Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why would you not buy a Triumph XCX 800 ?  (Read 4516 times)

Offline Saddle Up

Why would you not buy a Triumph XCX 800 ?
« on: July 10, 2017, 04:23:16 pm »
Ok. So following Gerrards successful manner in approaching a what bike problem, I figured I'll follow the same route.

Took XCX  for a little ride this morning, albeit tar only. Have to say that these bikes have always had my attention, reason being, looks,  build quality and motor performance. I was blown away by the power of this machine, but I just had this nagging feeling that the bike feels road orientated. Would have been great to ride some gravel to give me more of a feel for the scoot. I measure in at 1,8 and it felt as if I was in a crouching position all the time. Perhaps bar raisers would sort that, but the bars positioned at a lean angle towards the rider just looks odd.

Currently Triumph has a sweet deal on these bikes and one would almost be stupid to grab one. Still........ Perhaps a older F800 and a Dr650 in the garage is a better bet. Then I have a long distance bike in the F800 that can carry myself, son on pillion and luggage with ease. And jump on the the Dr for thumping pleasure which is close to my heart. I have to confess that the BMW does nothing for my heart rate and I have also never ridden one. That does not negate the fact that they are able and reliable.

So let me hear from the guys with experience on both the Triumph and BMW 800's

n Skaap is nie n scrambler

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
Re: Why would you not buy a Triumph XCX 800 ?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 04:57:43 pm »
You either need to be young and stupid or old & wise to ride that triple...it's a handful. I have ridden both but the Triumph comes up roses for me even though not a traditional DS motor.
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline unishaun

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 05:03:21 pm »
I love mine and done plenty of dirt with it, I have not ridden an 800gs, but the write ups do say it is the more off road oriented of the two.

The only reason to not consider one is the fact that the dealer support is not nearly as abundant as the likes of BM.

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 05:04:14 pm »
They say buy with your heart, not your head. Some think I bought that KLR with my head... I did not... I must have bought with my heart.

Had I used my head, and following the thread, I would not have bought one. :imaposer:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Online Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 06:19:09 pm »
Very very expensive services at the dealers and kak zero dealer support in KZN. Not sure what the dealer support is like in other provinces. Pity cause I have a huge soft spot for the 1200 explorer.
Pass this way once!

Offline Saddle Up

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 06:35:18 pm »
@Piston - It seems you understand my feelings for the Tiger

@unisaun - I remember that the write ups on the XC was against it on offroad riding, but it seems as if the XCX had a few niggles sorted that makes it compete better against the
 F800

@Gerrard - Ja swaer. Ek verstaan daai redenasie heel mooi

@Battlestar - I have enquired regarding the service aspect and it did sound pricey, but not much more than Yamaha. Fortunately, Triumph is not to far from me, so support is close by, but could become a issue elsewhere.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 07:32:16 pm »
I Had the XC and it is a great bike, especially if you are coming from a road bike background.
I don't say it is not good at dirt riding, I have done a bit of dirt riding but it was not easy for me as it needs a bit more revs than I was used to (KLR Thumper/low revs) on and I do not like revving things to perform off road if that makes sense. Yes the trip has loads of torque but it still needs to be revved to get the power down.
I got it sideways on occasional and even 180degree which was unintended although my son though I was cool  :imaposer: Very light handling (my reference)

The bad: The service agents at Kawasaki (where Triumph is based) was a painful experience, and expensive. I did not suffer the 'common problems' on mine but sold it with low km's.
Stepper motor that got dirty and then the bike is very temperamental (probably because I did not ride it hard on dirt)
XCX is nor ride by wire and do not have the stepper motor.
The starter motor gave problems on most and I have read still do.
The biggest concern is the valves that work into the head - this happened on the Daytona and street tripple and then high mileage XC's. I was at Pretoria North bike tyre which is also a bike workshop and the mechanic showed me what happens. This is normally anything from 70k km up. Very expensive fix this one, and I do not know if this is fixed on the XCX and the new range of 765 Street tripple motors that has recently been launched as upgrade to the 675.
The 800 XC motor is based on the Street tripple - just reworked for more torque.
I also do not know if you can prevent this with regular valve clearance - but they told me that you need to drop the motor to set it....and that ads labor cost.
Then to reach the Air filter you need to remove the tank - now I can do it and did do it but it if you are not technically minded I'd say don't go there.
There is also a pre filter (a must!) which helps.

Still, nothing in the class beats it for power, sound and pure joy. If you have a good dealership near you and enough money for the services why not? This is one bike you buy with your heart.

Offline XRRX

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 09:18:29 pm »
The 800 Triumph's is good if you are more road orientated...
Let's see - why would I not buy one?? ...

