Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Has anyone else fitted the "side stand switch protector" from "Go Gravel " ???  (Read 943 times)

Offline Jonathan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
As per heading , have any of you fitted the R1200GSA side stand switch protector made by Go Gravel ?
I bought one of these ( from Flying Brick) & fitted it, at first i was rather stumped as there are NO fitting instructions, so i used my pal Google , who gave me a step by step guide & a quick video.
My point is that i must be doing, or have done something incorrectly as when you use the side stand it actually loosens the socket head cap screw ( supplied in the kit), this eventually makes the side stand switch so loose that the cover falls off , or (as in my case) damages the side stand switch, the very thing that it is supposed to protect.
So i ask the boffins out there, is this a kak design or is it me that has made the mistake ? I would think that instead of the spacer supplied in the kit , it should actually have a bearing, so that when you tighten the switch down the operation of the side stand cannot / doesn't loosen the socket head cap screw.
WTF ?????????
See the pics below for more info, i was rather pissed off as i had to pay R700 bucks for a new side stand switch & do not want a repeat occurrence ,,,,,,,,,,, has anybody on this forum perhaps done it differently ?
All advise will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jon

Offline hedleyj

Did you use loctite (thread glue) on the cap screw on the centre stand

In the video you can see the blue loctite on the original one that is removed and then in the video they tell you to use "thread glue"

Just asking
I'm sure the sun goes around the earth twice a day.

Offline Jonathan

HeyHedley,
Thanks for the response, you are right, i didn't use thread glue, will just have to get some loctite ...............but to me the engineering is just incorrect, i mean by operating the side stand it shouldn't loosen the cap screw ?

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
...............but to me the engineering is just incorrect, i mean by operating the side stand it shouldn't loosen the cap screw ?

I agree with your reasoning.

But, having paid plenty of good moohlas for such a bike, shouldn’t the necessary protection already be part of such a bike when bought? Isn’t it like buying an expensive wetsuit and then afterwards having to buy stuff to watertight the seams?
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline hedleyj

Eberhard. I know what you are intending but a wetsuit should never be watertight 😀😀
I'm sure the sun goes around the earth twice a day.

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
Apologies for a not so correct analogue. As they say, a good mind needs half a word.  :thumleft:
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
Did you insert the spacer between the protector itself and the switch? Also, how easy does your switch operate? Had a friend whose pin broke off as the switch was very very tight, placing more stress on the pin the pushes into the sidestand. Cleaning out the switch solved this. If your switch is too hard to operate it will also add stress to the center part, which could work the screw loose.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:43:47 am by OomD »

Offline Jonathan

Yes, from the socket head cap screw down,   :laughing4:
the screw,
a flat washer,
The protective bracket cover,
another flat washer,
The spacer ,
the side stand switch assy,

The side stand actually pivots around a large torx headed screw, this larger screw has been drilled from the other side & tapped,   :deal:
This is where the socket head cap screw screws into, so the engineering just doesn't make sense,,,,,,
i.e., i would better understand if in place of the spacer it had a bearing type assy, so that the cap screw wouldn't loosen itself with the opening of the side stand ...... :3some: :

Offline Jonathan

See larger pics below,,,,,

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
The centre race of the switch is what the screw presses against... There should be no turning force against the screw. If there is, your switch is too tight, in the sense that it does not turn easily. Try spraying some WD40 into it in this case, or disassemble and clean it.

Also, try putting the washer between the spacer and the switch... The washer being metal will have less fritcion against the switch's inner race, whereas the plastic spacer will tend to grip more.

Edit: your switch does have it's inner race in place?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:58:05 am by OomD »

Offline KarooKid

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
I have indeed fitted one to my bike.

Firstly I would like to categorically state that I am a danger to myself with tools in hand.

Therefore I watched tot step by step tutorial on the GoGravel website on how to install it. The video is excellent and explains it in a simple way.

Despite that I still managed to screw it up. I overtightend the screw and damaged the switch.

