Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DRZ 400E "NOT" parting out "NOT"  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Skipskop

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • ;-)
DRZ 400E "NOT" parting out "NOT"
« on: May 14, 2015, 08:12:51 pm »
Decided to keep the bike .Having endless problems with the paperwork and registration on my DRZ I just aquiered :-(  so I am thinking of selling or breaking it up for spares . If I  can make 20k out of spares or sell the bike for that price, I would buy another bike. WITH PAPERS ! The 450 Wolfskaap comes to mind, I  would really  love to own it....😉. So what say the DRZ gurus, will I be able to get 20k for the bike ? It runs really nice but uses a little oil, obout 500ml on 500km.
The person I bought the bike from lost the papers....never put it on his name. I found the origenal  owner.in Kemptonpark. I just don't  think I can expect from him to do all the moeite getting duplicate registration papers and pay arrear licence fees since 2007 .Although I will obveosly carry the costs. He did sing a transfer document and emailed it to me but that helps me nuffin 😣
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:43:19 pm by Skipskop »
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Online chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
Re: DRZ 400E possible parting out
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 08:34:32 am »
To have the registration document issued will entail a licensing department application form, sworn avidavit at the SAPS by the previous owner and R 500-00, when I last had it done. (Jagsding seem to be the expert on this matters. Send him a PM.) :thumleft:

With a normal transfer of ownership the license arrears remain on the previous owner's account. :o

If you decide on parting the bike, I might be interested in the complete front end and rear shock to fit to my DR 650, condition/price depending. :thumleft:

Regarding the R 20k asking price. I reckon you're aiming a bit high for a DRZ, that might need an engine rebuild. Keep in mind what you paid for the bike. You can't aid much value for the hard labour you have put into the bike.

I have quite a bit of experience with DR 650s and other smaller Suzukis, but not the DRZ. My two DR 650s do not use any oil. I know that the DRZ has a higher performance engine than the DR 650. Not sure what acceptable oil usage is on these bikes. I would have bothered me as well. :(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 08:40:28 am by chopperpilot »
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Online SmuGS

• A very quiet
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Only 98 669 km.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 08:42:10 am »
I would say persevere with the paperwork. It may be a bit of a mission as I found out with my late brothers bike. He never put it on his name nor did the previous owner but I eventually got the guy whose name it was in to co-operate. Oh and around R2.5k in penalties..
Nee wat vlekkelose ek kuier op my lekkerste tussen die rokers,dronkgatte,vloekers,hoere en ander sondaars  :imaposer:
R1150gs,  KLE 500, XT660R.

Offline Skipskop

• ;-)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 09:28:04 am »
To have the registration document issued will entail a licensing department application form, sworn avidavit at the SAPS by the previous owner and R 500-00, when I last had it done. (Jagsding seem to be the expert on this matters. Send him a PM.) :thumleft:

With a normal transfer of ownership the license arrears remain on the previous owner's account. :o

If you decide on parting the bike, I might be interested in the complete front end and rear shock to fit to my DR 650, condition/price depending. :thumleft:

Regarding the R 20k asking price. I reckon you're aiming a bit high for a DRZ, that might need an engine rebuild. Keep in mind what you paid for the bike. You can't aid much value for the hard labour you have put into the bike.

I have quite a bit of experience with DR 650s and other smaller Suzukis, but not the DRZ. My two DR 650s do not use any oil. I know that the DRZ has a higher performance engine than the DR 650. Not sure what acceptable oil usage is on these bikes. I would have bothered me as well. :(

Thanks for the feedback. The oil consumption does not worry me, as that would be a relative cheep fix to preserve a otherwise perfect bike. I will do a rebuild in the near future if I get the papers sorted.
A rebuild on a good running engine will not cost a arm and a leg.
I really would only get rid of the bike as a last resort as I am really happy with the bike and it is absolutely perfect for the purpose I bought it for and for what it cost me.
I will make contact with Justin for that option as well thanks, definitely an option as well .

I would say persevere with the paperwork. It may be a bit of a mission as I found out with my late brothers bike. He never put it on his name nor did the previous owner but I eventually got the guy whose name it was in to co-operate. Oh and around R2.5k in penalties..

At least I got hold of the original owner, thanks to Wilddogs ;-) .I am in the process of of negotiations with the original owner and hope he will help me out here as I am prepared to pay the arrears as the bike is worth it and is definitely a keeper ;-)
Like I said, just toying with the idea to get feedback on the forum here to help make up my mind ;-) ,it helps to talk about thing to get a better perspective when one thinks you run out of options, that's whats so nice belonging to a family of like-minded friends.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:32:03 am by Skipskop »
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Online chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 09:58:01 am »
As Smuggy has said, persevere with the documentation! It is not impossible to sort out! :thumleft:

After the hard work you have put into the bike, it will be better to keep it! ;)

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 10:36:20 am »
Consider to claim as "abandoned vehicle".
As far as I remember you have to advertise x3 in print (traffic dept usually will tell you which papers are acceptable)
Get PC
Get RWC
Then they issue papers.
No arrears or fines payable.
No running after people who never put the bike into their name.
Takes some three weeks to do.

