Around the Mountain Ride - September 2007

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kev

France, Switzerland, France, Switzerland, Italy and back into France (And back into Switzerland) on a day trip? Yip. The "Around the Mountain" ride.

I got this idea into my head that I would like to ride around the mountain. Not just any mountain, but the Mont Blanc that sits "between" France, Switzerland and Italy. So I mention the idea to Mountain_Mike, and he is keen to join me in this little jaunt. Plans are laid, and we set off on Saterday morning, with the chill of autumn in the air.

From France, I head over the border into Switzerland to meet up with Mountain_Mike. 15 seconds later, we head out of Switzerland into France, and scootle off to Chamonix for breakfast.

The mountain was hiding behind the mist and clouds. Mountain_Mike shows us where:
AroundTheMountain-0.JPG

But he does not look too convinced!
AroundTheMountain-1.JPG

Anyway, after some disgust that that the cafe where we parked would only open at 09:00, we stroll accross the street, into, horrors of horrors, Mc Donalds for an Egg McMuffin and coffe. (Actually, the muffin was really good!)

Next stop, the St Bernard Pass in Switzerland. Off we go through some chilly French valleys, into Switzerland again, and up a twisty road to arrive at the top of St Bernard pass under clear blue sky.

Behind us, Switzerland:
AroundTheMountain-2.JPG

In Front of us, Italy:
AroundTheMountain-3.JPG

Yes, there are St Bernard dogs up there:
AroundTheMountain-4.JPG

So down the valley we go, through Aoste, and head to the small St Bernard pass.

The back side of the Mont Blanc massif:
AroundTheMountain-5.JPG

AroundTheMountain-6.JPG

The rumbling is not just from the sound of LC8 engines, but the empty tanks of the riders too. A pit stop is called for...
AroundTheMountain-7.JPG

...and lunch ordered...
AroundTheMountain-8.JPG

...while enjoying the nice view.
AroundTheMountain-9.JPG

Then I spot someone eying out the bikes. Not just eyeing, but taking pictures! Busted!!
AroundTheMountain-10.JPG

I tried to get her to do a pose, or at least show a belly-button or something, but her boyfriend was giving me the evil eye. I think he was jealous cause she liked my bike! :)

After lunch, more twisty roads to the small St Bernard Pass, for our next stop to stretch the legs.
AroundTheMountain-11.JPG

Damn, it is a long way "home"...
AroundTheMountain-12.JPG

So, what is Mountain_Mike admiring in the distance? The views?
AroundTheMountain-13.JPG

Or the bikes?
AroundTheMountain-14.JPG

The bikes I think!
AroundTheMountain-15.JPG

AroundTheMountain-16.JPG

Not content with just stretching legs, Mountain_Mike had to have a go at this poor pooch:
AroundTheMountain-17.JPG

Is it stretching?
AroundTheMountain-18.JPG

One last stop to take a pic of the route down into France was rudely interupted by these smelly beasts:
AroundTheMountain-19.JPG

From there we headed down the Rosiere, accross the Cormet de Roseland and back toward Annecy and home for me, and Switzerland for Mountain_Mike.

And that was our "Around the Mountain" trip.