Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 690 cutting out Need Urgent help!!  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Bushcat

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
690 cutting out Need Urgent help!!
« on: March 17, 2017, 11:07:58 am »
Hi Gents, my '10/11 690 just cuts at random then fires up and goes without missing a beat.
Bike is currently with Wayne of KTM Durban whom is at his wits end as they cannot find  the problem.
Has no faults on Diagnostic checks, regulator fine, injector fine, fuel pump fine, coil fine,Plug fine, etc etc.

He has tried everything over the last 3/4 weeks, i am frustrated as hell as i refuse to give up on my bike and do not want to sell it .

Is there any fundi's that can help?
Motorsport is the only sport, the rest are just GAMES!!

Offline bud500

Re: 690 cutting out Need Urgent help!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 11:15:38 am »
I'm no fundi, but did you check the sidestand cutout switch?
Sometimes the wiring is faulty due to damage from rocks, or the spring on the sidestand gets warn out, in which case the sidestand bounces too much while riding and thus the bike cuts out intermittently.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:18:17 am by bud500 »
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline spankme

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 11:16:35 am »
had same problem on the 390 duke.
reloaded the mapping and since then not done it

Offline Bushcat

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 11:45:36 am »
Sde Stand not the problem, remapped not the problem, gear shaft switch not the problem :BangHead:

Offline bud500

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 11:47:16 am »
Ok, my last guess, have you swapped the battery with a new one?
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline Tiger

• Wilddawg in training
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 02:30:00 pm »
For what its worth....I had a cracked spark plug cap at the bottom which caused the same shaait.........new cap all seems fine now
KDX 200; KLR 650; XR 500; KTM 990; KTM 690

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 03:16:01 pm »
For what its worth....I had a cracked spark plug cap at the bottom which caused the same shaait.........new cap all seems fine now

:thumleft:

They chew spark plugs for breakfast for some reason .

Offline MaxThePanda

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 06:31:25 pm »
You checked the earth connection? If it was injector/fuel pump I'd expect performance to be up and down - it's not a on/off thing, well until it's really off.  If a wire is (semi) broken or the connection is bad it could be the issue.

Offline zacapa

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 06:40:04 pm »
From your biased group of riding buddy friends you know what our answer would be. This has been going on now for more than a year where the Bushcat 690 with regular certainty will
fail to finish the ride. Everyone is tired now of evacuating your 690 from terra firma in a valley 100km from home on a regular basis. Have you checked your kill switch? No-one has mentioned
that possibility yet. Best of luck bud and hope to see you out there soon on a bike that can do what it's supposed to do.

Offline Bushcat

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 08:22:50 am »
Fook off you kraut,  it's only been doing it for a month  :dousing:

It started off by breaking down under low rpm in the tech/slow stuff, went in came back stood for two weeks, fired up idle perfectly and did a perfect ride with high speed and slow tech stuff was perfect. ;D
Stood for a week did a ride got 5 ks, symptoms reappeared,  went back :-[
Got it back did about 65ks, to work and back &was perfect  :thumleft:
Parked for a week did another ride and same thing 8ks & same problem  >:(

Went in and this symptom ( starts breaking down and looses power, stop revs cleanly, but pull off and no power, gets progressively worse until late won't start up again) disappeared, but then the bike started the new symptom,
Bike would die when you were pulling off under low revs,. :-\

The cutting out was resolved and then yesterday we did a ride, 52ks of pure bliss , not one cut out or stall, and went back to the original symptom of breaking down under load :BangHead:

Wayne has,checked injector, tested throttle position  sensor, reset shim clearances, bypassed Sidestrand,  load tested battery, load tested fuel pump, remapped numerous times,  yesterday when it was running well it would idle at about 1500 rpm.
When the symptoms reappeared,  idle dropped down to about 500 rpm, sounded like an old lister motor.

Where do I get that botch aftermarket pump someone mentioned, and how and where do I mount it?

It is a 2011/2010, and I have had absolutely no electronic/ electrical kaka in 32500 ks, at 20 000 it did the rocker bearing pin, and was perfect.
Getting recovered by my Toyota legend 40 was bad enough, then being towed in by a Honda XR 650 L, was embarrassing enough, & to top it off I was humiliated by being towed by a mate on his first ride with his klr 650 that he just bought for 20 grand  on the freeway!! :peepwall:
Can anyone of you gurus please give some sensible advise?

Offline Colin Kaapschehoop

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Life is a journey, death is the destination
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 09:51:57 am »
On page 2 13 Sept 2016 Altie7deLaan had a similar problem. Seems fuels pumps are also a common issue even on brand new Husky 701s. Unfortunately electronics can sometimes only be sorted by eliminating each possible reason one at a time.

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 10:47:04 am »

Where do I get that botch aftermarket pump someone mentioned, and how and where do I mount it?

Discussion on this topic is here - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=185039.msg3437463#msg3437463

How to install - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fuel+pump+ktm+690

Good luck and ask your mates to be nice to you. 
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline witblitz

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 04:26:28 pm »
Turn the spark plug cap off the wire, check the wire for corrosion. If there is corrosion (Copper of the wire is green and looks frail), cut off about 10mm of wire and turn it into the cap again. Try again. Also seal it up with silicone grease so that it cannot get wet again.

Swap the regulator/rectifier off a running bike and put it on yours and see how it runs. They might need to get some heat before showing problems.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 05:08:59 pm »
I take it back - I thought the bike would run or cut out. From your description of the issues, I think this definitely sounds like a combination either/or fuel pump and injector. I'd swap out the pump and injector and test - load report or not.

Offline roburt

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 11:45:13 am »
Since no one has mentioned it I will :-), I am sure you did this, but did you do the 15 minute idle ? My bike use to randomly die at robots as I pulled away and did the 15 minute idle thing (but make sure to do it corectly, there is some steps online) and since then my bike has not cut out again.
GSA 1150,KTM 690,KDX 200

Offline Toors

• Bike: KTM 1050 Adventure
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 12:15:10 pm »
Typically it is the side stand - when you ride over bumps the side stand jump up and down and when it goes down the electric cuts out - fit the side stand bypass to start (or just tie the stand in to check) - then it can be any electric wiring - spark play - or other wires that has rubbed trough.  But I'll start with checking the kill switch....
KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv
Silent Submerge N-19 Saltwater
  "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who is already doing it..."  Sheck Exley

Offline Bushcat

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 02:49:53 pm »
Thanks for the input guys, Wayne is trying everything that you guys are suggesting, i ordered a new pump from fuel performance, to be used or if doesnt make a difference it becomes a spare.
Sidestand bypassed, new kill switch, regulator was swopped out., new plug was fitted , plug cap & lead were checked, ALL connectors were checked & cleaned,15min idle reset done, throttle set up done, full service done, fresh fuel done, battery load tested..............................................................................................???????????????????????????????

Offline Tiger

• Wilddawg in training
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 02:58:26 pm »
Has your problem been resolved?  :sip:
KDX 200; KLR 650; XR 500; KTM 990; KTM 690

Offline zacapa

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 04:33:07 pm »

Offline Bushcat

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 07:51:26 am »
Zacappa it will take more than this to convert me to a Braaap XR 650 but it's getting close!
How's your hands's starting issues?

Bike is running like dream after new injector and fuel pump, BUT !! When she gets hot she stalls intermittently  under low rpm?