Nothing wrong with the product, but it made we wonder - is this a solution to a problem we do not have? I have seen only one damaged sidestand switch in 15 years.

Or is this like insurance or a life jacket. You do not want it, but would prefer for it to be there when you need it?

I am also no engineer. Any thoughts on the design? Can they improve somewhere?
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies

Offline Jonathan

The centre race of the switch is what the screw presses against... There should be no turning force against the screw. If there is, your switch is too tight, in the sense that it does not turn easily. Try spraying some WD40 into it in this case, or disassemble and clean it.

Also, try putting the washer between the spacer and the switch... The washer being metal will have less fritcion against the switch's inner race, whereas the plastic spacer will tend to grip more.

Edit: your switch does have it's inner race in place?

Oom D, yes i agree with what you are saying , however when you assemble the switch without the protection cover then the fastening screw remains tight , but when you assemble it with the protection cover , the side stand still has to be able to move , then it starts to work the cap screw loose.   :laughing4:
It is this engineering that i don't understand ,,,,,,,, it should not be like that , the operation of the side stand should not loosen the cap screw !!!  :deal:
 @Karookid , i also damaged my side stand switch & had to buy a new one which cost me around R800 ,,,, this is exactly what the supposed protection cover is meant to prevent ,,,, so in my eyes a huge FAIL and the fact that the cap screw works loose when operating the sidestand is to me an indication of a very poor design..  :xxbah:

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
Having just looked at the video again, I see that at the 30s mark, when the side stand is pushed down, the original torx bolt rotates with the side stand. Immediately this implies that the same rotational force will be applied to the new allan-cap bolt that is fitted with the protective cover, which would work it loose.

So I went to my bike quickly and had a look... the allan-cap bolt does indeed rotate with the sidestand.

This is not a good design.

Maybe the sidestand design was such that the center screw did not rotate, at the time that GoGravel designed their bracket, and was changed afterwards? I don't know, you should take this up with the GoGravel guys.

Fair disclosure: It is me in the video, although I do not work for GoGravel. I'm ashamed to say I did not notice this design flaw when I made the video.

Offline paulb

You must use a shoulder bolt.
Better to have it and not need it , than to need it and not have it

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
Yes, that would solve it.  :thumleft:

Offline kwassi

Morning

I'll be sending Jonathan a Pm to chat with him.
I believe Chris from Flying Brick will also be contacting him.

Thanks for all the response and feedback.

GoGravel
Solo travellers should not be considered unsociable, they are expressing their independence until they choose to do otherwise.

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
Morning

I'll be sending Jonathan a Pm to chat with him.
I believe Chris from Flying Brick will also be contacting him.

Thanks for all the response and feedback.

GoGravel
Are you planning to update your design?

Offline kwassi

We've been looking at a desgin change for some time but we have not come to a conclusion yet.
Solo travellers should not be considered unsociable, they are expressing their independence until they choose to do otherwise.

Offline Jonathan

Hey Guys, yes i believe that this may just sort it out too, or else perhaps a thrust bearing type washer between the cap screw & the protective cover , this would allow the side stand to pivot without working the cap screw loose.

I did have a chat with Albert from "Go Gravel" this morning, he did say that they were considering to alter the design , to sort this problem out.
He also mentioned that with hundreds of these sold i was most probably the only person who bitched about  the design ,,  :laughing4:
I said that perhaps many more people had also damaged their side stand switches , but were just too embarrassed to admit it  :pot:
Anyhow , all is good, perhaps a shoulder bolt will be the answer.  :thumleft:
I also asked why the socket head cap screw could not be shipped with "loctite" ( thread lock) on the thread ready for application, he has also agreed to look into this.
Anyhow it was great to discuss this on the forum & get additional input, thanx to all those who participated.  :3some:   :spitcoffee:
Regs,
Jon   

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Jonathan (B?), cannot find your name in our records, could you please give us a call?

thanks
Chris & team
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S33°54.712 E018°28.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S33°54.712 E018°28.208