Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A Fun Desert Run and a WET Namib Desert! - 20/03-4/04 - Updated!!  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Scrat

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
Well, my first ride report‚?¶.. first EPIC journey‚?¶. First of MANY!!

The Prep: Night before we leave‚?¶‚?¶

It all started in 2006 just after we did the Desert Run on our beloved XR500RE‚??s , we decided to do it again, but with a twist‚?¶.this time we do the whole round trip, on only the bikes. No support vehicle (this means no Cold Beer) and we extend the trip with one week and do our own run back 8) 8) 8)‚?¶..From Swakop, Solitaire, Sesriem, Betta, Rosh Pinah, and from there we will find out when we get there... Why can a plan like this fail?? >:D >:D

It took us a few months to all get bikes and do our Bike Licenses and so it all started falling into place. Only problem was my AT went back to the shop after the 2nd time it‚??s big end bearings died‚?¶. (Motorcycle Lab) and this after I‚??ve spend almost 10k to get the motor redone for this trip!!!! AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!
This will still not stop me from doing this trip ‚?? got the bike back about 1week before we had to leave‚?¶.‚?ĚOk Boys, let‚??s do this!!!‚?Ě

Why does one always leave everything for the last evening and then realize what you still had to get for the trip‚?¶??? ??? ??? ??? ???

We prepped the bikes; all went fine ‚?? with a cold one ‚?? some good tunes in the background‚?¶.
Loki trying to look serious...

Stefan "fiddling" again - we should have called him MR Fiddle!!

Me, trying to figure out where to put all my stuff....

Meet the Team:
Scrat - aka Gerrit (me) ‚?¶Red Heart Bunny (RD04 Africa Twin)

Dr Dirt ‚?? aka Danie ‚?¶.. Dr Dirt (RD07 Africa Twin)

Loki _CPT‚?? aka Quentin‚?¶ Gigolo (Transalp 600)

Stefan ‚?¶.. Mr Moan a lot  (Husky SM610)

Nelius‚?¶. Beamer man (only joined us in Kuruman) (BMW F650GS)

Day 1 ‚?? Cape Town to Beauford-West

We all woke up early ‚?? music was roaring in the house and we had to do last minute shopping at the local spar‚?¶ as the other member (DR Dirt - Danie) was eagerly waiting in George for us to leave....
I got some pics from him on his solo trip - George to B-West....
Getting ready to leave George..and it's raining....

Some pics of MeiringsPoort...

He will be meeting us in Beauford.  :o :o :D There was a kind of electricity in the air and no, nothing related to Eskom‚??s load shedding!! ;D ;D ;D

Finally!!! We are off, stopped at the Shell at Canal Walk to fill up and DAMM!! The damm  South-Easter almost blew me over at the pumps!! Hectic!! Nothing will stop this trip!! With a rather chilly and Pumping S-E haunting us from the side we started.

Was quite a mission to get used to the luggage on the back ‚?? but soon it was easy riding‚?¶
We stopped in Worcester for a coffee‚?¶damm that beer would have been great now!!
The bikes still shining and the spirits high!!

Seeing that we are only three on day one ‚?? that means 2x smokers and one non-smoker ‚?? we win‚?¶. We will stop every 60-70 km for a smoke break!! Cool ‚?? that‚??s a great idea!!

What a nice day ‚?? not a lot of wind ‚?? heat is bearable ‚?? we stop once again for a smoke, spirits still high!!

Road is a bit boring ‚?? but we keep ourselves entertained!!

Last stop just after Leeu Gamka, Danie phones and says: ‚??where the hell are you?? I‚??ve been stuck at the Dros in B-West for far too long ‚?? the drinks are waiting!!!‚?Ě

Right after that he sends a MMS...

Now what type of motivation does one need to get Moving???

Not long after the call we reach B-West and true as bob ‚?? here he sits ‚?? drunk as a Skunk!! Bastard!! We have to catch up!! Hurry boys!!

