Giving Head ...ers a coating!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiG DoM

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Ok so had the tank off my Husky TE610, RHS radiator loose etc to reseal the leaking valve inspection covers (notorious culprits, I learn the hard way!). Rechecked clearances while about it as well as the timing chain (5 clicks). Then I thought while I have all this access why not whip off the zorst headers and mid pipe and send for ceramic coating ... no sooner said than done. For those not aware Powerkote ceramic coating is state of the art and allows cooler running, better gas scavenging, corrosion protection etc ... oh and looks cool. I have done headers on three BMW's and been converted ever since - you can literally grip the boxer headers in your hands less than 5 minutes after stopping! Ok so I have seen the black finish on zorsts and does look grand when new but does not last like the silver chrome finish due I believe to the fact that the silver actually has metal oxides in the finish making it tougher (I have used the black on valve covers which seem fine) ... so decided to go for the silver. When new it is buffed bright and then dulls with time to a bit more of an aluminium/anodised look - will though polish right back up like metal chrome with Autosol if one wants. My feeling is the anodised look will be great with the zorst heat shield and alu endcan. When I took off the headers I also noticed a few loose rivets in the lower end of my endcan that I had decatted some months back. Well drilled them out and then thought why not send the internal through-flow perforated pipe and endpiece as well - and will help with cool running and reduce heat to the Giant Loop. Well below the results - for the zorst endcan inner and pipe internals (must get it done inside and out) they use brown ceramic coating. Have buttoned up the endcan and now have to fit the headers ... as soon as the polar bears fook off  :mwink:

Attachments

• IMG_0951.JPG
    IMG_0951.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0948.JPG
    IMG_0948.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 171