Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike Tire shops in Windhoek??  (Read 428 times)

Offline YoungGSer

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Ride the WORLD
Bike Tire shops in Windhoek??
« on: May 18, 2018, 08:42:56 am »
Hi Guys

This message is mainly directed at the Dawgz in Namibia or guys who are familiar with Windhoek.

I知 traveling up from the eastern cape through Namibia at the end of next month and I知 looking to change my current rubber over to something fresh before I hit the dirt so I知 looking for recommendations on good places to have my bike tires changed over in Windhoek?.

I値l be bringing the rear tire with me as I知 not sure what the options will be like when I get there.

There doesn稚 seem to be a whole lot of info online about services bike shops provide in Nam other than the BMW dealer so any info will be appreciated.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Original Barstool Prophet

R1200 GS Adventure 2017

Offline Xpat

Re: Bike Tire shops in Windhoek??
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 09:38:47 am »
There is at least Yamaha, KTM and BMW dealers in Windhoek. There is also Yamaha dealer in Swakopmiund. I have direct experience only with those Yamaha dealerships, and they do have enough tyres to find your fit - unless you are hell bent on something specific. I think brands like Continental or Mitas are available, I'm sure others as well (don't remember now what I bought in Windhoek.

Carrying tyre on bike is big no for me - I have done it on my first trip to India and it was just stupid. Namibia is not exactly heart of darkness (leaving aside that you can change tyre also in Upington where there is BMW dealer). My advice would be to leave tyres at home and just get new ones in Windhoek. They will be pricier, but the added enjoyment of riding without that unwieldy bulk will more than compensate for it.

Just find phone numbers of those dealerships, call them and ask what they have and order one so that it is waiting for you. They can also ship it anywhere in Namibia easily for quick delivery.

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33ー54.712 E018ー28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 09:41:37 am »
YoungGSer - i reckon XPAT gives you some good advice, i concur, rather get when you are in Upington, or Windhoek.

Chees, Chris
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S33ー54.712 E018ー28.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S33ー54.712 E018ー28.208

Offline Xpat

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 09:50:25 am »
Tel numbers for:

Yamaha Windhoek: +264 6129 24050

Yamaha Swakop: +264 6440 1081

These are the numbers I have. That Windhoek number looks suspicious - long by one digit. But I'm sure google will help you quick.

Offline YoungGSer

• Ride the WORLD
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 09:51:28 am »
Thanks guys

I知 not riding with the tire on the back of the bike. My father is joining on this leg of the trip as we are doing some 4x4 driving in Koakaland so he is transporting my panniers and tire up from PE and I知 going to ride all the way up.

We were going to tow the bike up but hiring a trailer has become a pain so I値l just have to do the run on tar.

Why I I知 changing over in Windhoek is that I have another 8k km to ride from there back to PE via malawi so I知 wanting to keep the 2000km of tar from PE to Windhoek off the new set of tires.

I値l get in touch with BMW and Yamaha to see what they have available but I have my mind set on using a Mitas E07 plus for the trip on the rear. If they have that in stock I will certainly buy it there.

R1200 GS Adventure 2017

Offline YoungGSer

• Ride the WORLD
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 09:52:39 am »
Tel numbers for:

Yamaha Windhoek: +264 6129 24050

Yamaha Swakop: +264 6440 1081

These are the numbers I have. That Windhoek number looks suspicious - long by one digit. But I'm sure google will help you quick.
Thank you for the numbers Xpat, you are a great help.

R1200 GS Adventure 2017

Offline Xpat

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 09:53:43 am »
If that is the case, why not just bring both tyres in the car? They are cheaper in SA.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 09:55:59 am »
And you save yourself a hassle in Namibia. For example KTM is closed on weekend, and not sure about others (Yamaha was I think open on Saturday). ANd in my experience one always rocks up in need of something somewhere and it is always eigher weekend or public holiday.

Just take both tyres with you in car.

Offline YoungGSer

• Ride the WORLD
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 10:06:35 am »
I知 still in mixed minds if I need to change the front for the trip as it痴 still very fresh, the rear will probably be the only one that needs to be changed so I will just put the new tire in the car and ride on my current rear to Windhoek as it has enough life to get there.

R1200 GS Adventure 2017

Offline Xpat

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 10:15:54 am »
If you are going to Malawi, you want to start on a new one, rather then try desperatly find new one somewhere in northern Moz if things don't go to plan. This kind of tyre life stretching is fine in places where the tyres are readily available, but north of Namibia, you are on your own.

It is easy really - bring and change both of your tyres in Nam. If your current is still fine, just leave it with your father, and once you are back, swap it back.

Offline Damaraland

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 10:22:12 am »
Xpat's advice is solid but if you're set on buying in Nam these places will sort you.

BMW Motorrad (Golden Tyre, TKC if you're lucky)
KTM Namibia (Mitas)
VK Auto (Heidenau, Anlas Capra X )
Yamaha (Kenda Big block)
Cape Bike Travel (Dunlop Dual purpose, forgot the model)

Don't have telephone numbers handy, but all should be on google.
RR - Angola (https://goo.gl/BzFy7Y) / Video RR - Kaokoland (https://youtu.be/-c-Zespa2No)
Video RR - Messum & Ugab (https://goo.gl/Uhd1vb)  / Video RR - Southern Namibia (http://goo.gl/WpRdRE)
Video RR - Ugab (http://goo.gl/dr57i9) / Video RR - Omaruru River (http://goo.gl/RCTajv)

Offline King Louis

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 01:19:06 pm »
Danric Auto, Dieter Meyer +264 81 1245948,BMW Dealer, C/o Bismarck Str. & David Hosea Meroro Road
Cape Bike Travel, Ruan De Lange, 081 327 9048

Don't try either over a weekend, Friday get there around lunch time...

For the trip you described I would just put a Heidenau Scout C60 on, will last the whole tour, on tar and on dirt.

Have fun, post pics! :ricky:

Offline YoungGSer

• Ride the WORLD
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 09:45:04 pm »
Danric Auto, Dieter Meyer +264 81 1245948,BMW Dealer, C/o Bismarck Str. & David Hosea Meroro Road
Cape Bike Travel, Ruan De Lange, 081 327 9048

Don't try either over a weekend, Friday get there around lunch time...

For the trip you described I would just put a Heidenau Scout C60 on, will last the whole tour, on tar and on dirt.

Have fun, post pics! :ricky:
Thank you, will be looking to get there around lunchtime on the Friday so will stop past one of the recommendations then.

I have a K60 Scout on the back at the moment, problem is that I haven稚 got anywhere near the mileage out of it that I have previously on my GS AC. I知 guessing it痴 the increased weight and power of the GSA LC but the last one did 12k km with lots of tar and thrashing it around Namibia. This one will do 6k km max that痴 why why changing it when I get to Windhoek.

R1200 GS Adventure 2017