1.  I hate the motor - typical superbike "k@K" sound and power-delivery - only makes power at high revs! I took a friend's one up a mountain on a rocky trail (cause he couldn't), it was an absolute nightmare!!!  :eek7: :patch:
2.  I hate the huge distance between seating position and handle-bars ....
3.  Not enough Dealers!

That's about it!
The 800GS is a better all-rounder WITH proper back-up, and the AT is better everywhere!!

But still - if you like it, buy and enjoy it!!!  :thumleft:

Online Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 07:02:28 am »
The 800 Triumph's is good if you are more road orientated...
Let's see - why would I not buy one?? ...

1.  I hate the motor - typical superbike "k@K" sound and power-delivery - only makes power at high revs! I took a friend's one up a mountain on a rocky trail (cause he couldn't), it was an absolute nightmare!!!  :eek7: :patch:
2.  I hate the huge distance between seating position and handle-bars ....
3.  Not enough Dealers!

That's about it!
The 800GS is a better all-rounder WITH proper back-up, and the AT is better everywhere!!

But still - if you like it, buy and enjoy it!!!  :thumleft:

Forgot about point 2. Also could never get the geometry right even with various types of risers fitted. This was on a mates Tiger when i was keen on getting one.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:03:03 am by Battlestar »
Pass this way once!

Offline Saddle Up

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 07:44:04 am »
Ja. Whats up with that? I can't make sense of that, figured fitting raisers would perhaps kind of sort that problem to a degree, however the bars would still be at a awkward slant and would definitely still not allow for a more aggressive over the bars position that I prefer for some conditions.

Offline dirt rat

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 07:44:21 am »
Had one - nice ride but if dirt is your thing it is not the best bike - access to the airfilter is painful - the old model had idling issues as soon as it smelled dirt and at 25000km it came to halt with a flattened intake valve.
That was enough to put me off this bike forever.

Offline Buddy

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 08:00:47 am »

Because you can get a Triumph Scrambler.
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline Dux

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 08:19:56 am »

Because you can get a Triumph Scrambler.

:thumleft:  :thumleft:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Saddle Up

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 08:24:24 am »
The scrambler and Thrux. Can't keep my eyes off them. Next level beautiful.

Online Renrew

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 08:31:53 am »
What's the price of the 800xcx?
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Swannie 685

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 09:49:45 am »
They say buy with your heart, not your head. Some think I bought that KLR with my head... I did not... I must have bought with my heart.

Had I used my head, and following the thread, I would not have bought one. :imaposer:

Yep and that thread led to more brand bashing than 2SD could ever accomplished in all his postings on BMW`s  :peepwall:

And yet, you ended up buying one, although in your very first post you declared you would not  :biggrin:
And then after 10 pages you bought one - traitor  :imaposer:

But, hell guys. are we going to see threads like these on every damn brand available now ?  :xxbah: :pot:

But in the event you really cannot decide between 2 bikes, why not post in the positive ?  Like: Why would you buy ???..instead of why wouldn`t you buy ?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:52:37 am by Swannie 685 »
Wanneer ek iets wil herstel, is dit heeltemal gef*k daarna.

Vorige bikes: Suzuki 50cc, Yamaha 185,Honda 250,Kawasaki Z650, Kawasaki Z1000, Honda CB900F en Suzuki DR500. Tans Kawasaki KLR 685

Offline Saddle Up

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 10:03:48 am »
To bring out all the perceived negatives of specific bikes.

Online m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 10:05:26 am »
Why so negative Swannie ^^^^? Cause you ride a KLR :)

I like these threads, its a lot of information, comparative on topic information, in a short discussion.

from what I always understood when comparing the 800 tiger and GS, one needs to look at the specific years they were made. Each year each of these had certain upgrades so that one year the one is a better option and the next year could be the other.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 10:14:47 am »
What's the price of the 800xcx?

R159k

and then currently they have some special where they give you R10k - not sure if it then makes the bike R149k or if you can get extras for free to the value of R10k

i guess it would be the later as they never actually reduce the price of anything

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 10:24:52 am »
Lol..you lot are a bunch of pussies. You know you want the Triumph, but then everyone else is riding the BMW so you are scared.  On Saturday I rode my XCX over 600km into the Cedarberg, lots of dirt and even mud at Malmesbury. No problems. One of the group was on a GS800 with kak suspension, underpowered motor and looked lovingly all-day at the Triumph. I have done 20 000 km in 1.5 years without issue except for blown fuse.  Did blast from CPT to Durban, two days up, two days down. No problems
The XCX comes with tons of standard kit, WP suspension, full electronics kit, cruise control, bash plates, two aux plugs,  etc.  .  Lots of fun and has never dropped me. Done Die Hell, Baviaans, and more.  Triumph services cost  no more than BMW. This is a bike you want to ride and ride.  Very addictive. But hey rather buy a BMW whose suspension snaps off, far more fun.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk