Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Template?  (Read 959 times)

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
Template?
« on: July 14, 2007, 07:57:10 am »
Where is the template?

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Here is a suggestion
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 01:02:32 pm »
There is no template. I can offer some layout advice I got from DriveOut magazine and the TopBike editor. You don't have to follow it to the letter...because I don't really know what I'm talking about. Visit www.safrea.co.za for more freelancing tips

Jacko? Oppad? Jaqhamma? Adventurer? Advice or input?

<header> Long Distance Ride Report
<title> Brokeback Mount Kenia
<teaser> Two friends take a trip to Mount Kenia and cross the equator. A story of friendship and motorcycles and the tender love resulting from sharing a single tent, story by Dick Strong. (Donâ??t make this sentence too long)

<text> It was a dark and stormy nightâ?¦ bla bla bla (be as descriptive as you can. Donâ??t base your story on the photos but rather write from memory and/or notes. Add the pics later by inserting them in your story where applicable. A typical story should be around 2000 words. Prepare to have your story severely edited. Consider yourself lucky if you are asked to expand and elaborate)

<gps data>
Odometer: 18,600km
Riding time: 96hours

(Add all the basic data that even someone without a GPS will find interesting)

<text block>
Mount Kenia lies exactly on the equator. The roadâ?¦ bla bla bla (write around 200 words describing the subject of your trip. It can either be geographical detail or socio economic info regarding the country you visited)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 01:04:55 pm by LuckyStriker »

Offline Jaqhama

• Bike: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Re: Template?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 08:51:28 pm »
Sorry I was  just perusing and noticed this thread about the template.

For templates and the oppotunity to actually have a printed book made of your work go to...

www.lulu.com  and check all the info on their site.
You can use their various sized templates for various kinds of books, and when you're happy with the result you can even purchase your own copy and get an ISBN number (international book number), which means other people can purchase a copy of the book if they wish.
Who knows you could even sell many copies.

To purchase one copy of your own book for example..it's about $13.95 USA for a paperback of about 200 pages.
Be a bit more for a larger book with photos.

Something to think of lads...a Wild Dogs Biking in South Africa coffee table book.
Could be a bestseller.

In regards to Lucky's advice about how to set out a story...he's got it pretty much spot on.
Just depends if you intend to do it for a website or a magazine or a book. each have slightly different requirements.
Cheers: Jaq.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 08:53:39 pm by Jaqhama »
It's not just a mode of transport, it's a fking adventure!

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 08:46:52 pm »
Ok, that's all very nice and well, but where exactly do I put my ride report for my Sunday outing to wherever?

Admittedly a one - day trip isn't the longest in the world, but I think that most bikers just cannot afford to go on long tours every weekend or even once a month, so where do we put the short one - day tours?

Not only is that my stock tour - I also take a lot of inspiration from them, that's why I would like to see them here.
When I was much, much younger, I went fishing at harties with a friend. His car broke down and I was forced to sit next to the road and wait for the AA people to come and tow us. It was during this three - hour sitting that I had my first encounter with bikers, seeing them on their breakfast runs, and I made a promise to myself that one day I too would be able to ride a bike like that on Sundays.
I like to tell, and be told, stories about nice rides on Sunday's, so I think a spot on the forum for that could be called for, heh?

Tx
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline RobbieR

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 08:21:13 am »
Agree - I normally write reports for myself and friends after trips and they have been bugging me to load them up. I do it in "Word" and it would be nice if I could just copy it or something.
No Place too Far