Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My tales From America Del Sur  (Read 7706 times)

Offline rombo

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • :
    • my travel site
My tales From America Del Sur
« on: May 09, 2014, 11:52:03 pm »
Shortly after the highest passage of the Andes i stood wet in the icy river , holding my motorcycle with all my strength to avoid it drifting with the current. Helplessly tried to scream for help but to no avail . "Where the robbers when they are needed ," I thought and prepared for the worst.

So begins my journey in South America. With a special love for motorcycles and a dream that been cooked for four and a half years in the army .I Bought a motorcycle in Lima, Peru, and began to climb the Andes Mountains . I wanted to do a different trip . . Reach places as far away as possible to think about.With an advise of some climbers I met on the way I went to cross one of the highest mountain pass in the Andes ,The Punta Olimpico , at an altitude of 4690 meters .

i arrived the capital of Peru treks Huaraz and stayed there for a day of preparation and study traffic route in the mountains until i was ready to head off.

Several days of travel poor roads winding them up the mountain of heights I have not seen before. Stunning views of snow-capped mountains , lagoons changing colors and the air,Oh the air ... for the night I was looking for a place to set up the tent. I met a local who said that there are robbers on the roads so i started looking for a place hidden from the road.

The sun was setting between the mountains and i didn't have much time of daylight . for several houres i did not see any person or village. I decided to get off the road and sleep on the other side of the river [ assuming that's where the robbers will not come ] a few seconds of deliberation " just a little stream ," I said to myself , I released the clutch and went into the river.

Incorrect assessment of the depth of the river , the construction of a lack of concentration, the front wheel hits a big rock and I'm falling with the motorcycle into the water ( the same water that a few hours seen as snow in the mountains ) I stood in a frozen stream Holding my motorcycle with all my strength to avoid drifting with the current, I was helpless and I tried to scream for help " where the robbers need them " I thought. The thin air at that altitude made it  even more difficult for me .

After a few seconds I pulled myself together and managed to lift the motorcycle that with all his gear weighed close to 280 kg. now the Bike is not starteing . the next thirty minutes I pushed the bike idle the remaining seven meters of the river , but at least I got the place I wanted. Hidden from the road and across the creek .

I spent the night with a knife open in my hand and waited. Every noise outside the tent made ​​me tense and be ready for those who come rob me. More than once I woke up from the cold and the fear that I was on the verge of hypothermia , I left the gas stove on and I got up to do pushups to warm up a bit. Most of my thoughts that night were on the fact that i have to cross the bloody river back in the morning.

That night I started writing the first words of this diary . I decided to continue north to the mountains. Despite the danger and loneliness was something fascinated from the strength of nature. it made ​​me Stay

If you find it interesting wait until you hear the story from the Rally race in Colombia

Or how i passed the Dorian Gap [for free]

Or the day i had to play the mandolin for my life in front of 70 angry protesters and Cauca vally

and Why the hell my bike is in a Herqulis air craft of the Colombians Air Force??

Get updated on my page:
www.facebook.com/romboroad
or
my travel site www.Romboroad.com

Offline CHorse

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
Re: My tales From America Del Sur
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 06:36:52 am »
Subscribed  :thumleft:

Offline White Rhino

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 05:14:41 am »
Very Interesting Rombo ... keep it rolling
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, WR450 Rallye, KTM990 Adv, HP2, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 07:08:02 am »
 :sip: This is going to be good!

Offline Dusty Rusty

• Sparkle
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
  • SSS!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 06:24:15 pm »
Looking forward to the rest Rombo!

:thumleft:
Never underestimate the power of kindness!

http://doutrapper.wordpress.com/

Offline EwaldSchmidt

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
    • The Rider
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 06:38:00 pm »
Inspiring read! Thanks!
"It's not about the Bike", Lance Armstrong said... Yeah right!
BMW R 1150 GS, BMW R 850 R (sold), Aprilia Pegaso 650 (sold)
Honda CB 750 F (sold) Honda CB 400 N (sold)

Offline Dorsland

• Forum Whore
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:14:56 pm »
This looks like it could be an awesome read ...  :thumleft:

Seriously great pix of those passes, must have been an experience
Geleerdheid in die kop van 'n dwaas is soos 'n lemmetjie in die hand van 'n aap.

CJ Langenhoven

Offline rombo

• :
    • my travel site
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 10:26:54 pm »
After a month and a half in Ecuador I got to the border of the infamous state - Columbia. Quite a few people I met on the way warned me not to enter.

Drugs, guerrilla wars, kidnappings and corrupt administration were only a few of the concerns. However there were others that said Columbia is the most beautiful country in the world and I should not miss it. I decided to judge it for myself.
When I got to the border there were dozens of police officers wearing heavy shields and weapons to disperse demonstrations.

The passport clerk took me aside and told me that massive protests had just begun across the country and the roads are full of rebels that would hurt anyone who tries to cross through.
So tatters the little expectations I had from this country.

