Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Who rides a KTM 640 Adv??  (Read 630 times)

Offline Ratel

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
Who rides a KTM 640 Adv??
« on: June 10, 2007, 08:17:14 pm »
I was looking at the 640 Adv the other day and wondering how easy it is to live with this bike.

Is it possible to do some touring with it, comfort wise, and how capable is it offroad?

I see they have a special at the moment, R82000 including panniers.

Is it more or less like the BM Dakar?
"Stercus accidit..."

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
Re: Who rides a KTM 640 Adv??
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 08:21:36 pm »
Metaljockey rides one.

Offline Ratel

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 09:29:05 pm »
Oops maybe I should use the search function more :-[

Metaljockey wrote:

This is the sort of thing that new buyers should get to read before making their choice. It will still be the perfect bike for some, as long as they know what to expect. I have a 640 Adventure. It is an unusually focussed bike in terms of application. But I knew that before I bought it and therefor I'm more than happy with it. If I had bough it expecting a Dakar with proper suspension, I would have hated it with a passion.

Kilroy wrote:

640 - Good bike, definately more off-road orientated.  Lots of vibes and noise.  There are aftermarket stuff like, bigger fairings, comfy seats etc etc available.  To tell you the truth, If i buy more than R70k for either a Dakar or a Kati, I shall expect it to be equiped accordingly.  i would hate to spend another R10k on a allready overpriced bike!

Kati - offroad orientated - less road/long distance touring orientated (stock)
Dakar - Good road manners, finicky off road (every second one's ABS gives trouble on dirt), heavy, moer expensive to replace body parts.  Fuel injection system was known for surging at low speeds at a stage. Slightly dated engin (Rotex same a Aprilia Pegaso with a different head)

Lito wrote:

Mate, I have heard of good things about the George dealership. This guy registered and delivered to the door of my mate Kamanya here in CTown, for free. Next day. Unreal.

The 640 is vibey for sure, Loctite will be your friend. Dont underestimate the power of vibes on a very long trip, they can become painful. What you can do , is to fix things like putting a bar snake in the handlebars, insoles for your feet, a butt pad. These are cheap fixes for a superior dirt machine in the 600 category. Nothing in its class (bar the XR600R) will touch it in the dirt, depending on the terrain. The quality of standard components are beyond reproach, and the thing has 28litre (?) tanks which will take you a far far far way on that single.

My mates have travelled to Egypt and back with these things, they didnt take loctite and had to retighten bolts often. But man did they perform. Just look to the 660Rallye which wins the Dakar now, which is a tough sum bitch race.

Its fairly similar to what we are sold on the street in the 640, and I can almost guarantee you that the bikes abilities will be beyond yours for many years to come.

KTM dealerships suck badly in this country their support is weak, but I urge you to buy your stuff from oorsee, its cheaper anyway and will get here quicker. Either do the work yourself on the bike or someone you trust. I personally dont put much stock in the dealers, though they will honour the 2 year warranty for sure. Recently, they had to split cases and do the gear selectors (HUGE job) for a friend of mine, all done on warranty, the cost must have been running way past R10000. Done. But man, did it take 2 months!!!!!

So there you go. The 640 KTm for its purpose is superior in its class, with a bit of a price to it. But is sure is ready to race.
"Stercus accidit..."

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 09:46:51 pm »
In our family we have the 640 and the Dakar, on day to day you can live with the Dakar and long miles touring with off road and dirt roads, but the suspension is not a 640. The same can be done on the 640, but it's not it's forty, it's a off road with a big tank.

It's got a viby motor, and hard seat to live with everyday, changing oil is a mission, your legs and hands go numb form the vibrations.

In the end as a off road bike it's briliant. And like MJ said it's a focus bikes.

Offline Ballies

• Cut me loose
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • KTM 950 Adventure Rules!!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 10:23:53 am »
I had a 640, easy to live with. If you are bike fit you will be able to do long distance,but it is not a comfi GS! I think 82 grand is excessive. I will rather go for a 2nd hand (if available). I also had those paniers on. The vibration causes screws to loosen and loose, otherwise a pleasure.

;D
I want a shark with a frikken laser beam

Offline Runner

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Willearea
    • Off Road Cycles
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 08:47:31 pm »
Ek het ook een gehad maar te veel vibrasie,als val af, spieels,subframe ,taillight,het nou 'n XR, baie beter
OFFROAD CYCLES:
For all your Offroad and Adventure Motorcycle needs.
Conrad Koen 012 333 6443 | info@offroadcycles.co.za
22 Blesbok Ave, Koedoespoort Industrial, Pretoria.