We later discover that the place we booked for the evening is yet another 20km out of B-West and none of us will be driving there!!  :o :o :o :o‚?¶‚?¶..what to do?? ??? ???
 AAAAH look at that, right opposite the Dros is a Hotel!!!  (don‚??t ask me what the name was‚?¶‚?¶or wait there‚??s the name on the pic‚?¶ Oasis Hotel)

PERFECT!!! We can stay longer!! ‚??Another round Please!!‚?Ě >:D >:D >:D >:D

Day 2 to follow soon.... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 04:14:34 pm by Scrat »
Call us Crazy!! But what an ADVENTURE!!

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
Re: A Fun Desert Run and a WET Namib Desert!!! - 20 March- 4 April
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 02:55:11 pm »
 :happy1:
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline malgat (RIP)

• RIP 17/06/1953 - 29/10/2009
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • IF WE LIVED BY THE RULES WE'd NEVER HAVE ANY FUN
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 02:56:30 pm »
cool,,,,lights, camera ,,,action!!!!

a report with AT's in it

will be watching.....bring it on
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline GO GIRL

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 10:11:34 am »
C'mon Scrat surely you not finished yet??  ::)

Want to see the rest of the photos....

Great to have met another WD on the run, next time you guys do the whole route with me...??? :o

Offline Scrat

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 10:29:42 am »
No no- lots more coming!!
still another 12 days coming!!
still sorting out all the pics.... funny, one of the pics of Koes has a girl dancing on a bar???  ::) ::) ::) :o :o

hang in there will post day 3 today.....

Offline GO GIRL

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 10:34:49 am »
OH NO dont tell me you were there with the 'awards ceremony'?  Very embarassing!!!:redface: :redface: :redface:

Offline Scrat

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 10:47:27 am »
If there is a bar - I will be there.... ;D ;D ;D and with that type of "commotion" in the bar   >:D >:D >:D >:D who could miss it?? ;) ;)

Offline LOKI_CPT

• I just rubbed it and now I have a
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Im the Batmans Nemisis
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 11:07:30 am »
I will second that.... pitty they were so far and in between.
New year - New beginnings

Offline Scrat

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 11:58:12 am »
 Day 2 ‚?? Beauford-West to Kuruman (Really the long way Round)

We woke up ‚?? feeling very sorry for ourselves, trying to figure out ‚??WHY!! WHY DO WE DO THIS TO ourselves!!!! ‚??  still having an aftertaste of garlic and rum‚?¶‚?¶..‚?Ě AArrrgghhh!! I wanna just die and never wake up again‚?¶..‚?Ě
Me hating myself....

Stefan not feeling well.....

But we had to get ready, a long day today!! :-[ :-[ :-[

We made it to Three Sisters, just‚?¶ now the hunger crept in and we were so busy with the food and cream soda that I forgot to take some pics!!

My bike was misbehaving and luckily Danie bought me a Facet fuel pump in B-West the day before, changing the fuel pump with sweat dripping down and feeling very fragile. In the back of my mind thinking; ‚??we just did about 70km, I‚??m almost dead, I‚??m working on my bike‚?¶.and we still have 600km or more to do?!!!?? ???...and it is‚?¶GOSH!! IT‚??S ALMOST 12:00!!!  :o :o :oWe need to get going!!!‚?Ě
We hiding behind the bikes in the shade, changing the Fuel pump...

Almost in Victoria West, having a smoke - the road is long and Hot and still i smell that Rum and Garlic!! :-X :-X :-X

In Victoria west  we had to fiddle with the fuel pump AGAIN‚?¶ as it was doing all strange kind of things‚?¶ still feeling fragile too‚?¶
3hours later we left again ‚?? off to Britstown‚?¶.
we stop for another smoke and some hot water :-\ :-\ :-\ :'( :'(....

The road we just came from....

The road still ahead..

Is it a Bird?? Or a Plane??......

Looks like rain ahead....

And imagine that‚?¶.We have our first rain‚?¶. After such a hot day.  Who wouldn‚??t mind a little cold shower‚?¶..

Still a bit shy of getting wet.....

We are tired and bored with a headache still lingering in the back of our heads, but there's always time for a laugh

Aah damm, :o :o :o :o I left my maps at home‚?¶where to from here ??? ??? ??? ???‚?? need to ‚??phone a friend‚?Ě  ::) ::)‚?? ok fine ‚?? we off to Prieska.. cool.

We get to Prieska and the locals O0 O0.. tell us that the dirt road we were planning on taking is a MESS!!! Aaah no!!!  :o :o what now ‚?? what‚??s the best road to Kuruman?? ‚?¶..  :-\ :-\Mental note to self‚?¶‚?¶Please invest in a GPS before the next trip!!
Ok so we head off again, it‚??s now just past 18:00, the road ahead does not look to promising... :-\ :-\

and we are heading  to‚?¶mmm‚?¶ what was that place called again?? I think it was Groblersdal?? Or was it Groblershoop?? Well they said it was this way...

You must be joking!!! >:( >:( >:( How far to Kuruman????? :o :o :o :o

Song humming in my head:‚?Ě on the road again‚?¶llaaaallalalalllaaaaa‚?Ě it‚??s getting dark and I know we have still a VERY long road to go‚?¶‚?¶. We get to Groblershoop, a local there is amazed that we want to go to Kuruman, ‚??Ma julle ry mos nou verkeerd‚?¶..‚?Ě WE KNOW THAT BY NOW!!!   >:( >:( >:(And by now it‚??s almost 20:00 en we are where???  ??? ???
Ok outjies, let‚??s just get to Upington and then to Kuruman‚?¶. I know it‚??s madness‚?¶.but that‚??s why we on this trip ‚?¶remember??  8) 8)
We leave for Upington‚?¶.. about 40km before Upington we meet the lightning we have been seeing for more than an hour‚?¶. We struggle to stay on the bikes with wind bashing from the side, I could have sworn it was hail‚?¶ but it was just HUGE drops of rain!! We finally stop at the first garage in Upington, we all here and safe‚?¶it‚??s now just after midnight!! What are we doing?? we are MAD!!!

Wet and TIRED, this is the best coffee ever!

After a coffee we hit the road  again, after minimum smoke breaks we get to red sands lodge, it is now 02:30 and our mate (Nelius) has been waiting the whole evening ‚?? made sure there is a plate of food and cold beer waiting!!!  I‚??ve never tasted beer this good!! 

Totally exhausted we set up the tents and pass out.

Day 3 coming soon... 8) 8)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 01:01:53 pm by Scrat »

Offline GO GIRL

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 01:09:10 pm »
C mon Scrat I want to see the alt routes you took as opposed to ours I'm undercover blonde  ::) ::) and I managed to get the pics posted :D ;D

Offline LOKI_CPT

• I just rubbed it and now I have a
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Im the Batmans Nemisis
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 01:28:20 pm »
What Scrat fails to mention on this day is....... We were suppose to do only 620 odd km, but ended up doing close on 950km...... :angryfire: but that was  ok....we still drink and ride together, mates forever
New year - New beginnings

Offline Scrat

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 01:29:31 pm »
Hey - busy with Kuruman to Molopo as we speak, and hopefully the Molopo to Koes this evening!!

Offline Scrat

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 04:06:02 pm »
Day 3 ‚?? Kuruman to Molopo

Aah ‚?? it‚??s 7:30 damm, and it‚??s raining, reminds me of Cape Town ‚?? turn around and sleep some more‚?¶.wait!! the Desert run starts today ‚?? yes we did make it to Kuruman!! It was no dream!!
Hey ya all ‚?? wake up!! Time for coffee. We pack up and start loading the bikes.

OOPS, damm grass is wet!!! :o :o :o

Please don't start!! can't we just rest a bit more!!!!???? :'( :'( :'(

Off we were to Kuruman to fill up and start the trip ‚?? all five of us!!

We get to Hotazel where the tar end and big commotion going on, all the damm quads and hooligans doing their tricks for the local amusement ‚?¶. So we decided to mingle with the locals in search of some cold beer‚?¶.

These people are too friendly

‚?? not long, after Quentin (aka Gigolo) started flirting with (I think the only young ‚?? maybe to young local) we decide to head off.

No I know gravel roads ‚?? but it‚??s been a while since I‚??ve seen roads in this condition, felt like a rollercoaster without wheels. It was just Horrible!!

We made it to Van Zylsrust, and it was a scorching  36 degrees!! We were all taking strain.

Time to recap‚?¶. Ok Stefan is still fiddling with his husky, nothing broken or lost , just his 10l container moving around the whole time.

Loki was also fine, no problems, my AT was behaving, but damm ‚??thirsty‚?Ě ‚?? :'( :'(

Nelius was looking for a cold beer and Danie lost half of his front fender when he hit a dip and his fender got stuck on his crash bars.  Not too bad ‚?? seeing we have done about 1400km already..

We found the hidden pub behind the hotel ‚?? ice cold Miller‚??s ‚??

Some more dust and heat ‚?? I almost lost one of the bolt securing my cluster ‚?? just stopped in time ‚?? smoke breaks worked fine now ‚?? every 60km we stop for some warm water and a smoke,  the last one just before Molopo. Danie left his Oakley‚??s on the back of his bike while helping a guy with a flat tire and only realized a bit to late ‚?? he rushed back and well, I have to say, well done to Oakley lenses, not even a scratch, seeing that a 4x4 just went over them as Danie got to the last stop, but the frame did not survive, looked more like a pasta spoon.
 :-\ sorry no pics of the road.. :-\

We got to the lodge, the pool was a haven‚?¶. Revitalized the body and there was more than enough stock in the bar to revitalize the rest!!  :P :P :P :P

Some more pics of the campsite....

Met some crazy bikers (Kenny and Neil & kie) camping next to us ‚?? nice people.  We all posed for a picture with Simon from Bike SA ‚?? now that‚??s a Crazy biker ‚?? good soul!

We setup our tents right next to the pool area!! VIP camping...

The bar made sure there‚??s enough entertainment ‚?? NOPE, no pole dancers ‚?? but Quentin did try to get on the legendary Saddle at the top of bar ‚??

but when he heard he can only get on it if he leaves his clothes on the bar ‚?? he decided to go for the barber chair at the bottom of the bar. It sure was a comfy chair.

Relaxing outside the crazy bar for a bit..

The rum was flowing and the way to the tent was a long walk, the dip in the pool might have been part of that bothersome sidestep I picked up in the bar‚?¶. :D :D :D :D
more pictures was taken but cannot be shown here as the ‚??Hoederman dans‚?Ě  was just one of the many ‚??plays‚?Ě we had that evening. >:D >:D >:D
nuff said......... >:D >:D >:D

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 02:00:24 pm by Scrat »

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 09:13:00 pm »
Excellent report! Keep it coming ;D

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 08:27:02 am »
Great report and pics so far Scrat - more please!
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 08:36:44 am »
Lekker jolly so ver....ek sê
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 08:39:24 am »
Lekker man

looking forward to the rest of it
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline bradleys

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 02:02:24 pm »
Howzit scrat met you on the desert run,iwas with the medics,ridding the beta 525.Glad to see that you all got home safe.Ihave done 11 runs and really enjoy the ride. O0
ROUTE DIFFICULTY
1 = tar
2 = good gravel /pillian friendly
3 = interspersed with sand, mud, sand , bush / not pillian friendly
4 = lots of sand, technical riding 5 = expert only

Offline Scrat

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 04:15:45 pm »
Hey Bradleys!!

we barely made it back :'( :'( :-\ :-\ - but all to follow in the rest of the report!!
11 runs, ok you win!! next time you should join us on the trip back!! it was awesome! ;D ;D ;D

How did the Beta behave??

Offline briv

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • I know how an Ostrich sounds!!! knaplap huh !
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 07:04:53 pm »
Hey Scrat lekker trip.. saw your bike at buurmans place LTC (Leon) just before your trip ;). He mentioned that some other oke put the engine together and there was some stuff put back not so lekker. ;)
oor B..erge en RIV..iere sal ons ry,
mag dit altyd tog so bly....
Yamaha AG 100. Honda XR200. Yamaha XS11.  KTM 640 ADV. BMW 650 DAKAR. Africa Twin RD07. KTM 990 ADV. BMW R1200 GS

is jy moeg,,,,, of vaak groot gemaak?  (2StrokeDan)