Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Standard plug keeps failing  (Read 779 times)

Offline Tallisman

Standard plug keeps failing
« on: December 12, 2016, 02:49:08 pm »
As topic suggests - when I service the bike and fit standard plug, it will fail before next service.
It appears to spark etc..however I suspect the insulation on the centre electrode fails and the spark is buried in the housing rather than at the tip (perhaps overheating).  I always resort to the dual electrode CE9 which was fitted to the bike when I purchased - Its still running with this plug today.

Bike is standard, standard exhaust, jetting etc...  Snorkle removed.  Any possible explainations....

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
Re: Standard plug keeps failing
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 10:39:37 am »
Wrong plug it's supposed to take a CR10E

You cab also use a CR10EK which is identical besides having two ground electrodes and being roughly twice as expensive. CR10EK's are usually available from BMW motorcycle agents since one of the twin spark oilheads used it as secondary plug.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 11:17:21 am »
As topic suggests - when I service the bike and fit standard plug, it will fail before next service.
It appears to spark etc..however I suspect the insulation on the centre electrode fails and the spark is buried in the housing rather than at the tip (perhaps overheating).  I always resort to the dual electrode CE9 which was fitted to the bike when I purchased - Its still running with this plug today.

Bike is standard, standard exhaust, jetting etc...  Snorkle removed.  Any possible explainations....
Removing the snorkel will make a lean std bike run even leaner - hotter.
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline Tallisman

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 05:22:07 pm »
CR10E is the one that keeps failing. Snorkel gone.

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 05:33:21 pm »
You not perhaps damaging the insulation by using a wrong plug spanner.

Offline Tallisman

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 11:28:56 am »
Good point - using thin walled tube spanner. But I think it only purchases on the hex frame. I did have one thought: Bike has always gone way better than it should, as I say more or less standard, however recently noticed CDI has been changed and is not original...

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 11:54:34 am »
A lean and hot running engine does have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the spark plugs heat value.
You can NOT fix a lean or rich running engine by fitting a different heat value spark plug.

Fit the snorkel or get the bike jetted.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 08:48:25 pm »
A lean and hot running engine does have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the spark plugs heat value.
You can NOT fix a lean or rich running engine by fitting a different heat value spark plug.

I think the part you missed is that your sparkplug can give a good indication of whether your engine is running too lean. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 08:50:46 pm by katana »
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 03:26:51 pm »

My experience is that they make it to last a few months only, or that there is a lot of duds out there.

Also had two fail on me in the past

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 05:41:44 pm »

I think the part you missed is that your sparkplug can give a good indication of whether your engine is running too lean. 

Indeed. If you know where to look. I explained that some time. Too lazy to search now.

My experience is that they make it to last a few months only, or that there is a lot of duds out there.

Also had two fail on me in the past

Never had a plug fail on any of my DR's. I run them 20,000km and still feel I'm wasting money since they look fine when I throw them, away.