After dozens of checkpoints along the way, I managed to get the first city : Pasto ( Pasto ) it was crowded and hot. I started looking for a hostel . For two hours I rode around in the city at 37 brakes per minute, failed to find a hostel with motorcycle parking . It was hot and humid, the motorcycle temperature gauge passed the red line, which did not improve my mood. I was hungry, tired and irritable and, worse, it was getting dark. I hated Columbia.

I pulled aside helplessly to cool off the hot engine. Suddenly out of the darkness two angels in a white Volvo appeared and stopped to ask if I needed help. They generously offered for me to come and stay in their house and asked me to follow them. Slowly we left the noisy city and we headed up towards the mountains. We went through a large gate and the road became paved stones, surrounded by stunning scenery and grasslands until we got to a huge property.

The following days I spent with their family in their mansion. The days where filled with farm tours, fishing, running and teaching them to prepare Shakshuka. At the same time the situation in Colombia deteriorated, every day I watched the news with hope that it will end and the roads would open so I could continue my journey.
After two weeks I decided to go. The plan was to get up early and ride 8 hours nonstop to Cali ( Cali ) . Why travel without stopping? Cauca valley ( Cauca ) is dangerous, controlled by guerrilla bands - stopping there means risking kidnapping for ransom .

I woke up at 5 in the morning full of energy, parted with kisses and hugs from the wonderful family and left. I had a good feeling that day. I managed to go out of the city without any issues and felt I was going to make it!!

I was alone on the road, the music played in my ears and I was singing out loud in my helmet. I was free again.
The road gradually became narrower. I rode through a mountain pass and suddenly saw a huge road block with around 70 angry protestors. They ran towards me with rocks and sticks in their hand.
The only thing I could tell at that moment is that they weren’t very friendly.

A brief analysis of the situation told me it was too late to turn around. I collected all the confidence that exists in my body, I took gears and speed down until I was just as far to hit me with their clubs. I stopped the bike, took off my helmet and started to laugh. The crowd looked at me as though I landed from Mars and did not understand why I'm laughing. "There's no pass" they shouted angrily.

"don’t worry my friends, I came here for you. I;m going to talk with your stupid president that will do something to change the situation." Everyone started laughing, I laughed with them. The hostile stares stopped and I felt safer. Everyone came up to me and started to look at the bike. Suddenly, one shouted: "If you play us your guitar we’ll let you pass." surrounded by a fierce crowd with clubs and stones, I found myself sitting and playing the mandolin.

I finished and every one applauded. They agreed to open the checkpoint: "You're a good person and can pass," one of them said. "But know that you have no chance to get to Cali, there are another five checkpoints along the way and as you go further their anger is increasing. They will kill you.    "Maybe fly to Cali," shouted someone from the back. Everyone started laughing and I laughed with them, but sadly, because I know that I cannot continue. I cannot fly. I turned around and started to follow the route back.

I was upset, I knew that things could take a few months and I felt stuck. I remembered them shouting at me to fly and I started thinking about that possibility. But how with the motorcycle? With a little faith I went to the nearest airport, which had become a closed military area because of the situation.
The guard stopped me and was surprised to see me there. As I was telling him my story, came through the gate the chief commander of the Airport. Luckily he loved motorcycles and even luckier he was trained by the Israeli air force. “Wait here, I'll see what can be done," he said and left.

I was given permission to enter the airport. I went straight to a large group of soldiers that were amazed to see me, a civilian, in their militarized airport.

I spent the time waiting surrounded by dozens of soldiers telling them brave stories about the Israeli Army. One of the officers pulled out a pistol and handed it to me, "This gun is best to have here," he said “Jericho" made by Israel Military Industries which had a Hebrew inscription. One of the soldiers cut my stories and pointed to the sky, "your aircraft" he said, as a Hercules landed.

One of the officers took me and to the entrance of the landing strip, another policeman with a dog gave me a drug test and I was rushed to the aircraft ramp. The pilots got to help push the heavy motorcycle into the belly of the plane.

Flight mechanic closed the door and the plane took off. I could not believe it was happening, I laughed out loud, looked out the window down to the ground disappearing. “Maybe try to fly, ah!” I said as I soared above the rebel roadblocks. See who laughs last .

next week rally race in Colombia with a surprising ending...
Get updated on my page:
or

Offline Dorsland

• Forum Whore
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 07:16:56 am »
Now this RR belongs in the awesome category.  Salut my friend, for continuing your trip in the face of all odds.  I would not have entered Colombia (I can't play the guitar  :biggrin:)
Geleerdheid in die kop van 'n dwaas is soos 'n lemmetjie in die hand van 'n aap.

CJ Langenhoven

Offline rombo

• :
    • my travel site
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 10:49:13 am »
hahah i played them the song "Rise" of Addie veders from into the wild movie. they really liked it.
Get updated on my page:
or

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 11:24:40 am »
haha and we say africa isnt for sissies!!!! nice work, keep it coming.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - current

Offline Dorsland

• Forum Whore
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 11:28:17 am »
hahah i played them the song "Rise" of Addie veders from into the wild movie. they really liked it.

Interesting how some light humour can defuse a tense situation. I was almost lynched by a mob (most of them high as kites) in Mozambique once when I stopped to take some pix of a bombed out T54 tank dating back from the war.  Took some smooth talking (them in Portuguese and me in English) and forced smiles to defuse an ugly situation.  Heart rate rose a few notches though  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 11:29:26 am by Dorsland »

CJ Langenhoven

Offline Hentie @ Riders

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 11:48:41 am »
 :happy1:  :deal:  :thumleft:

Offline Dirt Junkie

• I talk less and ride more than a
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 02:47:38 pm »
awesome can't wait for the rest  :thumleft:
Something to think about...
When you complain, you make yourself a victim. Leave the situation, change the situation, or accept your it. All else is madness.

KTM 640 adv,  Aprilia RS 250, Yamaha YZ450F, 2014 KTM 690, 2010 KTM 690R, 2011 BMW F800GS, Yamaha XT600E , 2012 KTM 250 SX-F , KTM 400 EXC, Kawasaki  KLR650, Honda 125 estorm

Offline Maddoglips

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 03:20:58 pm »
AWESOME so far, keep it coming and Thanks for sharing  :thumleft:

Offline rombo

• :
    • my travel site
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 11:04:48 pm »
than I got to Santa fe de antioquia, an Old  colonial town not far from Medajin, Colombia.

all were at the peak of preparations for the opening ceremony for a big rally race.
 The ceremony began and hundreds of the townspeople came to view the vehicles and to watch the race participants.
 "Get on the bike you go first," one of the organizers shouted to me, "but" I tried to explain that I do not know if I'll race or not.

"Hurry! Start".

Like a good soldier, I followed the order, I got on the bike and only wanted to finish it…. " He came to us from a distance the ISRAELITA RRonnnn BENNN" . I smiled and went riding as soon as possible to end this embarrassing moment, but suddenly blocked by a wall of photographers. To my left, the announcer came and started asking me questions.

"Ron Ben, tell us about yourself" I swallowed my tongue, so many eyes are on me, camera-flashes. I do not like talking to crowds. especially in Spanish!!
I stammered and swallowed the words, I felt that no one understands what I'm saying. Suddenly everyone applauded. Before anyone else decides to ask questions I got out of the limelight.

I took off my helmet and a wave of girls came and began to ask for autographs, take pictures and promise to come cheer me at the race....

That night i couldn't sleep , I was very afraid. I did not want to be racing alone. Traveling is one thing but competing is something else. Most of all I was worried about the heavy and bulky motorcycle. What if I break it something? This bike is my home now, I can’t allow anything to happen to it. I realized I had no choice, I have to race. I promised myself to take part in the race for the experience and enjoyment only and not for competition. I’ll go slow and sure and stop to photograph the scenery - I promised myself and fell asleep.

The next day I arrived with the people who sponsored me into the event. We entered the gate. It was a huge luxurious mansion. On the lawn were dozens of SUVs , ATVs, motorcycles spotless and they were all ready for battle. "Just to enjoy" I reminded myself and led by one of the organizers to register and prepare the bike.

Very quickly my fears were proven wrong. They all came to congratulate me on my participation in the race, offered help, and  support . I received all the required equipment a personal briefing on illegal race and went to the "pro blog" (short segment determines the opening ratings)

we were told that the rally goes through two major rivers and we have to pass through (remember : I have unpleasant memories from rivers in South America) .

Then they put us prior to the start, I tried to say I did not want to, but everywhere I looked thumbs were being shown wishing me luck. "It's a test of my maturity," I thought, “I’ll go slowly behind and anyway I'm here for fun. What do I care if I finish last."."

30 seconds to exit. Competitors Heat Engines, raising columns. I stand with the bike still. “I do not care”

15 seconds ... competitors are changing posture towards the leap, I only start the bike .

5 seconds surge ... My hand starts to move around

4 .. body leaning forward

3 .. 2 ... I cannot help it

1 ... then it strikes me, it’s stronger than me .

The red light turns green and I am the first out, blocking them with the body and into the first turn. "Idiot! You idiot! Go slowly." Logic screams to my body, hugging tight to the bike with my legs and apologizing for any closing idle or blasting rock.....

I finished first place.

I was interviewed on two television channels and every spare moment they filmed and asked questions.

I even earned some money that allowed me to cover the expenses of two weeks.

Then came one of the competitors and threw me the keys and said, "It's my vacation home, have fun."

"Get the speed boat out" said Daniel to his made. "i want to show you the area"

and this is I finished those crazy two days in a farm located in the village called Guatape.

Get updated on my page:
or

Online ZooDog

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • ride everything hard
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 07:13:55 am »
Loving this its like a fairy tale , im so jealous
TIA. this is africa

Offline westfrogger