Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Finally  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Warren Ellwood

Finally
« on: March 15, 2017, 06:09:54 pm »
I was once told, if you ride a BMW, it is not if you will own a 1200, but when.

We’ll I’ve owned 4 BMW’s. F650GS, F650GS Dakar, 2011 F800GS and then finally 2013 F800GS.

I also spent quite a few years calling 1200's Volksies, I said often that I would never own one as I in fact had a Volksie when I was a kid. I even gave stick to any new member I had to introduce at a BMW Club Meeting who owned a 1200GS when I was silly enough to be called the Chairman for three years.

And now I must eat humble pie.

We recently were finishing up some filming work in the Hermanus area and we happened to have a 2017 R1200GS LC Full Spec on hand which my wife ended up riding from Gans Baai to Hermanus. She had asked me to stop before we went through Hermanus as she was very intimidated by taking it through the traffic etc. due to her not really touching the ground properly.

But no one else was aware of her request, so only us two stopped to change as I had her bike (another gent was riding my 800).

Well, it didn’t take too long before my helmet wasn’t big enough for the smile.

Firstly, what an engine compared to the 800, and then the road handling, just wow.

Anyway, I thought, well it has got the 19inch front wheel so the tar handling will be superior, so I decided at the top of Shaws Pass to head for Franschoek Pass on gravel.

Now I am rather particular about set up and suspension, gear lever must be just so, handlebars nice and high etc. This LC was in no way what I would call comfortable for me in a standing position……….but I had so much fun, this thing really is easy to handle, turn, the acceleration is incredible and the brakes are stupidly effective. They had to beg for it back when we stopped on the top of Franschoek Pass.

So, by Monday morning I had made the decision. Unfortunately, the Trophy is the only one I could afford, but now that I’ve run it in during one weekend trip, I am starting to believe my lack of finances may have actually benefited me. I actually prefer the Trophy to the Full Spec.

All I can say is, I absolutely love it, and in fact, I have already eaten my hat as I promised to do during one particular meeting, my friends made sure of that.

It has also since been well and truly "Rock Foxed".

Next up, Hyperpro progressive springs front and back, think they arrived today in fact.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:45:22 pm by Warren Ellwood »
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
Re: Finally
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 06:40:42 pm »
 :laughing4:
Enjoy the bike and the hat  :)
Rallye

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 07:13:30 pm »
Enjoy Warren and ride safe wherever you ride. :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online DavidMorrisXp

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 07:32:31 pm »
Congratulations Warren, many happy km

Try it with the Rallye seat and you will feel like you are riding an 800 on steroids
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Online Frannarossi

• Vendor
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • karoorooster@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 07:59:21 am »
Congrats and enjoy the journey :thumleft:
If you don't live on the edge,you take up too much space!!!

Offline MickeyT

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 09:40:13 am »
I jumped directly from the 650 GS to the 1200, and have not looked back.  I did take the 800 for a spin, but gladly gave it back and got back on my bike.

Many safe miles!
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." – Philippe Halsman

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 11:19:56 pm »
Haha, ive been exactly in the same spot op.
So don't feel too bad.

Also now riding the 1200gs LC Trophy  :biggrin:
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline krister

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 09:38:51 am »
Great story - well told!  Congrats on your bike and many happy miles!   8) :thumleft: :ricky:

Tell a bit more about the Trophy, please.  Why do you like it more than full-spec?  What was the price difference at the time?
Previous Bikes: Suzuki TS50ER; Suzuki GS1000G; Kawasaki Z1000; Yamaha XT500; BMW F650GS; BMW R1150GS; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Offline Laban

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • "Ride my own Ride"
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 11:07:29 am »
...congrats...and enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
..."sometimes the people around you won't understand your journey, they don't need to, it's not for them"...Joubert Botha

...tie my own bootlaces…

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 11:19:22 am »
Congrats :thumleft:

I have a feeling that at some stage, despite my general dislike of big bikes (having owned all the smaller ones at a point  in time: Funduro, the GS 650 and a Dakar), the progression to the 1200 might just be inevitable.

