Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….  (Read 9698 times)

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….
« on: January 07, 2019, 03:51:09 pm »
The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….
But first lets look at who Blitsie is – or is it what Blitsie is….? Anyway,,,
Blitsie is a slightly war-torn & beaten 2007 G650 X-Challenge – used for the purpose created, ie: Adventure Riding!
Blitsie came into my position about 6 weeks ago, after I read an advert on this very fine Forum for a Gx with a shed-load of KMs on it, a heat-seized motor and the associated collateral damage that you pretty much expect from a bike that was properly used for 120,000km…. On visiting the previous owner, Blitsie was parked up under a tarp, under a carport, with the cylinder-head removed and a lotta stripped parts – not a great position to find the bike in, it always means that there will be additional work just finding out if there is gunk (or damage) hidden further down in the engine….. And, are all the parts even there…..?
Here be a few pics, but the damage is not really visible…

I took a few days to do a little research and also got a copy of the dealers quote to repair the damaged motor (quoted to fix heat-seized components), and checked a few sources and decided to make an offer….. Anyway, offer was declined, and I was basically told that I can either pay the asking price or the owner will strip and sell the components (she had offers on some of the parts prior to my acquisition….)  - so, I paid on a whim, a hope and a prayer and the owner very kindly delivered the broken bike, parts, papers, some spares and the instruction to keep the lightning stickers on the forks – and here he is – a little forlorn, granted…

www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 04:15:13 pm »
Are you going to fix the motor or replace?
For interest, is it the same as the dakar?
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 04:19:27 pm »
 :sip: Subscribed  :sip:
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R, 1982 Honda XL 600R

Offline Edgar

• The ultimate
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 07:57:50 pm »
Keeping an eye on this thread. It's going to be an interesting one!!! :thumleft:

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 07:37:50 am »
Are you going to fix the motor or replace?
For interest, is it the same as the dakar?

Repair....
And its pretty much the same as the Dakar as far as I can tell - some covers differ I think, but internals are the same part numbers....

Sneak preview.....

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 07:48:05 am »
If you need tools for this project I know a guy in Benoni that sells tools.  :laughing4:

Good luck  :ricky:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 07:57:17 am »
If you need tools for this project I know a guy in Benoni that sells tools.  :laughing4:

Good luck  :ricky:

And if he cant find the tools - he makes his own....

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 07:59:20 am »
Anyway, I set myself a budget of R15k to get Blitsie up and running and an unrealistic time-frame of Christmas. I know its unrealistic because its after Christmas and the end is not in sight. Not even close…..

First order of business was to ascertain what we have, and by default, what we have got ourselves into! Took the X into the front garden, sprayed all the loose dirt off (covered the open holes in the motor etc.) and let it dry out some. Then I loaded it only my bike rack in my impossibly untidy garage and took a long hard look – with a pen & paper….
The obvious things are the engine and the cracked sub-frame – so I jacked the back up on a stand and rotated the rear wheel with the bike in gear and the timing chain in my hand – and the piston moved freely up & down the barrel – good news, at least its not seized!!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:07:34 am by ClimbingTurtle »

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 08:06:12 am »
The order of business then is as follows: -
-   Do an initial check of what parts are not there – there is a plastic bag full of bolts, who knows if they are all there……
-   Subframe
-   Motor – and seeing as its already partially stripped, I am going to split the casing to make sure the rest is ok, service whats not OK, and primarily, clean it of the junk, sand, cobwebs and gecko shit that accumulated in the months it stood in the elements….
-   Bearings – swingarm, steering & wheels – the time is now – may as well do them.
-   Seals – as above, as well as the water pump impellor and shaft as well as the drive gears – knowns weak parts and this is what caused the motor to be in pieces anyway
To work then!
First – lets get the sub-frame off and send it away to engineering. A BIG thanks at this time to @Halfdaft – he has been an immense help in this project and the beginning was the subframe. I started with removing the fuel tank and immediately noted that the front 2 bolts (as below) are missing – time to start with the parts list….. He is doing a great deal more, I will reflect on that later…..

After getting the subframe off, stripped and delivered to Halfdaft, we decided that the original design was flawed in that the front support is a tube, sealed at the far end and welded, - to the sub-frame, meaning that the forces of general use flex the tube section, using the sealed end as the pivot and the frame as the lever – so we decided to cut the whole section off, have a solid bar turned the same diameter and bore and thread that along with the centre of the spring support to accommodate ONE long M8 Hight Tensile Cap Screw – he had this jigged up and welded in-situ to maintain the correct geometry…… Halfdaft did the turning of the alu bar, the boring and threading and the old sections were cut off in a jig to make sure the cuts were in line with each other – then it was sent out for welding….

