Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kareedouw Afkuk 27 - 30 August 2020  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Ri

Kareedouw Afkuk 27 - 30 August 2020
« on: December 30, 2020, 09:07:33 pm »
Soon after my Swellendam weekend, my manager contacts me late in the day. A colleague who had been working on a certain proof of concept is now on a few weeks' leave, and the manager needs a feature implemented urgently. Just a single view, simple and easy, most of the grunt work has been done. Am I up for it?

Freshly invigorated, I accept and start working on the feature based on zero documentation, with zero background, and only vague specifications. The sweet dream of a single view is not as straightforward as it seems, though. Alarmed at not being able to integrate the simple new view with the supposedly solid, working old code, I panic and start working around the clock, trying different solutions. Soon, in my usual runaway Ri style, I over analyse, over architect and overcook the simple view into a whole new proof of concept, rewriting everything, missing deadline after deadline. Secretly, I'm amazed that at my age, my mind can still function on so little rest, albeit a little incoherently. I also know it's not sustainable; that soon, I'll crash and burn.

During this time, another invite pops up in my WhatsApp: John Wood is leading a small group up Side Entry into Baviaanskloof. I reply, half-jokingly, half-yearningly asking whether he thought I could keep up with the hooligans on his tour. I've been longing to do Side Entry for a while now, and was hoping to do it in May, riding to EC Bash with the EC Wild Dogs. John immediately assures me I'm most welcome, and even arranges for my bike to be trailered up for me. I can only blame diminished mental capacity due to tiredness for foolishly accepting his offer, and often during the following days I question my decision, coming to the edge of cancelling. But when will such an opportunity come again? I put in leave and my saint of a manager grants it, despite the missed deadlines. I'm in!

John arranges for friendly gentleman named Mark to meet me at Butterfly World on Thursday afternoon, to take me and Blue to our starting point at Prince Albert. We stop for late lunch just outside De Doorns at a delightful farm stall, and chat all the way to Prince Albert.

Apologies for the quality of the photo's: I only noticed afterwards that the images are distorted, especially on the right hand side. The camera is in desperate need of a service, but I haven't had time to take it in.

Mark

John, meanwhile, is riding to Prince Albert along with the other hooligans.

I've never stayed in Prince Albert before, usually driving or riding through and maybe stopping for something to eat before heading out again. It is a beautiful, quaint little town, and the people are very friendly. As the only lady on the tour, I again have a room to myself everywhere we stay, something I really appreciate.

View from our guesthouse

Wayne Whitman, followed by Jan Dekker, leads me to our accommodation.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 08:29:35 am by Ri »

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: Kareedouw Afk.k 27 - 30 August 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 09:23:33 pm »
 :sip:

Offline Noneking

• Unverified
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
Re: Kareedouw Afk.k 27 - 30 August 2020
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 09:42:13 pm »
Sub

Offline Ri

Re: Kareedouw Afkuk 27 - 30 August 2020
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 09:46:00 pm »
Dinner is at the Karoo Kombuis, who are very very grateful for our support and treat us like kings and queen. The food is wonderful, and the wine Mark brought along goes down very well. I enjoy the decor of the Kombuis.

My companions on this trip, from left to right, is Gustav, on the GS800 hippo who Swan Lake'd after our Swellendam trip, John Wood (690), Jan Dekker (schweet 950), Marais Steyn (pristine AT 750) (who I mistakenly call "Marius" for most of the trip :-[) Jan-Lucas de Ridder aka @Amsterdam (701), Leon le Roux (fat 1050 I think) (he was chosen to participate in the Honda Quest), Mark (690), and Wayne Whitcomb (990), semi-permanent fixture at Cederberg Oasis. Gustav is about as raw and untalented a rider as I am, but the rest are all seasoned pro's, and I can only imagine their derision at my lack of skill. Ah well.... suck it up, Buttercup. 