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 12:35:38 pm »
Great story - well told!  Congrats on your bike and many happy miles!   8) :thumleft: :ricky:

Tell a bit more about the Trophy, please.  Why do you like it more than full-spec?  What was the price difference at the time?

I'll reply but the Trophy is cheaper (under correction but last I checked) R171K vs R205K for non Trophy. The Trophy loses the Electronic Suspension Adjustment and the Enduro Pro / Dynamic modes but retains Rain and Road modes. It loses the LED Indicators and Headlight.  The rest of the bike is the same.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:23:18 pm by Omninorm »
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline krister

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 01:04:37 pm »

I'll reply but the Trophy is cheaper (under correction but last I checked) R171K vs R205K for non Trophy. The Trophy loses the Electronic Suspension Adjustment and the Enduro Pro / Dynamic modes but retains Rain and Road modes. It loses the LED Indicators and Headlight.  The rest is the same.

Thanks!  :thumleft:
Previous Bikes: Suzuki TS50ER; Suzuki GS1000G; Kawasaki Z1000; Yamaha XT500; BMW F650GS; BMW R1150GS; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 01:20:51 pm »

I'll reply but the Trophy is cheaper (under correction but last I checked) R171K vs R205K for non Trophy. The Trophy loses the Electronic Suspension Adjustment and the Enduro Pro / Dynamic modes but retains Rain and Road modes. It loses the LED Indicators and Headlight.  The rest of the bike is the same.

Thanks!  :thumleft:

I forgot something else...
Cruise Control, the Trophy doesnt have it.

I forgot since I've just always had manual jobbies.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:22:33 pm by Omninorm »

Offline BlingKing

• Don't just fix it - BLING IT!
  • Vendors
  • I will suspend you!
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 02:54:05 pm »
I was once told, if you ride a BMW, it is not if you will own a 1200, but when.

We’ll I’ve owned 4 BMW’s. F650GS, F650GS Dakar, 2011 F800GS and then finally 2013 F800GS.

I also spent quite a few years calling 1200's Volksies, I said often that I would never own one as I in fact had a Volksie when I was a kid. I even gave stick to any new member I had to introduce at a BMW Club Meeting who owned a 1200GS when I was silly enough to be called the Chairman for three years.

And now I must eat humble pie.

We recently were finishing up some filming work in the Hermanus area and we happened to have a 2017 R1200GS LC Full Spec on hand which my wife ended up riding from Gans Baai to Hermanus. She had asked me to stop before we went through Hermanus as she was very intimidated by taking it through the traffic etc. due to her not really touching the ground properly.

But no one else was aware of her request, so only us two stopped to change as I had her bike (another gent was riding my 800).

Well, it didn’t take too long before my helmet wasn’t big enough for the smile.

Firstly, what an engine compared to the 800, and then the road handling, just wow.

Anyway, I thought, well it has got the 19inch front wheel so the tar handling will be superior, so I decided at the top of Shaws Pass to head for Franschoek Pass on gravel.

Now I am rather particular about set up and suspension, gear lever must be just so, handlebars nice and high etc. This LC was in no way what I would call comfortable for me in a standing position……….but I had so much fun, this thing really is easy to handle, turn, the acceleration is incredible and the brakes are stupidly effective. They had to beg for it back when we stopped on the top of Franschoek Pass.

So, by Monday morning I had made the decision. Unfortunately, the Trophy is the only one I could afford, but now that I’ve run it in during one weekend trip, I am starting to believe my lack of finances may have actually benefited me. I actually prefer the Trophy to the Full Spec.

All I can say is, I absolutely love it, and in fact, I have already eaten my hat as I promised to do during one particular meeting, my friends made sure of that.

It has also since been well and truly "Rock Foxed".

Next up, Hyperpro progressive springs front and back, think they arrived today in fact.

You are in soooooo much of shite straat with this supplier in fact...........
Professionals is Suspension Matters
We Service & Repair Dual Sport & Adventure Bikes
Upgrades, Repairs & Replacements of Shocks & Forks
Our quality is our key!

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 03:21:48 pm »
I was also told the Trophy is lighter due to the non ESA. I cannot actually say if it is as I haven't checked but maybe that was stuck in my head and maybe it thus felt lighter :biggrin:.

I always thought I would be very intimidated by the size and weight, truth is when you're moving, you just don't feel it at all. It actually feels almost nimble, bearing in mind we are talking about plain old gravel travel here, the usual rough bits but no very demanding or technical stuff, so far.

I parked it at a gate, went to open said gate and a few seconds later heard my mates yelling as my new bike was making its way towards me on its own and fell over just in front of me. So having already had the pleasure of picking it up, it picks up much easier than my 800, or even my wife's 650.

I also got a fairly decent price as BMW had the whole trade assist thing and I was one of the lucky ones who got one of four bikes they had listed at an older price, think a batch the dealer bought in 2016. I also cannot say for sure how much I paid, the only stipulation from the wife was that the payment was not too change, well not drastically.

I also prefer the Trophy for its simplicity. I am not a fan of too many electronics, settings etc. I realize they all help and improve the ride / safety but too many buttons just distract me.

Anyway, its got its progressives front and rear now and I am looking forward to finding out the difference they make.

"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 03:36:46 pm »
"You are in soooooo much of shite straat with this supplier in fact..........."

Ahhh Denver, it came down to a choice, seeing Mikey, whom I ride with almost every weekend, with a long face just about every single day for the next year or more, or upsetting you just a little bit  ;D.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:23:22 pm by Warren Ellwood »

Offline BlingKing

• Don't just fix it - BLING IT!
  • Vendors
  • I will suspend you!
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 08:28:55 am »
"You are in soooooo much of shite straat with this supplier in fact..........."

Ahhh Denver, it came down to a choice, seeing Mikey, whom I ride with almost every weekend, with a long face just about every single day for the next year or more, or upsetting you just a little bit  ;D.

Forsooth thou doth utter with forked tongue.........Mikey is bigger than me, Phhhhhhtttttt  >:D
And there you could have had a free set of yummy shox to "test" and report on ..........
I am evil aren't I  8)
Professionals is Suspension Matters
We Service & Repair Dual Sport & Adventure Bikes
Upgrades, Repairs & Replacements of Shocks & Forks
Our quality is our key!

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 03:40:48 pm »
I'd like your feedback w.r.t how it handles offroad compared to the 800GS if you get a chance.
 :thumleft:

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 03:52:22 pm »
Brilliant, Warren: i too overhead your 'jibes' S-O many times, that you must indeed eat Humble Pie!

But in truth, it is 'Umble Pie'  ;)  (I know you enjoy what is 'behind' a word/name...)

The expression derives from umble pie, which was a pie filled with the chopped or minced parts of a beast's 'pluck' - the heart, liver, lungs or 'lights' and kidneys, especially of deer[/b] but often other meats. Umble evolved from numble, (after the French nomble) meaning 'deer's innards'.[/size][1][/size][2][/size][/font]
[/size]It has occasionally been suggested that 'umbles' were considered inferior food and that in medieval times, the pie was often served to lower-class people, possibly following speculation in Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable but there is little evidence for this.[/size][citation needed[/i]][/size] Early references in cookbooks such as Liber Cure Cocorum[/i] present a grand dish with exotic spices.[/size][/font]
[/size]Although "umbles" and the modern word "humble" are etymologically unrelated, each word has appeared with and without the initial "h" after the Middle Ages until the 19th century. Since the sound "h" is dropped in many dialects, the phrase was rebracketed as "humble pie".[/size][citation needed[/i]][/size] While "umble" is now gone from the language, the phrase remains, carrying the fossilized word as an idiom.[/size][/font]

Enjoy the bike!
Chris
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S33°54.712 E018°28.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S33°54.712 E018°28.208

Offline TheBear

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 09:25:11 pm »
I was also told the Trophy is lighter due to the non ESA. I cannot actually say if it is as I haven't checked but maybe that was stuck in my head and maybe it thus felt lighter :biggrin:.

I have heard this too, but can the ESA be heavy enough to make a noticeable difference? 
.#BRADICAL!