous species facing a high risk of extinction in the wild in the near future, although they are not critically endangered. The activities of hunting or killing ToPS listed species require a permit from the relevant conservation authority, and where no permits have been issued for such activities, it is deemed a crime.

There are just 450 Wild Dogs left in South Africa and the loss of three is significant. There are less Wild Dogs left in South Africa than the number of rhino poached in 2013 and the visible cruelty with which the animals were killed is particularly devastating in light of their low numbers. We are asking you as the public to help us to save these canines wherever there is the potential for persecution and violence. If you know or hear about any activity that will bring harm to Wild Dogs, or can shed light on who is responsible for the death of these dogs, please contact Derek at Derekv@ewt.org.za."

2 Wheels and 1 Camera...
"UNDERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with your front wheel.
"OVERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with your rear wheel.
"HORSEPOWER" is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" is how far you take the fence with you.

Offline westfrogger

Re: 3 Wild Dogs (The animals, not forum members) Killed - Info Needed!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 05:30:52 pm »
Gets my blood boiling.

Offline Dish

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 05:41:27 pm »
What mindless fuckwit would do that ?? - ayyy sorry man.. so wish I could help

Offline Shutter_Eye

• Richard Jessnitz
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 05:44:41 pm »
With a national population of 450 this is such a sad loss...

Hopefully they'll catch the tosser that's responsible.
I'll keep you guys posted if there are any updates.
2 Wheels and 1 Camera...

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 05:45:15 pm »
ag no man!  :'(

Offline Sir Rat

• So it begins.
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Sir Sir Sir
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 06:06:28 pm »
Very sad indeed.   :'(

Looking at the picture, I looks as if it could have been a hit and run. Maybe the driver was driving a little fast at night, all three dogs run in front the vehicle. Two died on impact and the driver mercy shot the third?

Could be or maybe not. 

Offline Shutter_Eye

• Richard Jessnitz
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 10:32:50 am »

Looking at the picture, I looks as if it could have been a hit and run. Maybe the driver was driving a little fast at night, all three dogs run in front the vehicle. Two died on impact and the driver mercy shot the third?

Could be or maybe not. 

I responded with a  similar theory, one which EWT tends to agree with, but the problem is that the dogs are each 30 metres apart. How do you take 90 metres to stop? The placement of the dogs just doesn't gel with an accidental impact.
2 Wheels and 1 Camera...

Offline Sir Rat

• So it begins.
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Sir Sir Sir
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 11:34:16 am »

Could be or maybe not. 

I responded with a  similar theory, one which EWT tends to agree with, but the problem is that the dogs are each 30 metres apart. How do you take 90 metres to stop? The placement of the dogs just doesn't gel with an accidental impact.

Two dogs seem close together. Third dog might have crawled to that spot and collapsed there.

Witch one was shot?