Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Where do u ride after work? (Durbanville area)  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Rally rally rally
Where do u ride after work? (Durbanville area)
« on: February 27, 2007, 03:44:10 pm »
As I am still finding my feet with DS riding, I like to go mess around after work for the extra experience. Every now and again if I have the energy after work I go out on Wellington road and then on to the Spes Bona road, take right on Addeley and a left on Malans hoogte and then back around Contermans kloof. It has little gravel and its mostly just to relax after work. I'm looking for a route with a bit more dust, but short enough to do after work. Any suggestions? Or where do you ride after work?

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 04:07:14 pm »
that road is great! if you ride it fast enough, the bends and corners are enough to make you shit yourself, and get the required practice in.

spes bona rocks and rules.

practice emergency breaking, wheelies, whees, power sliding, sliding round corners, acceleration on dirt, weighting of pegs.. et al.

8)

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Forum Whore
  • Rally rally rally
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 04:13:27 pm »
Im not really into the cowboy wheelie scene, but what is the trick to popping one on dirt? Where do you get the traction?

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 04:18:50 pm »
Quote from: "newguy"
Im not really into the cowboy wheelie scene, but what is the trick to popping one on dirt? Where do you get the traction?

I am no expert in this department but it helps to have a reasonable amount of momentum to eliminate as much wheel spin as possible and then pop the clutch just a little.
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
Re: Where do u ride after work? (Durbanville area)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 09:43:17 pm »
I go out on Wellington road and then on to the Spes Bona road, take right on Addeley and a left on Malans hoogte and then back around Contermans kloof.

the wellington road you speak of, is that the one which ends up at the wind generators? or the one passing fisanterkraal?

i ask this, coz i dont follow this route you ride.... and i thought i knew this area fairly well....  :oops:  :oops:

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Forum Whore
  • Rally rally rally
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 07:38:04 am »
Yes, thats the road, past the generators. I actually went riding there last night and instead of turning off at the spess bona road I took it straight to the wind generators. Got on to the grave there and was probably doing between 90 - 100 km/h. Got to the back side of that road and came across (dont really wanna call it mud, it wasnt that thick) some wet dirt. This was a first for me and the bike was all over the place underneath me. Kept it going though and felt quite chuffed. Got back to the tar and not to far from there is a road called the Schoone-oord road (i think this was the name), this time was even more interesting, doing +-90 I hit some sand, again bike all over the place, but managed to keep it up. I'm a bit stiff today, but really psyched. No photos unfortunately and also no real directions, as I have no map, I was just scouting around looking for places to ride.

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 09:03:17 pm »
Quote from: "Lito"

practice emergency breaking

Is that when you suddenly stop and kick your bike over?

:D  :D  :D

Just yanking your chain Lito. :D
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • BANNED TROLL
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 11:44:24 am »
nah - cant be Kaboef - cos I dont have a chain to yank no more - the bakkie kicked the bike over after stopping  :D

Listen to CO - he's got far more skills than he lets on.

ps: it helps to have knobblies on when you do dirt wheelies. I am a rank absolute beginner in wheelies.

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 11:51:23 am »
Quote from: "Clockwork Orange"

I am no expert in this department but it helps to have a reasonable amount of momentum to eliminate as much wheel spin as possible and then pop the clutch just a little.

Just dont pop a wheely on the piece of tar just right before you hit the gravel......I'm now talking about big DS bikes not scramblers.....

I very very nearly saw my arse bloom pretty like a daisy when I did that stupid move. :oops:

A trick you can try..... its ou ryperd's special... in a fluiding move you close the trottle and compress the front shock. When it rebound you jezt open up da trottle and if you get the timing right your front will lift very easy..... 8)
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 01:34:31 pm »
I'm always afraid the bike will flip over. :oops:

They say you must keep your foot on the back brake for incase this happens.

The AT is too heavy to wheelie. Whenever I try a wheelie, I always feel sorry for the poor gearbox and final drive. :cry:
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 01:38:09 pm »
Quote from: "Kaboef"
I'm always afraid the bike will flip over. :oops:

They say you must keep your foot on the back brake for incase this happens.

The AT is too heavy to wheelie. Whenever I try a wheelie, I always feel sorry for the poor gearbox and final drive. :cry:

Same with the KLE, I've tried, but I can't, for the life of me, get the front up...
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

bobnob

my
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 01:48:22 pm »
my tt 600 is a great wheelie machine

it just sucks at moving forward!

