Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Engine cuts out - Any ideas?  (Read 7856 times)

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
Re: Engine cuts out - Any ideas?
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2013, 09:09:28 am »
Could the problem be that its a BMW? :peepwall:

Any motorcycle with the level of electronics as found in the BMW R1200GS has more potential for irritating niggles.
Comparing them to a KLR is like comparing the technology of a micrometer with the technology of a shifting spanner.
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline spyker

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Meet the twins!
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2013, 10:31:31 am »
Thank you for the responses.  No, I did not bypass the sidestand switch.  But I don't think it is that.  My problem seems to be unrelated to the road surface or anything else but changing down.  And the faster I do it, the better the chances of cutting out.  If I hold the clutch and wait for the revs to drop and then change gears it doesn't cut out.  I therefore think it is related to the control of the revs while the throttle is closed. But I will bypass and see what happens.  But keep the ideas coming.  I all helps to build the knowledge base. :thumleft:

Have you tried plugging in a GS911 and see if there are any codes present?
Agter osse kom ook in die kraal

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2013, 09:58:37 am »
So I have good news and bad news.  The good news is that the problem is solved.  The bad news is that it was not something that I could do anything about because I don't know how to muck around with stepper motors etc.

It turned out to be the throttle bodies that hardly opened during idling causing the revs to drop below tick-over threshold and then the engine cuts out.  How and why it went out over time, I don't know. I discovered that the engine only cuts out when I close the throttle while pulling in the clutch.  While gearing down I sometimes change down through several gears without letting the clutch out and then the revs - albeit only sometimes - drop too low for the engine to continue ticking over.  This never happens while gearing up because I release the clutch too soon for the revs to drop so low.  With elimination I could establish that it was not the clutch switch, sidestand switch or gear position switch.  Neither was it the cut-off switch or fuel pump and controller.  I was worried about lambda sensors and ECUs but fortunately that was unnecessary.  The bike had to go for service anyway and I asked them to look for the problem.  Fortunately it presented during the test drive and could be located.  However, no fault code was shown.

I hope others with the same problem also get sorted that easily.

From your description it sounds like exactly what my bike does.  Only mine doesn't do it all the time, just every-so-often.  I find that when I approach a stop street or red light and pull clutch while letting go of the throttle, the bike drops revs past where it would normally idle and then it dies.  What I do is to let the throttle go, but not pull in clutch so the engine starts my braking.  But sometimes I still find myself braking like normal.  But like I said, it doesn't happen every time I break like this.

So does this sound like your problem?  What did you do to fix and what was the cost?
Apologies, I only saw your post and questions today.

By the sound of it you may have the same problem I had, i.e. the throttle bodies closing to far. I eliminated all the other possibilities but after a while, and reading too much on the internet, it begins to play with your mind.  Like I said somewhere above, I was worried that it could be expensive sensors, etc.  Fortunately, it was easy to solve.

I cannot remember the exact cost since it was part of the service.  I will have look at the bill and let you know but it wasn't too bad, especially since I now have peace of mind.

I have to add that soon after I got the bike back, it did the same thing again, but only once and it is now more than a month and I use the bike every day.  I am happy.
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2013, 10:06:13 am »
Thank you for the responses.  No, I did not bypass the sidestand switch.  But I don't think it is that.  My problem seems to be unrelated to the road surface or anything else but changing down.  And the faster I do it, the better the chances of cutting out.  If I hold the clutch and wait for the revs to drop and then change gears it doesn't cut out.  I therefore think it is related to the control of the revs while the throttle is closed. But I will bypass and see what happens.  But keep the ideas coming.  I all helps to build the knowledge base. :thumleft:

Thx, S. But I got sorted in the meantime.  But for the record, no I did not try the 911 since I had to take the bike for service anyway.  However, and as per usual, this problem did not show a fault code when they looked for it.  Fortunately the bike presented the symptom when the tiffie took it for a test ride and he could start his search from there.

The problem was solved by (I think ???) Johan at Zambesi.  Very nice and helpful guy who gave me good feedback and lots of info on what he did and how he did it. :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Splash!
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2013, 11:25:17 am »

Thx, S. But I got sorted in the meantime.  But for the record, no I did not try the 911 since I had to take the bike for service anyway.  However, and as per usual, this problem did not show a fault code when they looked for it.  Fortunately the bike presented the symptom when the tiffie took it for a test ride and he could start his search from there.

The problem was solved by (I think ???) Johan at Zambesi.  Very nice and helpful guy who gave me good feedback and lots of info on what he did and how he did it. :thumleft: :thumleft:

Care to share that here?  I now service my bike myself.  I'd rather fix this myself than taking it to a dealer.
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2013, 02:18:08 pm »

Care to share that here?  I now service my bike myself.  I'd rather fix this myself than taking it to a dealer.

Well, the fact that I had a problem concerned me somewhat and I wanted to know what was wrong and how one could possibly avoid it in future.  So I asked to speak to the guy who worked on the bike and he told me that he took it for a test ride and that it died on him too.  Back in the workshop he found that the bike died when he 'touched' the throttle body.  I never had this happening to me but I am not sure what exactly he meant by 'touch'. He told me that he then checked the throttle bodies and found that the one was totally closed and the other just about closed.  He then reset the throttle bodies and also synchronised them so that both open equally. I am not sure if he used diagnostic tools to do this or whether it's a manual job but it involves stepper motors controlled by the electronics. I do not have the knowledge to fiddle with those and therefore I never tried.  I asked him if one could avoid this happening and he said it sometimes happens, nothing much you can do to avoid it. It's a mechanical device and these sometimes lose their settings.  He said he tested all the other systems that could cause the bike to die suddenly and everthing worked fine.  I am afraid that is all I can recall.  Part of our discussion was about the service and what was done for that so I did not talk about the problem only.  Oh, yes - he also tested the lambda sensors (I think on the computer) or at least saw that they were functional to eliminate that possibility.  But he could not find any fault codes.

Offline spyker

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Meet the twins!
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2013, 02:32:01 pm »
you can use the GS911 to reset the stepper motors. Apparently they drift out of sync after a while.
Agter osse kom ook in die kraal

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2013, 04:28:37 pm »
Well, I guess you can then save yourself some bucks.  Although I don't think it was as much as the cost of the 911 but after a service or two by yourself you will be there.   :thumleft:

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Splash!
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2013, 01:30:32 pm »
you can use the GS911 to reset the stepper motors. Apparently they drift out of sync after a while.

I've got a gs911 and will need to service my bike in a month or two.  Will check this when I service. Thanx for all the info.
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.