A great success – and a great start to the project – easy if it all goes this well hey…?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:09:36 am by ClimbingTurtle »

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 08:14:52 am »
I really need an alternative to Photobucket......  >:(

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 08:28:29 am »
I used to see this bike on my commute. Glad to see it's getting a second life  :thumleft:
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 09:24:59 am »
You are making very good progress  :thumleft:
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R, 1982 Honda XL 600R

Online Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 10:18:12 am »

Google Photos? If you have a Gmail account, you have Photos already. Just remember to share you albums, and click on each picture and copy the URL and paste between the "img" tags in your report.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 10:33:20 am »
Nice project  :thumleft:

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 11:47:42 am »

Google Photos? If you have a Gmail account, you have Photos already. Just remember to share you albums, and click on each picture and copy the URL and paste between the "img" tags in your report.

Thanks Ri - I will look into that this afternoon.....

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 12:50:37 pm »

Thanks Ri - I will look into that this afternoon.....

Nope - cant get that to work either - couldnt get Flikr to work either.....

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 12:55:46 pm »
CT no secondhand engine to be found at ACME?

Good luck with the build. :thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:14:34 pm by ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS »
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 01:00:37 pm »
CT no secondhand engine to be found at ACME?

Good look with the build. :thumleft:

Hi Chris - never looked tbh........  :biggrin:

Offline GazGaz

• Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 02:19:58 pm »
Love a rebuild thread :thumleft:
Will go where the road takes me

Yamaha Super tenere, Bmw F650GS Dakar ,Bmw F650GS, Honda VFR800 VTEC
Honda Varadero 125cc, Vespa 50cc

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 02:20:28 pm »
Anyway, it isn’t going to be that easy apparently….
Next order of business was to get the barrel off and see what damage was done to the barrel & piston – sent some emails to Wiseco (They had no idea about what to quote), some local suppliers and then located a piston in the UK at a reasonable price (Hand luggage for my nephew) – it was easy to remove, 2 bolts and it slid off the piston – so no seizing there….!
And once cleaned, it showed surprisingly little wear – it may have been replaced at some point as there is virtually no wear on the piston, with the exception of a small burnt area on the skirt and one scratch on the barrel – but more of a mark than a scratch. Anyway, dropped it off at Halfdaft and he took it to be measured and…….
Its all in tolerance!! Yay!!!

Now we know we don’t need a piston or a barrel, but as the motor has been exposed to the elements for a while (dust in particular) I decided to remove the motor and split the crank case to see what junk had accumulated in there, as well as do some tolerance measurements for bearings, check for wear and so on – so I ordered a new set of rings and the 4 engine gaskets. For good measure I ordered a new water pump kit, complete with bearings and drive gears…
Writing it down makes it sound so simple……
The main thing to realise is that the motor cannot come out without removing the rear swingarm support brackets – the swingarm needs to come off to remove an engine mounting bolt – perverse idea and a new form of mechanical torture had thus been invented….
First step then, is to remove the rear wheel – easy enough – and then the swingarm…. At this point the proverbial hit the proverbial…..
The right side has a large cap held on by 3 small cap screws – one of which sheared off making the removal of the cap impossible as it has to unscrew, past the sheared bolt

I decided that the removal of the screw was the immediate problem, and as everything damaged had to be fixed, decided that it was the priority. Fool. You didn’t know the half of it…. So I whipped out the welder and placed a small tack on the end of the damaged bolt – the idea being that it would firstly add heat and possibly release the stuck bolt, and also give me a larger purchase area for the vice grips. But to no avail – all it did was make it nasty and scratch the cover….
PLAN B – out with mini-grinder, grind the surface flat, out with the cordless drill, centre punch the bolt and drill a 1mm pilot hole. Snap the drill, drill a 1.5mm pilot hole, snap the drill, drill a 2mm pilot hole – sense of humour remains intact, just…..
Grab the easi-outs and….

HET HOM!!!

Then I realised that the cover was still not coming out, must have stripped the threads in the from – that would be a bugger…. Of to my friends at Google for some idea of what the fork is going on and discover that there is no thread…… BUT There is a bush on the other side, that slides into a one-sided bearing as the pivot for the swingarm – and that had corroded solid and seized on…. Time to call it quits for a little while and apply The Power od Sustained Thinking….
Here it be, from the inside…..