Enquiries at the traffic dept. will be able to give you details.

Best to use Athena cylinder kit to rebuild. Better than OEM and available standard bore and 4mm OS.
1l / 1,000km is way too much oil consumption for a DRZ.
Be careful with mechanically noisy DR-Z engines. The big end is not indestructible and sends rebuild cost through the roof if it's thrashed.

I don't think you will get R20k for the parts. Also this will not happen within a month or three some parts will sit for years and some will not sell at all.
I don't think you will get R20k for the bike without papers either.
:-\
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Skipskop

• ;-)
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 11:33:48 am »
Thank for some very valuable info re the Athena kit Lecap. Yes, I will definitely rebuild before she goes BANG !
I have engine rebuilding background, did my trade and qualified as a Automotive engineering and engine rebuilding ;-) ,so will be doing a thorough job there. Found some dust on the inside of the air-cleaner housing, so not expecting to much damage on the bottom end and she does run nice and quiet.
Me off to the traffic department now to find out about the newspapers  :ricky:
Yamaha CV80 Beluga

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 11:41:24 am »
Clem, dis nie moeilik om die papiere te kry nie, vat net tyd. Belangrikste is kry die beedigde verklaring by die vorige geregistreerde eienaar en die ou by wie jy hom gekoop het om die ketting te voltooi.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

…, I wish I could own them all, and until I can afford to own them all at once, I will own them one at a time... 

Offline Skipskop

• ;-)
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 05:01:03 pm »
Clem, dis nie moeilik om die papiere te kry nie, vat net tyd. Belangrikste is kry die beedigde verklaring by die vorige geregistreerde eienaar en die ou by wie jy hom gekoop het om die ketting te voltooi.

Is reg so, ek het seker net bietjie aanmoediging nodig.
Yamaha CV80 Beluga

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 08:15:45 am »
Jammer man jy het baie moeite in daai bike in gesit  :-[ As die bike soveel olie gebruik sal ek dieper as net n piston en ringe gaan, as die motor oop is kyk na die ander dele ook. Ly my die vorige ou het hom lelik deur getrek.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:16:21 am by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 08:35:21 am »
How did the "abandoned vehicle" claim work out? How long, how much of a mission?
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Louis Photo

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 11:35:16 am »
Please PM me when( and if) you start selling parts...   :deal:  But I do hope you get the paperwork sorted rather.

Online chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
DRZ 400E possible parting out
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 08:10:55 pm »
I haven't finally made up my mind yet, but I might be parting out a very good condition '08, E model, with 10 500 kms on the clock.

Bought it from the owner, after being stolen and returned.

A few parts missing.

Has papers. Deregistered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Grumpleton

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 02:28:09 pm »
I haven't finally made up my mind yet, but I might be parting out a very good condition '08, E model, with 10 500 kms on the clock.

A few parts missing.

If you are, I may be interested in the sub frame and the left hand radiator, the side without the cap.

Let me know
Bikes : 2003 KTM 950 adventure S, 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R , BigBoy Revival 150 for the dorp.

Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

Online chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 03:49:19 pm »

A few parts missing.

If you are, I may be interested in the sub frame and the left hand radiator, the side without the cap.

Let me know
Will do!

Will decide on the parting out by Monday.

The sub-frame is near perfect.

The LH radiator has been "pushed" inwards, but is not leaking.

Pics will be posted.

Offline mtbbiker

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Meerkat V2.0
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 09:13:39 pm »
Sub
Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination - Fitzhugh Dodson
Project Meerkat:DRZ rally build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86025.0

Offline Grumpleton

• Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 10:48:59 am »

A few parts missing.

Let me know
Will do!

Will decide on the parting out by Monday.

The sub-frame is near perfect.

The LH radiator has been "pushed" inwards, but is not leaking.

Pics will be posted.

I see you have sold the parts I asked you for in the forsale section THANKS  :thumleft: NOT
Bikes : 2003 KTM 950 adventure S, 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R , BigBoy Revival 150 for the dorp.

Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

Online Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 11:20:31 am »
I have a friend looking for a swingarm and frame, amongst other bits and bobs. Papers not necessary, it's for off-road only. PM me your details and I'll pass them on.

This goes for anyone with any knowledge of any DRZ, anywhere.

Thanks  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:21:52 am by Cracker »
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Online chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 03:57:00 pm »
I have a friend looking for a swingarm and frame, amongst other bits and bobs. Papers not necessary, it's for off-road only. PM me your details and I'll pass them on.

This goes for anyone with any knowledge of any DRZ, anywhere.

Thanks  :thumleft:

Cracker

I have a very good condition 2008 DRZ 400 E frame, with papers, as well as a swingarm with shock and linkages.

My parting thread is somewhere here!

Selling separately.

They are not available immediately. Busy putting the front suspension over on my DR 650.

Regards

Online Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
Re: DRZ 400E "NOT" parting out "NOT"
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 07:30:07 pm »
Cool, send me some details and I'll pass it on.

He's not in a hurry either - he has 2 DRZs (I think) and one just got trashed in an accident

Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!