Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: where not to stay in kosi bay  (Read 2883 times)

Offline daviecrocket

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
where not to stay in kosi bay
« on: September 28, 2009, 09:35:58 pm »
I recently spent a weekend in kosi bay at what seemed like a delightful little place called thobeka lodge. It’s a stunningly set up and well put together place with a nice atmosphere “when the owner isn’t around” however what we experienced was nothing like we expected. What happened was we didn’t have a 4x4 so instead of paying the ridiculous prices to get a lift to the beach we decided to walk; it was a nice 25 minute walk. When we got back that day we where asked by a nice group tourists who where also staying at thobeka how the walk was so we told them that it was a nice walk and was definitely worth it. The next day I was called into the owners office and asked to leave before our stay their was finished. The reason we were given was that we had lost the owner R450 because the people were no longer getting a lift from the owner, and that the R75 that we paid each night wasn’t worth the risk of letting us stay their, we were then told by the owner that he didn’t like having south Africans at his lodge “which was funny since more than half the people staying at his south African based lodge where from south Africa” I am not sure why he doesn’t like having south Africans their but I suspect it is because it is harder to rip them off. I encourage everybody to go visit this wonderful area but unfortunately I can’t recommend thobeka lodge because of the sour taste it has left in my mouth.

Offline daviecrocket

where not to stay in kosi bay
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 09:38:49 pm »
I recently spent a weekend in kosi bay at what seemed like a delightful little place called thobeka lodge. It’s a stunningly set up and well put together place with a nice atmosphere “when the owner isn’t around” however what we experienced was nothing like we expected. What happened was we didn’t have a 4x4 so instead of paying the ridiculous prices to get a lift to the beach we decided to walk; it was a nice 25 minute walk. When we got back that day we where asked by a nice group tourists who where also staying at thobeka how the walk was so we told them that it was a nice walk and was definitely worth it. The next day I was called into the owners office and asked to leave before our stay their was finished. The reason we were given was that we had lost the owner R450 because the people were no longer getting a lift from the owner, and that the R75 that we paid each night wasn’t worth the risk of letting us stay their, we were then told by the owner that he didn’t like having south Africans at his lodge “which was funny since more than half the people staying at his south African based lodge where from south Africa” I am not sure why he doesn’t like having south Africans their but I suspect it is because it is harder to rip them off. I encourage everybody to go visit this wonderful area but unfortunately I can’t recommend thobeka lodge because of the sour taste it has left in my mouth.

Offline Gypsybaron

• My mind is like an eight lane highway - gridlocked!
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pick a direction, not a destination, and ride!
Re: where not to stay in kosi bay
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 09:50:51 pm »
Good point you have there : Tour operators and their like tend to cater for foreigners and not locals, thus the exorbitant prices. We South Africans are a more do-it-yourself type of person, and we tend to take more initiative / risk (depending on your point of view). I hope you got a refund for the remaining days' stay  :patch:
“All education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a child’s coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.” Louis L'Amour - The lonesome gods

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go." Randy Travis - Three Wooden Crosses

Offline chicco

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Revolution or death........
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 10:58:03 am »
I think you have it wrong, the R450 is for a tour or an excursion. its not just a drop on drop off pay R450.......I know Mike well and I dont believe he would ask you to leave without a very good reason.
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

Offline Uiltjie

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Caledon
    • http://www.goudinie.co.za
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 11:10:22 am »
The Internet can be cruel......
"Sit vis vobiscum."

Offline daviecrocket

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 10:03:02 pm »
everything was realy nice, it was a stunning place. and i think that was just the excuse he used for kicking us out. we made friends with every one their and their was an incident around the fire where i didnt follow his instructions on how to do my own braai and in the process i think i undermined his caveman like domanince and made fun of him infront of our new friends and his guests and he just couldnt handle that. he just has littleman syndrome.

Online DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 10:07:42 pm »
Unbelievable...

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 10:10:30 pm »
What an idjit, I´ll be sure to warn others if I hear of them going to Kosi.

Perhaps you should send them a mail with the link to this page ;D It worked very well for me when I had a similar problem with Cytec in Gauteng.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline daviecrocket

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 10:16:50 pm »
ok i can tell the entire story if you have time to listen. the same day we so called lost him the R450 we had a braai with the german tourists and around the fire i was trying to take the grill off and mike told me i must use the tongs so i said no its fine i can handle it "im a farmer" which he didnt seem to like because i had undermined him. then later i didnt use the can opener the way he wanted me to and once again undermined him infront of his guests he then got angry with me. the next day i was called into his office where i thought he was going to appologise for the night before but to my surprise he asked us to leave, this is where he told me that he doesnt realy like having south africans at his lodge and prefers the tourists. he also said that we had lost him money and he had more tourists coming into the lodge and he couldnt take the risk of us being their any longer. i was real confused because we had made great friends with everybody their and that was the most dissapointing part. at least we got to spend the day on the beach with all of them.

Offline daviecrocket

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 10:20:25 pm »
i dont think the R75 was alot its his tours that are a rippoff.

Offline Gypsybaron

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 10:23:03 pm »
Or maybe he is not very fond of bikers.....
“All education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a child’s coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.” Louis L'Amour - The lonesome gods

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go." Randy Travis - Three Wooden Crosses

Offline daviecrocket

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 10:37:05 pm »
um... im embarrassed to say it was a fishing trip so we where in a car :peepwall:

Online DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 10:38:18 pm »
Why are there 2 freds about this?

Offline daviecrocket

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 10:40:00 pm »
im new so still trying to work every thing out here

Offline Williaby

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 10:41:55 pm »
Dont see what DC has to gain by lying and why would he make up such a story in the first place?
If you wanna run with the big dogs, don't pee like a puppy!

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 10:43:32 pm »
Every story has got 2 sides..................I would love also to hear the story from
the proprieter's viewpoint   :peepwall:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:46:57 pm by Operator »

Offline daviecrocket

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 10:45:42 pm »
ja this is just my oppinion hey maybe him and i just have a different set of morals

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 10:50:23 pm »
En toe? Toe hy jou vra om te loop toe loop jy?

Waar het jy toe gaan bly of het jy huis toe gekom?
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline daviecrocket

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 10:59:16 pm »
we went to another place called utshwayelo camp http://www.kosi-bay.co.za/ which was closer to the beach and ended up being better. this is a stunning place and very well situated

Offline Gypsybaron

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 11:14:21 pm »
um... im embarrassed to say it was a fishing trip so we where in a car :peepwall:

No need to feel embarassed - sometimes we need to take a break from breaking bones during our holidays  :pot: