Honda XR650L vs. Husqvarna TE610iE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buks

Race Dog
Reaction score
First of all, this is a comparison from an owner/ex-owner’s viewpoint, without a clear winner at all!!
I had my Husky for 5000k’s before selling it maybe too soon! I have done 3000k’s now with the XRL, on basically the same routes, although I have yet to take the XRL through Lesotho and Bastervoet, as I’ve done with the Husky.
As you know both are 650 class thumpers, originating from enduro bikes.
Both are rather tall, and putting your foot down in technical terrain can be a challenge sometimes.
The Husky is WAY sexier than the Exaar, but the XR has a strange kind of old school basic hardcore beauty to it.
The Husky has all the “big brand name” components; the Exaar just has components…..
The Husky is surprisingly not much faster (stock for stock), yes, it is a bit faster, but not by much I believe.
BUT, the biggest surprise to me is the Exaar’s old school suspension, which to me works just as well as the Husky’s fancy ones!!
The Exaar has a substantially more comfortable saddle, thus making it more comfortable on longer rides – as the suspension is more or less on par.
The Husky has a substantially longer fuel-range, not only because it has a 2l bigger tank, but because it is quite a bit more frugal with the fuel!
It is easier to get luggage on the “wider” Exaar than on the “slim” Husky….
Nothing vibrates loose on the XR – on the Husky you have to fasten some stuff after every trip!
Obviously the XR is simpler to maintain… and doesn’t mind “cheaper” oil vs. the expensive fully synthetic in the TE.
Both bikes give/gave me NO shyte, except stuff getting loose on the Husky and bulbs blowing regularly.
The XR gives me more confidence to venture off far into the unknown, although, as I say, the Husky had never ever let me down!
To be honest – if money wasn’t an issue- I would own both!!!
Although it’s good to read that Husky is back in SA, I’m afraid it is going to be marketed at a premium price to the elite!!! That and the fact that genuine Husky’s like the TE610 is slowly disappearing in the wake of corporate giant BMW, makes me glad and a bit sad (the TE610 is a legend now) that I’m out of the brand.
Lastly I think it’s safe to say that I have owned and enjoyed possibly the BEST real Husky DS ever!!!
Luckily everytime I board the XR – all sadness disappears, and the next adventure begins!!!  :biggrin:

Attachments

• The monument of Naudesnek.jpg
    The monument of Naudesnek.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 473
  • ZAAR.jpg
    ZAAR.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 459