Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: R1200GSA erratic idle, misfire, pre-ignition, detonation, ping, knock and stall  (Read 18321 times)

Offline Duke916

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Tried the throttle exercise as per your video on my 07 GSA but I only get a very slight hesitation before she settles again  ??? My idle speed seems to be sligtly higher than yours , or is it mostly a 10 up problem  ???
Then : RD50  550 Four  900F   CBX  CBX Prolink XL 500 XR 500  CR 450  MTX 200  916 BIP

Now :  1100RC  R100 RT    1098  RGV 250  KTM 495  R 1200GS ADV    KLR650

Offline CandyMan_ZA

Tried the throttle exercise as per your video on my 07 GSA but I only get a very slight hesitation before she settles again  ??? My idle speed seems to be sligtly higher than yours , or is it mostly a 10 up problem  ???

Yup, on my 07 GS I also only manage to experience a slight uneven idle but nothing like on the later DOHC models I have tried this on.
/\/\/\ R1200GS-WP LC

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
SO here's the kark starting to hit the fan with the BMW's.

BMW apparently remap the bikes that are given to the media as Press-bikes!

"with more peak power and less torque (as many journalists seem to prefer) than the showroom model"

This is absolutely tantamount to false advertising and fraud imo. How the hell can they do that - expect the media to give an honest opinion and getting thousands of us plebs to buy a farking bike based on the media's view of a bike that's NOT available to the public off the showroom floor!

:patch: :patch: :patch: :patch: :patch:

THIS is just unbelievable!!!!!

read here how Triumph have blatently accused BMW and has all the info and proof to back their claims. They have gone in a straight battle with BMW saying that their bikes outperform the GS's.

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/triumph-tiger-explorer-review

:xxbah:

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 03:50:24 pm by Goose »
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline Duke916

Saw the graph for the Triumph the other day on the Dyno day and its true  :xxbah:
Then : RD50  550 Four  900F   CBX  CBX Prolink XL 500 XR 500  CR 450  MTX 200  916 BIP

Offline Trykon

• Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
  • Wherever you go, There you are
Geez, you BM okes put up with a lot of shit on your amazingly expensive bikes!  From the issues in this thread, to rattling clusters,  to hundreds of ridiculously expensive Touratech and/or other little covers, screens, protectors, glare reducers, etc, to make a supposedly "adventure" bike tough, or I guess, adventure proof?  I can only smile.   

Okay sorry, not most of the guys on this forum, but many, many outside of this forum. I guess that's the guys who only ride BMs for the image.

For the rest of you, keep giving BMW hell... And/Or switch to S10, Explorer or the like.

Sorry, I just had to get that in. A bit of a facetious stab I know, so take it with a pinch of salt from a guy who would love to own an expensive luxury jirman bike...okay, maybe not. Sorry, I just cannot stop! :-)
Always Set The Path - Never Follow The Trail

Offline Brandt

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
Geez, you BM okes put up with a lot of shit on your amazingly expensive bikes!  From the issues in this thread, to rattling clusters,  to hundreds of ridiculously expensive Touratech and/or other little covers, screens, protectors, glare reducers, etc, to make a supposedly "adventure" bike tough, or I guess, adventure proof?  I can only smile.   

Okay sorry, not most of the guys on this forum, but many, many outside of this forum. I guess that's the guys who only ride BMs for the image.

For the rest of you, keep giving BMW hell... And/Or switch to S10, Explorer or the like.

Sorry, I just had to get that in. A bit of a facetious stab I know, so take it with a pinch of salt from a guy who would love to own an expensive luxury jirman bike...okay, maybe not. Sorry, I just cannot stop! :-)
I do not believe all the GS bikes have these issues. Maybe seems like a lot of problem bikes but percentage wise I think it is only a small percentage with issues....

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies

I do not believe all the GS bikes have these issues. Maybe seems like a lot of problem bikes but percentage wise I think it is only a small percentage with issues....

Brandt, is it not that people are actually unaware that there is an issue, rather than there is no issue? For example, I have had the pinging, misfire, backfire, cut-out issue and it was sorted to a greater degree by BMW - I assumed my problem was an issolated incident, only to find some time later that this is more comman than people realise! I havn't had my bike dyno'd, but the info that has lcome out recently certainly points to the fact that all is not well?
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore

Brandt, is it not that people are actually unaware that there is an issue, rather than there is no issue? For example, I have had the pinging, misfire, backfire, cut-out issue and it was sorted to a greater degree by BMW - I assumed my problem was an issolated incident, only to find some time later that this is more comman than people realise! I havn't had my bike dyno'd, but the info that has lcome out recently certainly points to the fact that all is not well?

I have in fact had someone ask me... "what is pinging.... or pre-detonation?"  once I explained and they switched their music off in the helmet... they too heard it, but indicated that they did in fact query the rattle and was told it's normal...  ???

So just as with cars - there might well be quite a few that are not even aware of the problem..... and accept what the BMW-gods tell them without questioning. Case in point would be to ask even our forum members - how many of them know about A/F ratios etc. This forum is extremely informative and the collective knowledge and know-how is invaluable......
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline CandyMan_ZA

...this is more comman than people realise!

You said it!  :evil5:
/\/\/\ R1200GS-WP LC

Offline Geriatrix

I seem to have sorted this problem out by adding a little "Spitfire" octane booster to the petrol. About 1/4 of a bottle per tank of 95 octane or 1/3 of a bottle for 93 octane per tankful.
My glass is only full, but boy! did the rest taste good.
Beware kung flu      Stop eating Noodle Poodles

Offline JPvdB

Hi Candyman_ZA,

Let me start by saying I feel your pain!

I am also like you on my 3rd 1200GS, 2007GS, 2010GS and now 2011GSA. With my 2007 there were no pinging/knocking/pre-ignition issues but then I got the oppertunity to upgrade to a 2010 twincam for a good price and I took it.

I experienced the EXACT same symtoms you so accurately described with the 2010 and eventually on the advise of Auto Alpina changed it for a brand new 2011GSA which...............wait for it does the exact same thing!!!! Suprise!!!!!
I searched high and low, trauled all the forums and tried everything, I even spent the 10K and installed the full Dynojet power commander V system and although it made an improvement it still carries the same symptoms!

My bike is sitting on 7800km and therefore have not had its 10k service yet but I doubt BMW Germany would have come to our rescue here in deepest darkest Africa and supply us with mapping software that actually works with our poor fuel quality and environmental conditions!

Nevertheless should you need another comrade to fight the good fight with I am here for you!

PS:To all the members that wanted to advise me to remove the PC before the 10k service.....I know I have to remove the power commander before the service to avoid voiding my warantee! But thanks anyway!

Let me know if you are successfull.

Cheers.
Aspire to Inspire before you Expire!

Offline CandyMan_ZA

Hi JP, I am making progress with this matter, it is slow going but I am getting there, the AA and the NCC (National Consumer Protection) have confirmed they have received my complaint and are investigating.

Can I ask you to subscribe to the BMW Club Cape forum and post this same feedback on there, I know BMW SA are following that discussion?

http://bmwmotorcycleclubcape.co.za/2011-r1200gsa-misfire-or-stall

thank you
Kevin
/\/\/\ R1200GS-WP LC

Offline Brandt

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp

Hi JP, I am making progress with this matter, it is slow going but I am getting there, the AA and the NCC (National Consumer Protection) have confirmed they have received my complaint and are investigating.

Can I ask you to subscribe to the BMW Club Cape forum and post this same feedback on there, I know BMW SA are following that discussion?

http://bmwmotorcycleclubcape.co.za/2011-r1200gsa-misfire-or-stall

thank you
Kevin
:thumleft:

Offline tonys

Specs for the 2013 F700GS and F800GS on Touratech website

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Adventure/Blog/tfMntL/BMW-Unveils-Restyled-F800GS-F700GS

Notice the optional fuel mapping - Engine map adjustment for regular fuel (RON 91)

Why is this option only available in the USA?  >:(
"Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak".

2013 R1200GSA (Sold) 2011 R1200GS Adv (Sold) 2008 R1200GS (Sold)

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
Specs for the 2013 F700GS and F800GS on Touratech website

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Adventure/Blog/tfMntL/BMW-Unveils-Restyled-F800GS-F700GS

Notice the optional fuel mapping - Engine map adjustment for regular fuel (RON 91)

Why is this option only available in the USA?  >:(

Firstly because the USA's Consumer Law actually has the public's interest at heart and they will fight for the client.......... secondly - the "Optional Fuel mapping"  was in fact on the SA Brochures as well..........  (unless it's now been removed)

Offline Duke916

Hi Candyman_ZA,

Let me start by saying I feel your pain!

I am also like you on my 3rd 1200GS, 2007GS, 2010GS and now 2011GSA. With my 2007 there were no pinging/knocking/pre-ignition issues but then I got the oppertunity to upgrade to a 2010 twincam for a good price and I took it.

I experienced the EXACT same symtoms you so accurately described with the 2010 and eventually on the advise of Auto Alpina changed it for a brand new 2011GSA which...............wait for it does the exact same thing!!!! Suprise!!!!!
I searched high and low, trauled all the forums and tried everything, I even spent the 10K and installed the full Dynojet power commander V system and although it made an improvement it still carries the same symptoms!

My bike is sitting on 7800km and therefore have not had its 10k service yet but I doubt BMW Germany would have come to our rescue here in deepest darkest Africa and supply us with mapping software that actually works with our poor fuel quality and environmental conditions!

Nevertheless should you need another comrade to fight the good fight with I am here for you!

PS:To all the members that wanted to advise me to remove the PC before the 10k service.....I know I have to remove the power commander before the service to avoid voiding my warantee! But thanks anyway!

Cheers.

You are more than welcome to store your PC on my bike   :ricky:

Offline GEE-SH

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Any update Candyman?
BMW R9T, BMW R100RS, BMW R80, Triumph Bonneville T100, Norton Commando, KTM 300XC-W, Peugeot 50cc Help My Trap, 2003 BMW R1200C

Offline CandyMan_ZA

Any update Candyman?

Sorry, not yet, the case is with the NCC (National Complaints Commission) and the MIO (Motoring Industry Ombudsman of SA). The MIO sent BMW SA an email on the 9th of July giving them "14 working days as from tomorrow to help resolve this matter". BMW SA responded on the 16th of July, to which I responded the same day. I have had no further response despite repeated follow-ups to the MIO. I would love to let you know what :bs: BMW responded with  :deal:

I do not want to jeopardize this case as it clearly states in the MIO Dispute Resolution Procedure the following,
http://www.miosa.co.za/MIO%20Dispute%20Resolution%20Procedures.htm :deal:
"(xiii) No party shall make any press release or any media announcement of any nature whatsoever from date of dispute declaration until the date when the MIO finalises the dispute resolution process and has advised the parties of its decision and recommendations in writing."

Be patient, I am... :sip:

EDIT: If other readers and R1200GS owners also experiencing these pinging/knocking/pre-ignition/detonation or poor throttle response issues would like to lodge a complaint with the MIO, here is the link, their service is free :deal:
http://www.miosa.co.za/Application.htm
If this is too much effort then just post your experience in this thread, I would like to hear from you.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:53:44 am by CandyMan_ZA »
/\/\/\ R1200GS-WP LC

Offline GEE-SH

• Bike: AJS (all models)
BMW R9T, BMW R100RS, BMW R80, Triumph Bonneville T100, Norton Commando, KTM 300XC-W, Peugeot 50cc Help My Trap, 2003 BMW R1200C

Offline Ruan 800gs

i have a 1200 GSA and when i start it in the morning it idles for about a minute and then dies then when trying to start it again it starts but then idles erraticly and then dies. it keeps going on like that for about 5 times and must rev it the whole time for it to get better? is this the same symtoms? ???