Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2013 1200 GS LC: Broken Frame  (Read 9592 times)

Offline fudgypup

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • Beyond Starbucks
2013 1200 GS LC: Broken Frame
« on: April 03, 2014, 12:43:22 am »
Anyone else see this?  Happened to my mate recently.  He says his other '13's are cracked too.  I heard this was an issue with the '13 models that was apparently addressed in the '14 model?

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
Re: 2013 1200 GS LC: Broken Frame
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 05:20:09 am »
Oh no, that does not look good. Has it been repaired yet, or what did BMW have to say about this???

Offline Lord Knormoer

• is nog 'n kinders :-)
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 07:42:47 am »
Wow, never seen this. Did 9500km on a '13 and this did not happen.

Worth searching the global forums though.

Offline fudgypup

• Beyond Starbucks
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 04:53:30 pm »
Oh no, that does not look good. Has it been repaired yet, or what did BMW have to say about this???

It has not been fixed yet.  He has been trying to sort it out w/BMW and the dealer for about 11 weeks now.  I'm not sure what BMW is saying about it at this point, just that it's not fixed yet.  I could understand if they were claiming "abuse" but it sounds like there are a few other bikes with cracks too and that BMW reinforced this area on the '14 models, indicating they knew it was a problem.

He has been quite the brand ambassador for BMW for years now as a mfg-endorsed instructor as well as the dealer leading a group of riders in his area on various weekend trips and longer ones too.  I have done a few rides with him like the COBDR (Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route).  I know he rides a lot of dirt but I've never seen him abuse the bike or try and ride it in a way that would break it like this.

I just started yesterday doing a search of some forums like this one and advrider and haven't come up with any examples yet, but it is still a new bike and not as many take them off road like we do.

My advice would be if you have a '13 GS LC, to check this area for any cracks and report them immediately.

Offline fudgypup

• Beyond Starbucks
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 04:55:17 pm »
This was his message on Facebook yesterday:

Hi folks I just want to give you little snapshot of the picture of my 2013 BMW watercooled bike since it's been in the shop for 10 1/2 weeks as of today. Bmw has been the most unpleasant business to deal with as far as warranty goes that I've ever had to deal with in my life. For you people out there that know me my bike is very important to me I ride every single day and promote their brand and I have been getting the shaft for the last 10 plus weeks. This is supposed to be a warranty issue and they supposed to of tried to fix it that is not worked yet and they will not make a decision on trying to get me into another bike I am so frustrated, I hope no one has to deal with this it will put you over the edge I promises. There has been four of these bikes that we ride with as of right now that are cracked also.
More to come later.

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 05:31:19 pm »
He needs a new dealer :deal:

Not acceptable!

Edit: I have seen some pictures and understand the situation better. My sincerest condolences to the dealer.

Offline Ratt

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • An experiment in Artificial Stupidity...
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 05:54:00 pm »
Let's all buy BMW's they have been around the world and is so good and what not with the garage card.

And you ppl argue with 2SD, ffs, can't you see it yet  :deal:
I'm not saying kill stupid people, I'm saying, remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

**072 596 1303 in Knysna if you have troubles**

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 06:32:32 pm »
Let's all buy BMW's they have been around the world and is so good and what not with the garage card.

And you ppl argue with 2SD, ffs, can't you see it yet  :deal:

Waar daar 'n anti BMW thread is kan jy maar deesdae kyk, daar is ook 'n rot...

Pasop dat die anti BMW ding nie 'n obsessie raak nie, probeer objektief bly  :thumleft:

Offline Jakkals

• Forum Whore
  • I never get lost, I only discover new roads
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 06:38:44 pm »
Iewers op een of ander forum het ek dieselde gesien,,,,,, ek glo nie hierdie was die enigste of eerste een nie,

Cam shaft probleme, nek wat breek,, albei ernstige probleme,,, dit laat mens nogal dink,,, :patch:
Remember that hapiness is a way of travel - not a destination.

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 06:41:33 pm »
Iewers op een of ander forum het ek dieselde gesien,,,,,, ek glo nie hierdie was die enigste of eerste een nie,

Cam shaft probleme, nek wat breek,, albei ernstige probleme,,, dit laat mens nogal dink,,, :patch:

Presies hoekom ek gelukkig is om nog my argaiese 2011 te ry tot die LC v1.01 issues almal uitgesort is.

Ek glo die nuwe LC is 'n great bike maar sal rustig wag vir nog so 'n jaar.

