Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: fork stanchion separation issue  (Read 9122 times)

Offline Imran

fork stanchion separation issue
« on: June 23, 2017, 08:20:07 am »
With so much attention drawn to the fork issue on GS/GSA LC models, I'm concerned. Is the fork tube allowed to be rotated by hand or should this be tight? Did a quick test yesterday-pulled down rubber boot, visually checked gap between fork tube and tube plug-seemed fine, twisted the fork tube by hand, it rotates, did the same to the other one, same outcome. Is this normal? Should I be concerned that the fork stanchions have failed?
Some say I lack ambition,
I say I value my freedom.

Offline JABO

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Centurion
Re: fork stanchion separation issue
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 08:21:52 am »
Don't stress.
It is normal for them to rotate.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Freedom is when you get to a T-junction and think to yourself.
AAAAAAAAAAAAGH I think I'll go left.

www.riot-gear.co.za

Online Omninorm

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 01:03:07 pm »
Over 70 000 of them sold since 2013... a few issues. I wont be too hung up about it. Just check them like one should check any bike periodically to make sure everything is still good.

Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Online Mayhem

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Do it in the dirt
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 01:16:30 pm »
There will be a re-call on all K50 & K51 fork stanchions, was at Donfords this morning and they (BMW) are issuing a press release today I believe. They will be fitting a press on stainless steel collar to strengthen the top crimp. This is just a precaution as it seems to only be an issue on guys that abuse/ride hard off-road and even  then not all. :deal: :ricky: When you take your bike in for a service they will do the up-grade for free.
BMW 1150 Adventure (gone)
BMW HP 2 (gone)
Ducati 500 Pantah (gone)
1200 LC Trophy Edition (gone)
BMW R 1200 Rallye, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 01:29:31 pm »
Chatted with dude at Bavarian yesterday.  They have been monitoring the fork stanchions since January.  Every service, or workshop visit, they would measure the gap and report to Motorrad.  He believe the issue is not serious and only bikes regularly used on "black routes" may be affected.  Anyway, he confirmed there will be a recall within the next few days or so.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline genie

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 02:20:35 pm »
The definition of regular use on black routes is obviously open to interpretation. How are you going to know whether your use fall into this category? At face value this sounds like a cavalier attitude. I find it puzzling as the consequences can obviously be fatal.
My bike was checked this week while it was in the workshop and judged to be OK as there was no gap - apparently up to a 2 mm gap is allowed.

Online BLK

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 02:29:03 pm »
I have seen the fix and looks neat and tidy.Can't comment on the Engineering aspect of it.I think use common sense  should be applied and just check before and after each ride for obvious oil seepage or gap.I think it really does apply to if you are going to be doing serious black routes or riding the bike like a MX machine that you should be cautious until your bike has been fixed.

Offline adrekruger

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 02:31:28 pm »
SUB

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 02:45:59 pm »
Just before the GS trophy, during a tyre-fitting visit to Bavarian they picked up that mine was separating, and replaced the stanchions. I am by no means a black route rider, and don't abuse my bike. In fact, my skills fall far short of serious offroading so I stick to gravel roads and such. Done breedts nek a few times though, but wouldn't consider that to be black route.

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 04:22:25 pm »
Just spoke to dealer in Nelspruit - they have received their special tool already, but parts to fit only as from Monday. ALL bikes will be fitted, irrespective of any obvious separation or not.

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 05:36:54 pm »
The definition of regular use on black routes is obviously open to interpretation. How are you going to know whether your use fall into this category? At face value this sounds like a cavalier attitude. I find it puzzling as the consequences can obviously be fatal.
My bike was checked this week while it was in the workshop and judged to be OK as there was no gap - apparently up to a 2 mm gap is allowed.

Keep in mind, I typed a paragraph to summarize a reasonably long and interesting discussion.  You should therefore not read anything about attitudes into that, nor find it puzzling.  The definition of black route was pretty clear to me and I thought most WildDogs would understand, so I used it.  It would be the worst and most challenging routes on a GS challenge. 

« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 05:38:49 pm by TheBear »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline gee

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 09:05:57 am »
i was in for my 10k service and a bike was brought in that the fork that had separated. I think if you riding and it happens it could be nasty. They put new shocks on mine the same time too;D.

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
.#BRADICAL!

Offline windswept

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 01:28:49 pm »
i was in for my 10k service and a bike was brought in that the fork that had separated. I think if you riding and it happens it could be nasty. They put new shocks on mine the same time too;D.

New shocks front and back?  ???

Offline fudgypup

• Beyond Starbucks
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 05:14:45 pm »
I have been following this since last November after I saw it happen on two bikes at the same event.  I started a thread in May here:https://xladv.com/topic/1060-gsgsa-fork-stanchion-problems/

And then yesterday wrote this: https://xladv.com/blogs/entry/10166-bmws-gs-lc-fork-stanchion-issues-linger/

In essence, BMW applied this crimping as a band aid to a previously flawed design they discovered less than two months after the death of journalist Kevin Ash in George at the launch in 2013.

I had read the crimped forks were done to save weight (and cost) but that appears not to be the case.

So it appears the forks have been crap and a known issue since at least April of 2013 and they're only now doing something about it after countless failures and accidents.

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 05:36:57 pm »
I have been following this since last November after I saw it happen on two bikes at the same event.  I started a thread in May here:https://xladv.com/topic/1060-gsgsa-fork-stanchion-problems/

And then yesterday wrote this: https://xladv.com/blogs/entry/10166-bmws-gs-lc-fork-stanchion-issues-linger/

In essence, BMW applied this crimping as a band aid to a previously flawed design they discovered less than two months after the death of journalist Kevin Ash in George at the launch in 2013.

I had read the crimped forks were done to save weight (and cost) but that appears not to be the case.

So it appears the forks have been crap and a known issue since at least April of 2013 and they're only now doing something about it after countless failures and accidents.
I don't know what changed, but my DOHC has the same crimps anyway.
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline fudgypup

• Beyond Starbucks
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 05:41:20 pm »
same design but different manufacturing.  I had an '11 GSA and never had this issue.

Offline fudgypup

• Beyond Starbucks
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 06:22:09 pm »
and now this new piece of news...https://xladv.com/topic/1060-gsgsa-fork-stanchion-problems/?do=findComment&comment=8061

US based BMW service tech at dealer instructing "not to ride your LC GS/GSA until this issue resolved"

Anticipates major recall notice from BMW USA on Monday, June 26th and dealers will be instructed NOT to sell any new or used inventory until the issue has been resolved.

Offline Kawasefi

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys

Offline Jovan

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2017, 09:45:26 pm »
Anyone got any pictures of what the fix looks like?