Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I have a dream ..............  (Read 15266 times)

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
I have a dream ..............
« on: July 23, 2016, 09:37:27 am »
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
Martin Luther King Jr

"I have a dream.  With that one sentence, Martin Luther King touched and empowered an entire nation.  You know what else he did?  He made everybody else without dreams feel real bad."
Christopher Titus

Often I find inspiration through the words of other people, not only the famous ones, sometimes ordinary people that come up with really sensible statements that just touches something inside me.

Even on this forum, I've found true inspiration in the likes of Joey Evans and his thread "From Para to Dakar" and many similar others.  It inspires me to be better, bolder and pursue those things that are continuously set aside for 'one day'.

When my sisters 13 year old son died of brain cancer last year, I promised myself that I will live my life differently.  There is no time like the present - Live as if there is no tomorrow.

Despite this undertaking, I withdrew from participating in the West Coast Baja earlier this year.  I convinced myself that the timing was not right, work load was too much etc. etc.  Again I prolonged something that I knew was something I wanted to do before my time is up.

A couple of months ago I set out to pursue this dream in all earnest.  And finally, I am convinced that, God willing, nothing will interfere this time round of getting to the starting line in 2017.

I intend to share my preparation, as a complete newbie, with you guys here, for those interested. Fitness preparation (quitting smoking is gonna be the hardest part), ATGATT, bike preparation (although my current bike is very much rally ready) and trying to keep an accurate log of the associated costs.

I will also rely heavily on those who's been there, done that, with endless questions.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
Maria Robinson

:ricky:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 09:21:04 pm by ktmkobus »
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
Re: I have a dream ..............
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 09:43:55 am »
Kobus, the difference between a groove and a grave is the dept. But its equally difficult to get out of both.

Married man, bond, kids, wife, home and job puts you in a groove.

Good luck, looking forward to your preparations.

Psst, On 3 Sept I will be racing my first quad race. Come hell or high water.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 09:44:23 am by Ama ride ride »
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 09:51:25 am »
Kobus, the difference between a groove and a grave is the dept. But its equally difficult to get out of both.

This is exactly what I mean Kobus. It's these collective words of wisdom from which I draw inspiration.  :thumleft:

I will be on the look out for that RR of your first race!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 09:52:14 am by ktmkobus »
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline caconcepts

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 10:03:14 am »
ktmkobus, I will follow with anticipation. Most of us are stuck in the same old rut and "tomorrow is another day syndrome"

One of my favorites is below, sunrise in the berg.

DT50, XL500, F650GS Dakar, Honda NC700, F650CS, R1200GS, R1200GSA, K1200LT, G450X, G650XChallenge, WR450F, GS 1200 Rallye, Honda AT.

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 11:30:32 am »
Give it horns Kobus! I'll be following this with interest.
'69 Model.

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 05:40:50 pm »
Serkte Kobus,

Ek het 'n paar goed in die lewe geleer.

Moet nooit bang wees om te vra.
As mens nie vra weet jy niem wat die resultaat sou wees, as jy vra kan die antwoord net posetief of neutraal wees. Daar is nie 'n ding soos nee nie. Ek vra sommer by P&P vir afslag maar kry dit nognie. (Kry by baie ander plekke net omdat ek vra.)

Wees MOERSE nuuskurig.
Ek is defnetief nie een van die slimmes nie maar my nuuskieriheid het al baie kennis ingebring. (dit bring ons weer terug by 'Never stop asking questions')

Alles is moontlik, dit raak net soms f@&&en moeilik.  Dit is seker hoekom ek die ewige optimus is.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline NoRush

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 05:47:39 pm »
Snaaks hoe n single event mens kan verander ktmkobus, sterkte ek volg jou voorbereiding.
As jy sukkel met rookery check bietjie by health shops hulle het great natuurlike produkte wat baie
sal help. Ons het jare terug n gesondheid shoppie op Jan Kempdorp gehad en Quit smoke verkoop.
n Spuit in mond en lus is weg.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 06:33:28 pm »
Dankie Adie, NoRush,

Ek sal vir seker baie vrae vra. Gelukkig is dit 'n ding waarvoor ek nog nooit skaam was nie.  :thumleft:

Die rokery gaan maar lol, maar ek gaan hom in die gat skop.

-David Livingstone-

Offline VaalBaas

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 08:44:38 pm »
Jy gaan dit doen en ek gaan dit hier volg. :thumleft:

Maak eerder vuur en brand jou geld daar. Jy kan dan nog n vleisie ook gaar maak  ;D :deal:
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C - 2020 RnineT Pure
2012 TW200
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8 en toe nog n 525 ook
Project Bikes - 2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE - 2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE - TW200
As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet(en ek weet nog steeds nie wat ek doen)

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 01:48:24 pm »
Thanks Vaalbaas en caconcepts.  👍🏻

Love the quote and a beautiful pic to go with it.

