Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: WSBK silly season starts!  (Read 2609 times)

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Die Ruiter sal KilRoy regruk
WSBK silly season starts!
« on: June 29, 2018, 11:44:09 am »
- Tom Sykes not signed by Kawasaki.  Rumour says he will go to Pata Yamaha.
-  Leon Haslam makes surprise appearance as the new 2019 onward team mate for Johnathan Rea.
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
Re: WSBK silly season starts!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 12:02:28 pm »
Do people still watch WSB, seems it's watered down a bit from past years ? Very few factory teams or am I wrong.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 12:07:03 pm »
I enjoy it this year - Ducati making the odd stand, Yamaha popping its head up now & then - Kawasaki dominating mostly tho....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 02:28:46 pm »
WSBK for the past 6 years has been very average at best. Dorna now owning the series may have watered it down a lot. Definitely not the racing we had in the 2000,s and early 20... teens

I dont like the race 1 and race 2 on separate days and absolutely detest the grid switch for race 2. Only 3 teams have full factory support and this is reflected in every weekend at every race. I say can all the BS and make WSBK essentially what the STK1000 spec bikes are. Then you get back to the race on Sunday buy on Monday motto.

If Tom is rumored to be going to Yamaha who is out? Vandermark to MotoGp?
Pass this way once!

Offline RobD

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 02:32:43 pm »
WSBK for the past 6 years has been very average at best. Dorna now owning the series may have watered it down a lot. Definitely not the racing we had in the 2000,s and early 20... teens

I dont like the race 1 and race 2 on separate days and absolutely detest the grid switch for race 2. Only 3 teams have full factory support and this is reflected in every weekend at every race. I say can all the BS and make WSBK essentially what the STK1000 spec bikes are. Then you get back to the race on Sunday buy on Monday motto.

Well said, couldn't agree more... :thumleft:

Offline Serfie

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 03:23:52 pm »

Well said, couldn't agree more... :thumleft:

Agree!!!  :deal: Must admit that WSB have really become boring the last season or two, specially when compared with MotoGP at Assen this past weekend!
“So much of life can never be explained…it can only be witnessed and experienced…but above all...life just goes on…no matter what!!”

Previous bikes - 1980 XL125S: 1986 IT200: 1989 XT250:  1999 Africa Twin 750XLV: 2011 XR250 Tornado: 1999 XJR900 Diversion:  1996 Varadero XL1000V: 2007 Transalp 650 : 2015 Kawasaki Versys KLZ 1000
Currently - 2008 KLR650 / 2008 DR650 / 2015 SYM CROX 125 /  2014 BMW F700GS

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 03:47:47 pm »

What ? Jeez that is stupid. So you need to travel to a track twice in a weekend as a fan.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Battlestar

• Grey hound
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 08:24:56 pm »

What ? Jeez that is stupid. So you need to travel to a track twice in a weekend as a fan.
Yip been doing it for 2 seasons already. Some like it,most don't.
Pass this way once!

Offline Battlestar

• Grey hound
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 04:14:16 pm »
Misno race 1 boring as f...k. Feel sorry for cometary making a go of it. Nice for Laverty. End of.....
Pass this way once!

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 05:30:46 pm »
WSBK will die if Dorna does not sort the huge gaps between teams that exists now.  They said they would bring them back, closer to standard spec, similar to the Superstock 1000 or Supersport 600, but have so far failed to make any big changes.  They are already drawing only half the viewers they used to and that MGP does.
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

The following users thanked this post: Battlestar

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 05:44:00 pm »
Besides the Johhny Rea show, have you noticed the stands, especially on a Saturday, I think there are more people at Killarney for a club race.

Remember the Bayliss  - Edwards years, that was proper entertaining racing. These days I record it, start watching, if it becomes a progression, I fast forward to the end to see who won.

The lighties on their 300's is more entertaining.
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline Serfie

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 06:28:54 pm »
Besides the Johhny Rea show, have you noticed the stands, especially on a Saturday, I think there are more people at Killarney for a club race.

Remember the Bayliss  - Edwards years, that was proper entertaining racing. These days I record it, start watching, if it becomes a progression, I fast forward to the end to see who won.

:thumleft:
“So much of life can never be explained…it can only be witnessed and experienced…but above all...life just goes on…no matter what!!”

Previous bikes - 1980 XL125S: 1986 IT200: 1989 XT250:  1999 Africa Twin 750XLV: 2011 XR250 Tornado: 1999 XJR900 Diversion:  1996 Varadero XL1000V: 2007 Transalp 650 : 2015 Kawasaki Versys KLZ 1000
Currently - 2008 KLR650 / 2008 DR650 / 2015 SYM CROX 125 /  2014 BMW F700GS

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 08:51:47 am »

Way more interesting, especially when the chickies like Ana Carasco and Maria Herrera kicks their teenage arses!   :thumleft:

#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 08:56:17 am »
I would really like to see how good Rea actually is; he needs to move onto a competitive MotoGP bike.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 08:56:42 am by Rough Rider »
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 09:35:12 am »
I would really like to see how good Rea actually is; he needs to move onto a competitive MotoGP bike.

I think Rea is an excellent rider and could possibly win on any bike.  What we are seeing in WSBK is  very good rider on a very good bike, which the team have managed to set up 100% to suit the rider. 

What I would like to see is the top 6 or so riders from WSBK and MGP on identical bikes, directly from the showroom.  I think there may be some surprises in such a race.
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 12:16:42 pm »

I think Rea is an excellent rider and could possibly win on any bike.  What we are seeing in WSBK is  very good rider on a very good bike, which the team have managed to set up 100% to suit the rider. 

What I would like to see is the top 6 or so riders from WSBK and MGP on identical bikes, directly from the showroom.  I think there may be some surprises in such a race.

I agree, although the cream always floats to the top.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 01:57:49 pm »
Yamaha confirmed Lowes and Van der Mark, so the rumour that Sykes will go there (now confirmed not having signed with Kawasaki) shot out of the water.
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline Sithe

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • gewig versplasing
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 02:53:00 pm »
I think Rea is an excellent rider and could possibly win on any bike. 

He was on the Honda for many years and didn't win a thing ... so I think it has a lot to do with the bike
I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 10:26:44 am »

Very few SBK racers could successfully upgrade to GP. Rea is very fast on a very fast, well prepped ZX 10 - I think the issue of proper competition is rather with the other manufacturers not staging very competitive bikes.Chas Davies tries very hard, but the Panigale is just not up to scratch.The RR 's are not bad but not a real threat currently.As for the RSV4's, they certainly fell behind in the development stakes the last few years.The R1's are also not on the cutting edge.any more.Take nothing away from the Rea show, for him and Kawasaki its a good innings.......but hell, it makes for boring racing  :(

Offline Battlestar

• Grey hound
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 08:24:24 am »
Haslam officially confirmed at Kawasaki for 2 years
Pass this way once!