Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: dr200 exhaust help  (Read 331 times)

Offline kelly007

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • wee
dr200 exhaust help
« on: October 10, 2010, 11:10:24 am »
Hi , there is no dr200 thread so I hope you don't mind me posting here. Anyone got an exhaust for the 200 that they are willing to part ways with? Or any suggestions as to what will fit? Oem is a bit 2 pricey. Thanks

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
Re: dr200 exhaust help
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 11:46:39 am »
What's wrong with yours?

I) fixed some minor issues on our DR200's exhaust with my MAG welder :biggrin:
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline kelly007

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • wee
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 01:31:36 pm »
Just above the spark arrestor plug its cracked across on the inside, with about a 50c size whole in the middle. What filler wire did you use? Also what ss would you use to patch it? I was just worried welding such thin material would just lead to more cracking soon down the line.  Thanks le cap, your inputs are always welcome.

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:33:17 am »
Don't think it's easy to get 3Cr12 sheet to patch, (That's probably what or close to what it's made of originally) just use 1.4301, don't think it's an issue with strength & cracking on the DR200 silencer. Or use panel beating sheet and paint after welding.
Most cracking problems are related to non OEM mountings (rubbers lost or fitted under tension).

I patched mine with 0.8mm panelbeating sheet and welded with standard structural steel wire. Sprayed with black high heat rattlecan. Worked just fine.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)