Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Basket Case?  (Read 1612 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Basket Case?
« on: June 10, 2012, 08:16:01 am »
Anyone with a TE610 or 510 over 12-15000km checked their clutch basket for the 'washer wear' syndrome? Often reported on ADVRider and Husky Cafe.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
Re: Basket Case?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:42:19 am »
When I took my bike in for the 10,000 k service I asked them to check - they said it was fine.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 10:20:34 pm »
All mine are also fine ---
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 07:08:57 am »
Ok - I see some are saying if they have 10 000 miles or so .... 16 000 odd kms I guess so probably a while before I look. Just do not like the look of those pieces of washer that float around  ??? Maybe I get the washers anyway while available...
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline exkdx

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 06:32:35 pm »
I had to replace mine at +- 20 000 kms. I saw some debris when I cleaned the screens while changing the oil - telltale sign that you need to replace. (2006 TE 610)
KDX200 gone
YZ 250 gone
Husky TE610 one left
KTM 500 XC-W latest addition

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 09:48:32 pm »
I had to replace mine at +- 20 000 kms. I saw some debris when I cleaned the screens while changing the oil - telltale sign that you need to replace. (2006 TE 610)

Ja that is what I believe - will keep an eye on i t... have the tutorial and will soon have the custom washers for later.  :thumleft:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 05:15:13 pm »
I took my casing off to check this for myself during an oil change this weekend. (My odo reading is on 13k odd).

I had to borrow a dentists mirror to see behind the back of the clutch.  I didn't want to turn the motor because then I would have issues aligning the crank shaft notch with the oil pump and thus risk breaking the crankshaft when closing the casing.

I could see two of the springs.

The washer on the one side of both the springs was about a third of the thickness of the other (probably more wear on one side due to drive rotation direction).

The thin side was about 1mm while the other side was 3-4mm.

I could see no damage to the clutch plate or anything, but those washers are clearly wearing.

There were a few very small bits (2mm or so) in the main oil screen.  Nothing alarming but clearly its those washers wearing.

So its probably getting close to time to replace them.

Where does one get replacements and should one get super hard material and then have the clutch plate/spring wear instead?

Other than that its pristine in there  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 05:19:11 pm by alanB »

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 08:08:42 pm »
AlanB - there is guy in the States that makes the hardened custom replacement ones. I have spoken with him and he will send a set for U$D80 including postage (and mark value at $25). Maybe if there are a number of us that want we can get some discount? I am prepared to order and pay Paypal. While I do not think I need immediatly will inevitably use them and think I should get while available (you do not want to replace with OEM cheese ones). One still needs to order the OEM rivets - maybe we can also order in matching number from Primrose ?

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 07:40:09 am »
AlanB - there is guy in the States that makes the hardened custom replacement ones. I have spoken with him and he will send a set for U$D80 including postage (and mark value at $25). Maybe if there are a number of us that want we can get some discount? I am prepared to order and pay Paypal. While I do not think I need immediatly will inevitably use them and think I should get while available (you do not want to replace with OEM cheese ones). One still needs to order the OEM rivets - maybe we can also order in matching number from Primrose ?

Good idea.

Can you set this up?  I would like to do it within a month or so, I dont want to wait until they start disintegrating.

Would really appreciate it.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 08:10:26 am »
Sure. 

Any other takers - let me know before week end.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 09:00:38 pm »
Two sets on their way from USA (alanB and me) and rivets on order from Primrose. Preventative maintenance the way to go here IMHO.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 01:37:50 pm »
OK After sitting with all the parts for a few weeks and not making up my mind about whether I was going to try and do this myself (which I would have preferred) or whether I would take it in to Primrose, I finally decided that it would take too long for me to get to it.

After a long chat with Shane I decided that he would do as good a job as I would, so I took it into him.  He sent the basket off to an engineering company for the riveting which was done yesterday and I popped in this morning to have a look at it before its all assembled again.

Looks OK.  Not as neat as the original but the rivets are well and truly riveted!

So thats that done.

I forgot the packet with the original buggered washers there that have now been replaced when I left.  None had failed yet but some were paper thin - so its just as well.

Also everything else looks in good shape in there so I'm happy  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 01:39:22 pm by alanB »

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 06:38:57 pm »
Went for a great ride today after putting it all together again last night (I took the big tank off myself because the guys at Primrose wouldnt have done that before). 

The bike is going very well, could be my imagination but it seems to be going better than usual?

I had the valves checked (apparently they didnt need any setting) and replaced the plug while the tank was off.

I also sealed up the back of the silencer with silicon because it was blowing out of there a bit.

The clutch feels fine as well.

But for some reason the bike seems to be going very nice, pulling quite strongly throughout the range  :thumleft: