Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: V8 Moto Guzzi 500cc at TT  (Read 456 times)

Offline Dustbiter

V8 Moto Guzzi 500cc at TT
« on: June 07, 2020, 10:29:35 am »
At the 1998 Isle of Man TT races, ex-World Champion and two-times TT winner Bill Lomas took part in the parade lap celebrations, riding the ultra rare and expensive 1950s 500cc Moto Guzzi V8.

Enjoy the sound!

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Bikeless at present
Previously: 1973 Honda SS50 - Port Elizabeth
                  1979 BMW R65 - East London
                   1996 BMW R1100GS - Grahamstown

The following users thanked this post: SmuGS

Offline Crop Sprang

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Mark It Zero
Re: V8 Moto Guzzi 500cc at TT
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 05:56:54 pm »
Amazing sound....thx
Whatever you're thinking, think the opposite

Offline Dux

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 08:58:06 am »
If anyone can remember the Simon Fourie chatshow every Thursday evening on Radio 5 , at the start was a soundtrack of a bike , it was this bike going down Bray hill , mechanical music at its best
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 10:24:04 am »
I have seen it authoritatively stated that the limiting factor for that bike was the narrow rear tyre in particular.  Riders were aware of it & asked that a wider tyre be fitted but the design guys were of the opinion that that would increase the rolling resistance & thereby detract from the speed of the bike.  Sort of losing sight of the fact that much of the lap time is occupied by the time through corners & there the speed is limited by roadholding & not engine power or rolling resistance.
That point is rather elegantly made by the crash towards the end of the video where a modern bike proceeded the Guzzi no proble.

Fabulous bikes but the ignition electrics back then also gave them a lot of issues. I have seen it written that more often than not they were rolling 7 cylinder bikes.

Offline Dux

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 01:36:39 pm »
I have seen it authoritatively stated that the limiting factor for that bike was the narrow rear tyre in particular.  Riders were aware of it & asked that a wider tyre be fitted but the design guys were of the opinion that that would increase the rolling resistance & thereby detract from the speed of the bike.  Sort of losing sight of the fact that much of the lap time is occupied by the time through corners & there the speed is limited by roadholding & not engine power or rolling resistance.
That point is rather elegantly made by the crash towards the end of the video where a modern bike proceeded the Guzzi no proble.

Fabulous bikes but the ignition electrics back then also gave them a lot of issues. I have seen it written that more often than not they were rolling 7 cylinder bikes.

They shared float bowls between 2 carbs so fuel starvation was a problem on longer straights
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 08:01:42 pm »

Magneti Marelli :eek7: :eek7: the Italian Joe "prince of darkness" Lucas. :deal: