Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Roof of Africa 1986 Program & details  (Read 1076 times)

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
Roof of Africa 1986 Program & details
« on: August 22, 2016, 03:17:32 pm »
Roof of Africa 1986 Program & details

Recently my daughter and her husband decided to move to Seattle. I had a very hard week with her sorting through her stuff deciding what would go with her and what would go to the tip. I have eventually finished that project although my eyes still leak unexpectedly at times.

The way that our comrades and masters are going I donít think it will be that long before we join our son in Australia so I thought I might as well carry on with clearing out now that I had started.

One of the things I have found is this pretty well complete documentation from the 1986 Roof of Africa with competitors list, program, results and route.
At the time I was much more interested in getting myself to the start (and the finish) to worry about too much else but in retrospect a lot passed me by.

We all know Murray Watt won the 1985 Roof on a 125cc KTM but I didnít realize he was back the following year and came in nowhere land.  I suspect the man with the dead KTM500mxc on Rampaiís pass that I gave a handful of jelly babies to before his walk back to the Kao mine checkpoint could easily have been Murray. Hylton Haywood, who I was to be friends with later on when he came down to do Natal WFO events, was also there but didnít place(edit: got that wrong, he did). However, Iíve now realized that the guy on the shiny new red Honda XR RE that was snapping at my heels was in fact Hyltonís brother Grant. One of the things about being a dentistís offspring is that you always have shiny new toys. Grant I knew later through sailing because he married one of South Africaís best sailors, Belinda Classen, who was deeply involved in junior sailing.

The Roof program is quite fascinating. Quite interesting to see what Mike Egan thought was important, especially the sticky plasters on the nipples. I always thought he was a bit oversexed. Enjoy the read. I have put the link to my Google drive below:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1vdKsX95pPQY0ZjMlM3RmlZYkU
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:57:28 pm by IanTheTooth »
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline Rossdog

Re: Roof of Africa 1986 Program & details
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 03:42:29 pm »
Thanks for sharing this. Memories on an IT175!
'69 Model.

Offline Clockwork Orange

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 11:33:19 am »
Very cool. I enjoyed that
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline halfjob

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 03:00:34 pm »
yoh Ian, we raced that year together  :deal: i was number 97... do you have the finishing positions? was quite pissed off at the time that all i got was a bumper badge for finishing  :imaposer: but i treasure it today. was a hard race that year  :thumleft:
i only work to support my hobbies!!

Offline halfjob

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 03:05:31 pm »
oops sorry just saw it now.. :biggrin: 15th in class  :deal:
i only work to support my hobbies!!

Offline Wayne Duck

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Freedom Behind Bars
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 03:55:11 pm »
Thanks Ian - Nolan and I wanted to enter that year but could not find the money / sponsors...poorly paid apprentices back then!!

Thanks for the memories   :thumleft:
Links to my Ride Reports...
I have listed (with links) all my ride reports at the start of this ride report here:
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=121459.0

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 08:46:51 am »
Thanks for posting this Ian! :thumleft:

We don't have enough of "Do you remember the day" stories like this.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 08:47:39 am by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250