This is the weapon I chose to do the rally with:

A 2014 KTM 450 with currently 36 hrs on. Already pretty much rally ready.

This 8 liter Safari rear tank must still be fitted.  The range on the 18 liter front tank should be sufficient between fuel stops, but I want to use the rear to split the capacity to balance the bike better.  Good idea, bad idea?

After much deliberation over what this 'protection' is for on the side stand, since it doesn't touch or scrape anywhere, I finally figured out it is simply storage for duct tape! 🙄😂 Man dis maar moeilik as 'n ou dom is!

I still need to figure out where and how the additional water (I think 2 liters) must be fitted. Any suggestions apart from the manufactured belly plate?

Then I need to start figuring out how I will make it roadworthy, which indicators, switches etc.

Thus far I have not spend anything apart from the bike purchase, which I won't account for in my cost summary, together with rally tower, roadbook and ICO.  Simple reason is that in my opinion it's a personal choice and I bought the bike complete with these items and don't have the current costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:58:52 pm by ktmkobus »

-David Livingstone-

Offline SteveD

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 02:46:40 pm »
As long as you have 5 liters total. This can be 3 on the back, two on the bike, etc. But due to previous years groans regarding a fixed water tank on bikes, I have lessened the requirement to a minimum of two bladders on your back.

Please remember. Its best is to send your queries to entry@amageza.com. The forum may not have the answer or may have the wrong answer! Saying that you read it on the forum won't help at scrutineering! The bike scrutineer is a real tough bugger!  ;D

So the boss man says that you need 5 litres total, in two separate containers. Having one of them fixed to the bike is no longer mandatory.
It's still not a bad idea. 5kg of fluid on your back can get a bit tiring.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 02:56:07 pm »
Thanks SteveD.  :thumleft:

-David Livingstone-

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 04:34:18 pm »
** Snip **
Then I need to start figuring out how I will make it roadworthy, which indicators, switches etc.
** Snap **

Before you do too much on the bike first get the NATIS/ENATIS history from the VIN.  You can ask KTM if it was brought in 'for road use' or something.  Then also enquire at the traffic if it was registered/de-registered etc etc.

The result(s) of the above will determine whether it can be registered for road use.  If it is not the case it might be difficult/impossible/lucky for the next steps.

Roadworthy is actually a no-brainer, it must just conform to regulation.  The switches etc etc are commonly available (Startline etc).  Wiring could be a mission if you want to 'quickly' remove the indicators, hooter (get that from Chinese scooter shop at R50.00) etc etc.  Depending on current wiring you might need the Banjo Bolt brake switch (or two) also Startline etc.

One tip is to replace all current wiring (if almost none exist).  You can get 9pin plugs from Bosch shops.  Invest in a PROPER crimping tool and shrink all permanent (soldered) joints. You will have a sh$%tload of wires at the neck of the frame to accomodate everything.  >:D  Only one 9or 2 fuses will be enough. (Use inline spade type available from Bosch etc. at much cheaper than the fancy fuse holder type.)

Do not mix your navigation and road wiring.

All navigation instruments must be fed directly from the battery through a single switch.  You again do not need more than one fuse for simplicity. No matter what the purists say, if you blow a fuse you will stop and investigate.  Just disconnect the unit that failed (they all come with M8 screw plugs)  It seriously simplify wiring.

Sterkte met die voorbereiding.  Mike het 'n moerse mission gehad om die KTM en Yamaha se registrasie papiere reg te kry.  Beide fietse het padtoets (Dekra) maklik gemaak.

Adie

Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 05:23:05 pm »
** Snip **
** Snap **

Before you do too much on the bike first get the NATIS/ENATIS history from the VIN.  You can ask KTM if it was brought in 'for road use' or something.  Then also enquire at the traffic if it was registered/de-registered etc etc.

The result(s) of the above will determine whether it can be registered for road use.  If it is not the case it might be difficult/impossible/lucky for the next steps.

Roadworthy is actually a no-brainer, it must just conform to regulation.  The switches etc etc are commonly available (Startline etc).  Wiring could be a mission if you want to 'quickly' remove the indicators, hooter (get that from Chinese scooter shop at R50.00) etc etc.  Depending on current wiring you might need the Banjo Bolt brake switch (or two) also Startline etc.

One tip is to replace all current wiring (if almost none exist).  You can get 9pin plugs from Bosch shops.  Invest in a PROPER crimping tool and shrink all permanent (soldered) joints. You will have a sh$%tload of wires at the neck of the frame to accomodate everything.  >:D  Only one 9or 2 fuses will be enough. (Use inline spade type available from Bosch etc. at much cheaper than the fancy fuse holder type.)