Offline Stofstreep

• Semi-retired
  • Deleted Users
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Hot and humid
    • On a Dust cloud in Africa
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 02:19:00 pm »
I believe that you can weelie just about any bike.
The TA is also very heavy but I get it up. It is a bit more difficult but its possible.
I still practising to get it susstained, I get scared and close the throttle and it drops. :(
Be careful of the words you say.
And keep them soft and sweet.
For you never know from day to day.
Which ones you'll have to eat.

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • BANNED TROLL
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 02:54:23 pm »
its not just ou ryperd who does that ama.... its the old wheelie trick in itself!  8)  (if i understand you correctly)

easiest way - pop a bit of throttle, slack off immediately and as shocks compress and rebound, pop throttle again - bobs your auntie.

i tried so hard with my dakar, never got it right. then, this okie comes next to me (hes on this forum from Robertson), and on the dirt, pops a wheelie with the dakar as far as he likes. man - how to feel like a dirt noob in an instant... :oops:

shark_za

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 03:00:48 pm »
I'm no wheelie demon, but I feel better going up on my KLR than on the KDX.
One reason, engine braking.

When you are getting to th balance point and chicken out, tap off and you go down.
On a 2T not much happens and you have to use the rear brake !

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 03:01:30 pm »
Dont worry Lito....I know that noob feeling....not nice.... :oops:
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 03:08:11 pm »
managede to get the front up, in the complex driveway twice now..but like kaboef sez... that poor chain and gearbox...

As soon as the front goes up, i kark myself and close the frottle down  :oops:  :oops:

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 03:44:10 pm »
You guys 'mos' know that the Hurt report (amongst other things) states that you have a very good chance of dropping a bike within the 1st two weeks of having it. Almost happened to me.

I had my trusty FJ1200 for about 5 years. It is not 'n wheelie machine (the little 'liftoffs' over intersection bumps under hard acceleration doesn't count).
It's just too heavy in the front with too long of a wheelbase to lift unexpectedly.

So here I get my 1100GS grinning stupidly inside my helmet the whole way everywhere I go.
3rd day I'm on my way back home.
One of these 'main artery roads' for a neighborhood.
You know the type - lots of guys use it to get in and out of your valley but there's houses on the side as well.

So here I pull up behind a guy in a cage waiting to turn right into his driveway. Nothing comes from the front so it looks like his gonna gooi.
He hesitates and look like he's gonna stop. I'm in 1st at that stage ready to accelerate again. So I close the throttle, but at that moment he shoots off again and is out of my way. Cool.
Now on the FJ I just yank the throttle wide open and there I go, so (naturally) I did the same on the GS.  Beeeeeg mistake.

After I just closed the throttle, have the front shocks compress and yanked it open again the front just came for me. I'm not talking about gently saying 'howzit'. The thing bounced into the air like a jack-in-a-box.

I did not think that it could get up that fast. Skrikked my gat off and just closed the throttle. 40km/h for the next 5 blocks 'till I get home.
The fun thing was that I wasn't going totally straight at the time, so I had this weird sideways-jump-up-put-it-down-quickly-while-trying-to-keep-going-straight maneuver going on as well. I was just glad I didn't park her on me...
Sheez.
Since that day I have a holy respect for that little innocent looking twistgrip...

Back to your topic, New Guy.
You can also go to Joostenberg vlakte via Phisantekraal.
If you gooi out from Wellington past the hospital and the radiocontrol airfield, at some point you can turn right to Paarl. As you go over the bridge (railway) there's a turn towards the right just before the informal settlement. After about 1k the tar road gives way to gravel. You'll come into the back of Joostenbergvlakte. Where the road reaches the railway line * again you can choose to go right over the railtracks to Kraaifontein or left into Joostenbergvlakte. Theres' a couple of sand roads as well that joins the regular dirt roads. You can then also join up with the N1 close to  where Cape Garden Centre is.

Back at the 'choice to go to Kraaifontein or JBV over the railway line' point (see * above) you can go straight right to where that road ends (its next to the railway line the whole time). It ends in an area where the guys have informal tracks on a empty piece of land (ridden out over time with lots of quads and scramblers) - A good opportunity to check out your slower sand skills.

I like adderley road btw - beautiful view of tablemountain as you come back...

W
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 07:17:35 am »
i've popped a wheelie or 2 on the v@sp#. no lies

bobnob

stop
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 07:23:32 am »
Quote from: "the_wes"
i've popped a wheelie or 2 on the v@sp#. no lies

stop trying to justify you having a v35p@!!!!

:lol: