Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why so many KTM 690's for Sale?  (Read 10260 times)

Offline Omninorm

Why so many KTM 690's for Sale?
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:15:37 am »
It's the bike I wanted to get and ticked all the boxes regarding off-road ability and even commuting etc but it lacked the passenger, and long highway ride ability I needed.

I'm just curious as to why so many KTM 690's are on sale?
Owners getting something else, upgrading to the 2014 models, going 1190?

Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
Re: Why so many KTM 690's for Sale?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 10:17:36 am »
I think many guy's are buying new ones, if I look at the number on the Amageza then they are very popular. Rumour has it there is a brand new one for next year.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline StuartC

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 10:20:36 am »
People have discovered DR650's
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 10:45:46 am »
People have discovered DR650's

:spitcoffee: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Anyways..... The market changes. Sometimes there are more of a certain bike available, usually right after you were looking for one and couldn't find  :deal:

And then of course, the "why so many..." threads follow shortly after with a bunch of band brashing comments. It's standard wild dog form
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline DikZol

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Jer 1:17-19
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 10:59:24 am »
I am always curious why these 690's are sold with such low mileage and short ownership. I would like to own one but I am worried about reliability and maintenance cost. Add the fact that it takes a bit to farkle it to where I want it I am wondering whether those have have done it came out slightly disappointed? Or is this tool just too sharp for most riders?

I am still dreaming of owning a real good all round single rider DS bike since I already have the 1150GSA that can go most places with a pillion.

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 11:04:07 am »
I am always curious why these 690's are sold with such low mileage and short ownership. I would like to own one but I am worried about reliability and maintenance cost. Add the fact that it takes a bit to farkle it to where I want it I am wondering whether those have have done it came out slightly disappointed? Or is this tool just too sharp for most riders?

I am still dreaming of owning a real good all round single rider DS bike since I already have the 1150GSA that can go most places with a pillion.
I don't know where this question of reliability and service cost come from. Our two bikes ran the Amageza with nothing more than a air filter clean on day two. There was one bike that suffered fuel pump issues, for the rest they ran like stick. The seat is not the most comfortable but for the rest the bike works well.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 11:34:47 am »
My take: to much of an in-betweener. Very good for the Ama, butttt not really a touring bike-- not a plastic. Had one, would keep it if i could have an unlimited number of bikes.
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Online Xpat

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 11:51:26 am »
My take: to much of an in-betweener. Very good for the Ama, butttt not really a touring bike-- not a plastic. Had one, would keep it if i could have an unlimited number of bikes.

+1

I don't have 690 but Husky 630 (with fairing and big tank), which is the same category. In my experience these bikes have very specialized use -  they are not good for long distance riding even on good gravel road (yes they can do it and I did it, but its no joy) and they are too big to enjoy in DeWildt. Apart for rally, they are great for focused trips like Kaokoland (VZP, Marienfluss, riverbeds), Lesotho off the main roads, Mozambique sand monster, Richtersveld. But while I have ridden Husky couple of times to Mozambique and Lesotho, I don't do it anymore as its too much chore, and rather take it there on a bakkie.

As a result I tend to ride my Tenere much more than Husky which gets taken out at best once a year for that special trip. I can afford multiple bikes so I keep it for that once in a while trip, but if I couldn't I would have to let it go.

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 11:56:37 am »
Three capital letters; K and T and M should give you a clue.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline blainec

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 12:04:45 pm »
ETS , I think you have hit it on the head it is a bike that sits in no mans land , to hard for touring and no range, to heavy and tall in comparison to a plastic bike. I bought a new one and only had it for a couple of months as I just could not really bond with the bike and that seat is like an ironing board .

Having said that In my early twenties I went all over the country as well as Zim ,Zambia , and Mozambique on a stock standard Honda XR 500. That seat was also something else , it also did not have the happy button to start it . When the bitch decided to be stubborn you would kick your arse off to no avail. In those days that was all that was available so you rode it.

Almost 30 years later I have a completely different few on what is fun and what is not .

I still think it is a nice bike but it did not suit me , if so many are up for sale I am willing to bet that we are all of a similar age and bought the bike thinking you are twenty  and got a huge reality check.
I am not here for a long time , I am here for a good time !

BMW R 1200 GS LC
BMW R 80 GS
Harley Fatboy ( yeah I Know !)

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 12:28:07 pm »
I've just completed Amageza on mine, I'll commute between JHB and PTA on it on Friday and I'll most likely go play on the local MX track with it on Sunday. Then I'll probably do a tour to the southern cape on it in December. I don't think it's fair to say the bike is in no mans land.
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Online Xpat

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 12:33:12 pm »
I've just completed Amageza on mine, I'll commute between JHB and PTA on it on Friday and I'll most likely go play on the local MX track with it on Sunday. Then I'll probably do a tour to the southern cape on it in December. I don't think it's fair to say the bike is in no mans land.

Let's talk in January then.

Offline DikZol

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Jer 1:17-19
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 12:35:40 pm »

I don't know where this question of reliability and service cost come from. Our two bikes ran the Amageza with nothing more than a air filter clean on day two. There was one bike that suffered fuel pump issues, for the rest they ran like stick. The seat is not the most comfortable but for the rest the bike works well.
I just never hear of any high mileage 690's.

From my own experience with KTM is that they are very expensive to maintain.

Good subsequent posts also. Still think the 990 is the ultimate all rounder though.

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 12:42:09 pm »

You are quite right J, butttt i just reckon not as many riders are as accomplished as you. Had one, they are fantastic bikes, buttt rather a third choice bike for most of us :thumleft: :thumleft:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 12:52:34 pm »

I just never hear of any high mileage 690's.

From my own experience with KTM is that they are very expensive to maintain.

Good subsequent posts also. Still think the 990 is the ultimate all rounder though.
That is a perception and maintain means different things to people. Tyres, YES, caused by direct and massive torque curve. In the past service and parts have been poor, but that has changed significantly and the parts are priced at average I believe.  There is not a ACME for KTM, nobody knows where crashed KTM's go, but that said from what we are hearing of late from BMW owners their experience with the Motorad people and price of parts is making it a similarly expensive product to own.

All things being equal, KTM just puts a huge smile on your face, once you have ridden a 990 with open pipes it is "good night nurse".
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Online BLK

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 01:03:32 pm »
The 690 is a wonderful bike and best in the dirt but as soon as you are having to travel with others on tar/distance you feel like you are always trying to keep up.
Instead of the new KTM 1050 they should modify this 690 with long range tank,centre stand,suitable seat,carrying capacity(Strong sub frame).

I none the less do miss mine even though I'm past it.

Cheers

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 01:21:03 pm »
Just to be clear I didn't start this thread to be a bashing thing at all.
I am genuinely interested as I almost bought one as I love how it looks, rides etc. It just wasn't there for me as a do-it-all bike I was kinda looking for.
The reasoning for the thread was just that I cannot find much fault with it if you are a only rider esp after you added a Rally kit....which does make it very expensive for a thumper, but other than pillion issues I read everywhere how amazing they are... but then I see a lot of them always for sale and as DikZol commented i also noticed very few are above 20 000km, not just here but other forums internationally as well.

Just a genuine curiosity of why they would sell so quickly if it's such an amazing bike...which I think it is - other than not fit for my usage.

I would have loved it in a 650 Adventure R frame - or just made it a little more pillion friendly so one can carry a pillion and some luggage if you had to.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:26:40 pm by Omninorm »
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Koos van den Heever

• Race Dog
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 01:27:11 pm »
Enjoy!!!
KTM 990 Adventure S
KTM 690 Enduro RR
KTM 450 RFR
KTM XCF-W 350

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 01:28:59 pm »

Offline Dirt Junkie

• I talk less and ride more than a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 01:37:17 pm »
love my 690 puts a big smile on my face every time I ride it, next bike will be a new 690.
2003 KTM 640 adv,  Aprilia RS 250, Yamaha YZ450F, 2014 KTM 690, 2010 KTM 690R, 2011 BMW F800GS, Yamaha XT600E , 2012 KTM 250 SX-F , KTM 400 EXC, Kawasaki  KLR650, Honda 125 estorm, 2012 KTM 300 XCW, 2008 KTM 690, 2006 BMW G650Xchallenge, Current bike 2007 KTM 640 adv

Current:  2006 KTM 640 Adv, 1979 Suzuki SB200