After dinner, some of us head home to get some sleep, but others go trawling for a bit of alcohol action. They meet a liquor store owner from a rural town with a literal bakkie load of alcohol and sommer have a good kuier in the street, before slingering home to kuier further on the stoep of the one guest house. Early the next morning, we all bustle about bright-eyed and bushy tailed, getting ready for the trip, but our fearless leader moves like treacle. He had fallen asleep on the stoep where someone had covered him with a persian run and put a pillow under his head. He'd woken up and tried to find his way to our guest house. Unable to find the gate, he had crashed on the couch in the living room. He says he hadn't kuiered like this since his school days, and looks a bit under the weather.

Soon we are all packed up and ready to go. We head over Swartberg Pass. It is cold and the icy wind is howling as I cross the pass behind everyone else, but we still find Leon, the only smoker in the group, at the top of the pass having a smoke break. The others couldn't stand the cold and decided not to wait for him.

My beloved blue donkey also gets me there

Modern day form of vandalism. What is it with bikers and stickers? Yes I know it's not ALL bikers, but I guarantee these stickers are mostly from bikers.

We stop at Kobus se Gat for breakfast, a footlong hot dog roll filled with scrambled eggs, "tamatie smoor", bacon, eggs that is surprisingly tasty and very filling.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 08:33:51 am by Ri »

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Mommy Fairy :)
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 08:37:09 am »
Can't see the photos for some reason, but am subscribing nevertheless.

We were going to do side entry in May, but COVID had other plans. Definitely next year.
"Don't let your ice cream melt while you're counting somebody else's sprinkles."

Offline Herklaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 08:41:18 am »
 :sip: Kan ook nie die fotos sien nie, dalk het daar skandes gebeur wat sy wil verbloem.  :bueller: :pot:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.And, the latest 1989 Yamaha Super Tenere 750.

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 08:54:30 am »
Janee, daas iets fout met my oŽ ook.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 08:55:19 am »
Shame about the photo's, I'm so interested to see.  :sip: :(
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Grey hound
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 09:01:59 am »
Oh phew! Thought it was my crappy laptop again.
"Don't let your ice cream melt while you're counting somebody else's sprinkles."

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 09:26:00 am »
Subscribed, I'm always looking forward to Ri's ride reports. I hope that she can sort out the issue with the photo's.
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR200R, 1983 Honda XL600R

The following users thanked this post: Ri

Offline Ri

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 09:41:40 am »
After our lekker brekkie and especially some great strong coffee, we carry on. It is a long, boring slog to Kareedouw, and somewhere along the line we lose our fearless leader - he developed mechanical problems, and is trying to organise help. Jan-Lucas capably takes over the reigns and we storm ahead, me almost last with my kind minder Wayne bringing up the rear. Just outside Joubertina, I notice that Wayne is no longer behind me, but I don't think much of it. He is probably just filling up. I'm slow, I need to try stay with the others, and he's a big boy, he doesn't need my help.

At Kareedouw, where we are supposed to lunch, it turns out that Wayne got a flat tyre just outside Joubertina; his compressor gave up the ghost and he is stuck. Thankfully some kind farmers notice the biker, and various stop to offer help, but a farm worker, traveling in the direction of Kareedouw, selflessly loads up his fallen tyre, brings it to Kareedouw for inflating, and takes it back to Wayne.  I feel terrible - had I turned back, I would have been of no use, but I could've provided some moral support and company.

Sidenote: I never know what to do in these situations. I have everything a tube-sporting thumper needs to fix a wheel by the roadside, but whenever I stop and offer help / tools / patches / compressor I'm patiently shooed aside while the experienced guys do their thing. Should I stop for moral support and hang around like a bored little gatvliegie? I always end up feeling unwanted and underfoot

After about 30 minutes, Wayne rejoins the crew idling around the Kareedouw fuel station, where we are having quick, expensive snacks from the store. Some brave souls even opt for - shudder! - garage pies. Our fearless leader still hasn't rejoined us. His sprocket resembles a Cape Flats mouth, all pÍthion gÍp, and George KTM is sending people and parts to assist. He will rejoin us tonight at Makkadaat's Caves in the Baviaanskloof, but we're on our own for Kareedouw Side Entry. Jan-Lucas and I joke that John sat with a hammer until he developed that sprocket problem, to catch up on some much-needed sleep.

