Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Giving Head ...ers a coating!  (Read 1860 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Giving Head ...ers a coating!
« on: June 09, 2012, 04:14:56 pm »
Ok so had the tank off my Husky TE610, RHS radiator loose etc to reseal the leaking valve inspection covers (notorious culprits, I learn the hard way!). Rechecked clearances while about it as well as the timing chain (5 clicks). Then I thought while I have all this access why not whip off the zorst headers and mid pipe and send for ceramic coating ... no sooner said than done. For those not aware Powerkote ceramic coating is state of the art and allows cooler running, better gas scavenging, corrosion protection etc ... oh and looks cool. I have done headers on three BMW's and been converted ever since - you can literally grip the boxer headers in your hands less than 5 minutes after stopping! Ok so I have seen the black finish on zorsts and does look grand when new but does not last like the silver chrome finish due I believe to the fact that the silver actually has metal oxides in the finish making it tougher (I have used the black on valve covers which seem fine) ... so decided to go for the silver. When new it is buffed bright and then dulls with time to a bit more of an aluminium/anodised look - will though polish right back up like metal chrome with Autosol if one wants. My feeling is the anodised look will be great with the zorst heat shield and alu endcan. When I took off the headers I also noticed a few loose rivets in the lower end of my endcan that I had decatted some months back. Well drilled them out and then thought why not send the internal through-flow perforated pipe and endpiece as well - and will help with cool running and reduce heat to the Giant Loop. Well below the results - for the zorst endcan inner and pipe internals (must get it done inside and out) they use brown ceramic coating. Have buttoned up the endcan and now have to fit the headers ... as soon as the polar bears fook off  :mwink:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:13:52 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
Re: Giving Head ...ers a coating!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 10:25:27 pm »
Looks fantastic!

What sort of prices?
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 10:28:49 pm »
Looks fantastic!

What sort of prices?

About R800 all told.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline ahlbebuck

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • G450X, CRF450R, XR200R
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 11:02:29 pm »
Dom, would you please post some pics of these once you've done a few hours? Would like to see what they look like after some heat cycles.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, its an electrical problem!

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 11:10:31 pm »
Dom, would you please post some pics of these once you've done a few hours? Would like to see what they look like after some heat cycles.

Sure - will do.
My experience with the identical coating on BMW boxer headers is that after about a month they start dulling to a matt anodised look which some like. If you take Autosol and polish them they come quickly right back up like new - the cloth looks black like you are polishing metal - I am guaranteed you will never polish the coating off.

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 10:24:42 pm »
Niiiiiiiice Dom --- Would love to doi that to my Aprilla Dorsoduro while i have them off now -- anyone in the Pta area who can do this ???
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 07:10:50 am »
Niiiiiiiice Dom --- Would love to doi that to my Aprilla Dorsoduro while i have them off now -- anyone in the Pta area who can do this ???

Powerkote JhB = I use Cape Town but they should be as good. Go for the silver if you can and spec coating inside and out.  :thumleft:

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 08:39:32 am »
I did my headers in & out then then whole lot to the rear...looks good in matt black :mwink: Easy to clean :thumleft:
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 10:03:39 am »
I did my headers in & out then then whole lot to the rear...looks good in matt black :mwink: Easy to clean :thumleft:

How long ago? How is it lasting? ... seen some a bit disappointing down the line - not as resilient to stone chips etc as the silver from what I can see.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 11:10:37 am »

How long ago? How is it lasting? ... seen some a bit disappointing down the line - not as resilient to stone chips etc as the silver from what I can see.
March last year...but i ride like a girl...
Seems to be holding up but now that you have cast doubt i need to do a close visual inspection :) If i had wanted gloss black it would have involved a clear coating. I don't know if the silver comes in gloss or if its the additional coat that does it. They recommended i go matt...in hindsight because the clearcoat could delaminate?

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 11:29:53 am »

Seems to be holding up but now that you have cast doubt i need to do a close visual inspection :) If i had wanted gloss black it would have involved a clear coating. I don't know if the silver comes in gloss or if its the additional coat that does it. They recommended i go matt...in hindsight because the clearcoat could delaminate?

No the silver just gets polished/burnished - I think this is the difference. If it dulls you can just polish it right back up and the cloth comes away black as if you are polishing metal!?

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 04:03:11 pm »

No the silver just gets polished/burnished - I think this is the difference. If it dulls you can just polish it right back up and the cloth comes away black as if you are polishing metal!?
ok then the gloss is already in the coating as its the aluminium coming off that blackens.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 06:26:31 pm »

ok then the gloss is already in the coating as its the aluminium coming off that blackens.

No not in the coating ... the silver does not need a clear coat to make it shine...just elbow grease my laarnie.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 06:29:46 pm »

No not in the coating ... the silver does not need a clear coat to make it shine...just elbow grease my laarnie.
That's what i mean't...it's a solid gloss coat but the aluminium will come off when polishing through :thumleft:
As long as your arms getting an alternative workout... ;D

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 10:47:32 pm »
Ok coating standing up very nicely and looks great fitted.