Offline Jakkals

• Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 06:49:12 pm »

Presies hoekom ek gelukkig is om nog my argaiese 2011 te ry tot die LC v1.01 issues almal uitgesort is.

Presies, ek dink ook dit is 'n great bike maar van dat hy die lig gesien het was daar maar net te veel ernstige probleme,,,,, hoe het BMW die fiets ge toets ?  :patch:

Dink dit is baie wys om maar eerder eers te wag en te kyk.  :deal:

Offline fudgypup

• Beyond Starbucks
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 07:36:08 pm »

Yes, I'm happy with my 2011 GSA too.  68,000 km's and still going strong.  Was going to get the KTM 1190 R in December then lost my job  :'(  I wanted something a bit lighter, with 21/18 wheels and more suspension travel.  Will have to wait on that a bit longer.

The biggest question I had with the new LC GS was would it be as good in the dirt as the last one?  It's a fantastic street bike but it seemed BMW was moving more towards the urban Euro commuter who rarely takes it off road.  I hope there is some truth to what I heard about them fixing this problem in the '14 models but I am not certain.

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 07:36:53 pm »
I seem to remember about 5 years ago, the GSXR's were also having neck issues, and
Suzuki wanted the guys to bring them in to have additional re-inforcing plates glued
onto the frame.
The thing that people have to face up to is that if you have a 5% failure rate on for example
the ST10, thats maybe 10 bikes in South Africa.
5% on the GS is about 100, so you certainly going to hear more about the BM failures
simply because of the maths.

Offline AntVan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 07:59:38 pm »
None of us are blind to the faults. I am certainly happy that it comes to light, so if my dealer issues the standard response of "First time I've seen this" I can call BS. We learnt a lot from the forum, and constructive comments really help more than being blind for the faults. Constructive comments are also more useful than just repeating the same sermon over and over...yawn.

My experience is that BMW goes the extra mile....and this is not the first brand that I've seen crack a frame...
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 08:36:27 pm »
Het niemand iets beter om te doen as om BMW threads te troll nie?

As jy ervaring het met die probleem, deel asseblief.

As jy raad het vir die man, help hom.

As jy iewers gelees het van soortgelyke probleme, gee vir ons die koppeling dat ons ook kan leer.

Indien jy egter wil nonsens praat, gaan praat in Jou Ma. Daai afdeling is geskep daarvoor, die een is nie.

Offline Jakkals

• Forum Whore
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 08:48:23 pm »

As jy iewers gelees het van soortgelyke probleme, gee vir ons die koppeling dat ons ook kan leer.

Indien jy egter wil nonsens praat, gaan praat in Jou Ma. Daai afdeling is geskep daarvoor, die een is nie.

Ai tog, van waneer af is die GS threads geheimsinige threads  :patch:

Ek dink dit is 'n oop thread en dit is juis waarom enige iemand daar kan post en hulle mening gee, as daar 'n probleem is moet dit tog sekerlik op die lappe kom of moet dit weg gesteek word en stil stil verdwyn.

Seker maar 'n algemene probleem by brand vaste mense, mense wat nie brand vas is nie is oor die algemeen nie skaam om oor die swak punte op hulle brands te praat nie, as jy die reply's weer gaan lees sal jy sien dat daar genoem is dat dit 'n great bike is,,,,,,, maar dit beteken seker nie hy is foutloos nie,, of hoe ?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 08:52:02 pm »
Post deleted. Stay on topic 2SD
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:09:04 pm by Draadwerk »

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 08:55:27 pm »

Wow...

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 09:06:33 pm »
Lets stay on topic please gents. I do not feel like moderating tonight 👍

Take it easy 2SD...

Offline fudgypup

• Beyond Starbucks
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 09:12:46 pm »
Got some good info off the Facetubes...  

This guy says they've seen it already and Touratech CZ already has a part!  No part # yet because it's new but he describes as this: Touratech CZ offers an enforcement kit for roughly 100 Euro.. it is basically a longer axle with a second mounting point at the end of this stem! ... my personal impression is, that BMW used a poor material, or the manufacturing process is weak, so some bikes are fine, some others might break... However, I would recommend that Touratech part for any 1200Gs LC...it's not yet in the catalogue.. you need to contact Tomáš Kocanda

I just want to share some info, learn what others have experienced and then find out if anything good comes from it.  I see no point in demonizing BMW (or the rider).  They sold 500,000 of them so they must be doing something a few people like enough to buy.  It's not always perfect but I'm sure they will sort this one out eventually.

I guess advrider is no the only forum that has to deal with trolling   :imaposer:  A mod's work is never done.   ;)