Dankie Adie.  Hoekom is julle manne so ver van my af.

The original papers have not been issued yet and no registration has taken place.  (This was a condition of sale)  My understanding is that I will now go to the dealer and they will issue me with the necessary paperwork and I would not even have to take it to roadworthy, since it will basically be registered as 'new' and a 2016 model.

From there I need to start with the necessary wiring.

Do not mix your navigation and road wiring.

All navigation instruments must be fed directly from the battery through a single switch.  You again do not need more than one fuse for simplicity. No matter what the purists say, if you blow a fuse you will stop and investigate.  Just disconnect the unit that failed (they all come with M8 screw plugs)  It seriously simplify wiring.

Sterkte met die voorbereiding.  Mike het 'n moerse mission gehad om die KTM en Yamaha se registrasie papiere reg te kry.  Beide fietse het padtoets (Dekra) maklik gemaak.

Adie

The roadbook, lights and ICO was very neatly done, so I really need to stuff it up to get it mixed up.  I will place a photograph shortly.

Baie dankie vir jou raad so ver.

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
I have a dream ..............
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 05:34:44 pm »
Pics of wiring done.

Front light switch, two settings to run single or both lights.

ICO and roadbook switches.

Fuses

Overall wiring I think is very neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-David Livingstone-

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 05:53:21 pm »
Great,

you only need indicators and brake lights. Plus the hooter  :laughing4: And it get checked at scruteneering.  This can simplify the 'crows' nest of wires next to the head dramatically.  You can actually put the flasher unit under the seat and have the crows nest there. it is also close to the rear brake switch and halfway for the indicators.

Enjoy

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Scribble

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • RIP Coco thanks for the great times
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 10:14:29 am »
Hi Kobus
Having been feeling and thinking along the same lines as you for the last few years
The fact that you have started this thread is a ballsy move in my opinion.
congratulations I will be following with interest and hopefully lining up with you on that
day next year.
As for the bike prep I bought a prepped wr 450 earlier this year if there are any things I can help with
I will.
getting the brake lights to work is not a biggie, pressure switches that fit into the banjos on the master or slave cylinder do the switching
as for indicators those small flush mounted led ones seem to do the job just fine.
the one thing that seems to have taken a hiding on my bike after amageza was the flasher unit not that its  biggie either.
another interesting thing I noticed was that there didn't seem to be much space on the bars for all the switches.Again lots of workarounds.
the bike I bought has done amageza and the previous owner has done it a few times so I can assume he knows what works and what doesn't .
Has your suspension been sorted out for the bigger tanks ?
Good luck man
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 10:59:04 am »
Hi Kobus
Having been feeling and thinking along the same lines as you for the last few years
The fact that you have started this thread is a ballsy move in my opinion.  Fine line between ballsy and stupid Scribble - only time will tell.  Started the thread as a constant reminder of my commitment and nothing like a bit of Wilddog pressure and motivation.  :thumleft:
congratulations I will be following with interest and hopefully lining up with you on that
day next year.  I'm counting on your presence now.  :biggrin:
As for the bike prep I bought a prepped wr 450 earlier this year if there are any things I can help with
I will.  Thanks, I will need all the advice I can get.
getting the brake lights to work is not a biggie, pressure switches that fit into the banjos on the master or slave cylinder do the switching
as for indicators those small flush mounted led ones seem to do the job just fine.
the one thing that seems to have taken a hiding on my bike after amageza was the flasher unit not that its  biggie either.
another interesting thing I noticed was that there didn't seem to be much space on the bars for all the switches.Again lots of workarounds. I'll post a pic of where the switches is placed on the CRF - not ideal and don't know if it will pass scrutineering.
the bike I bought has done amageza and the previous owner has done it a few times so I can assume he knows what works and what doesn't .
Has your suspension been sorted out for the bigger tanks ? Suspension was set up by Hilton Hayward to accommodate the front tank.  The rear tank has never been fitted before.  Uprated springs though, so will take it back to him once the rear tank is fitted so everything can be set up with my weight as well, which is a bit heavier than the previous owner.
Good luck man   :thumleft:

-David Livingstone-

Offline Scribble

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • RIP Coco thanks for the great times
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 04:29:41 pm »
What are you planning to do re exercise  and fitness ?
Im considering some running and cycling I assume those things will
help ?
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 04:35:06 pm »
What are you planning to do re exercise  and fitness ?
Im considering some running and cycling I assume those things will
help ?

What makes you think I'm not as fit as a fiddle?  :patch:  :imaposer:

We have a gym at work, so the intention is to start doing core strength there and cycling for cardio. And then there's obviously no replacement for saddle time, which is going to be the biggest challenge. 

I have a couple of mx and enduro dvd's that I intend watching as well.  :biggrin:

-David Livingstone-