It is late in the day, probably 14:30 or 15:00 when we eventually take the road towards Side Entry. I crawl along as fast as my nerves and skill allow, but I still fall behind quite quickly. Wayne, onverstoord, patiently crawls along behind me, assuring me that he is in no hurry at all. Nervous as I am, I'm having the time of my life. We reach a gate, and things go downhill from there...

New cheap polarised sunglasses I bought at Kareedouw, after I realised the tinted safety glasses I was wearing distorts my vision and causes bad riding (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). The glasses don't suit my face but they look pretty bad ass in the helmet 8) They were an excellent buy for the price, and I now wear them on every trip.

Jan Dekker rearing to go. He doesn't smile much. He and Mark are neck-and-neck up front the whole trip.

Marais' beautiful Africa Twin

The road becomes more of a 2-spoor and sometimes only a 1-spoor.

Jan-Lucas, our stoic leader, rides back to check up on me.

I think this photo was taken after my first fall, which at the time didn't feel so bad but turns out to have been the worst one. The luggage rack falls on my boot heel, trapping my foot. I twist and drag my ankle, managing to release it. This has happened a few times, and I realise it's because I put my feet down to try catch the bike bike when I come to a hurried stop. My feet gets dragged backwards, into a prime spot to be trapped by luggage or pannier racks. I'm trying to stop doing it now, but the damage is done.  At the time, it is sore but not too bad and I carry one without much hassle, but I must've hurt some ligaments. Jan-Lucas decides to let the rest of the guys race ahead, and opts to stay with me and guide me down the mountain. I feel like precious cargo, riding along with Jan-Lucas and Wayne at the rear.

The scenery is breathtaking, and I wish I could spend more time looking around. The sun is making a fast getaway too, though.

Jan-Lucas and Wayne stare longingly into the Baviaans... so near, and yet so far

Offline Ri

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2020, 09:48:32 am »
I fiddled with the photo sharing settings again - hopefully it's fixed now. I think Google changed things. Let me know if you still have hassles seeing the photo's

Offline Ri

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2020, 09:49:29 am »
Can't see the photos for some reason, but am subscribing nevertheless.

We were going to do side entry in May, but COVID had other plans. Definitely next year.

I know, right?!  :'(

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Grey hound
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2020, 09:49:52 am »
Sooooooooooooooooooo pretty!

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Grey hound
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 09:51:47 am »
I fiddled with the photo sharing settings again - hopefully it's fixed now. I think Google changed things. Let me know if you still have hassles seeing the photo's

All good.

I think THROTTLE and I deserve a dirty weekend on the bikes and this seems like the perfect ride for it.

The following users thanked this post: Ri

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Grey hound
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 09:55:50 am »
Where did you leave the bakkie and trailer?

Offline Ri

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2020, 09:57:24 am »

It was locked up at the guest house in Prince Albert. They have a big yard. Wayne also drove up from Cape Town, and his van was also stored there.

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Grey hound
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 10:00:22 am »

It was locked up at the guest house in Prince Albert. They have a big yard. Wayne also drove up from Cape Town, and his van was also stored there.

My folks live in Prince Albert, as does Heimer and Martina (so could trailer and drop off our son for a bit of Ouma time), but I see Kareedouw is pretty much halfway between here and Prince Albert, so might as well take Big Boy and the Mistress and do some low flying on the tar to Kareedouw.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 10:01:40 am by Firecoast »

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2020, 10:06:54 am »
Sub!! :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER