Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike vibrations  (Read 682 times)

Offline Famous Fanus

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Bike vibrations
« on: November 26, 2015, 05:37:59 pm »
Can anyone tell me why my bike is vibrating between 130 and 140 km/h please?

Why is there a funny engine sound and vibration when pulling the cluth in when approaching a stop street?

Bike is going in for its 1000 km service tomorrow and i would like to now what to tell the mechanics and point them in the right direction

Offline JABO

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Centurion
Re:
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 12:27:51 am »
Can be 3 things.

Tyres needs re balancing.
Had this issue a few times.

Spokes needs tensioning.
Also had this issue.

So not ride on highest suspension setting with 2 persons and luggage while you are only one oke on the bike.

Anyways when you go for the 1000 service let them know your issue and they will sort you out.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Freedom is when you get to a T-junction and think to yourself.
AAAAAAAAAAAAGH I think I'll go left.

www.riot-gear.co.za

Offline lecap

Re: Bike vibrations
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 10:05:51 am »
Firstly you will have to specify what you mean with "vibrates". What does "vibrate"? Handle bar grips, foot pegs, the front suspension or does the bike weave or speed wobble (does the bike seem to constantly run in a weave with or without noticeable movement of the steering?) Or is it maybe just turbulence behind the windscreen?

The funny sound and vibration on deceleration MIGHT have to do with the internal workings of the LC mechanically and FI wise:
All the earlier Boxers had a chunk of metal rotating inside them in one direction which made them feel like they try to fall over when you whack the throttle open. The LC is slightly different as she adapted an idea which you can find for example in het Honda Gold Wing and Pan European engines: You drive the clutch through a set of primary gears and end up with two counter rotating chunks of metal and their rotational inertia cancelling each other.
You have a nice big set of  primary gears which runs basically without load once you pull the clutch. This might be what you hear.

The other thing is the FI will shut down the fuel supply if you close the throttle at higher revs and will only step in as soon as the engine speed has dropped to a certain margin to prevent the engine from stalling. The moment the fuel supply kicks in again the engine goes from running against compression to partial load which might cause audible changes and some vibration.

Either find another bike of the same type and check if it does the same. or point your concerns out to the mechanic and ask him to take it for a test ride. Or both.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)