Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Chain / Sprocket noise  (Read 1661 times)

9000rpm

Chain / Sprocket noise
« on: June 13, 2012, 12:41:41 pm »
Goeie Woensdag aan almal...
my 640's chain and sprocket makes a moerse noise at about 95km's onwards   :eek7: - any suggestions of what I can use that has low noise on chain / sprockets please?

thanks a mill

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • DILLIGAF
Re: Chain / Sprocket noise
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 12:43:13 pm »
They are shot, time for new sprocket 's and chain, or tighten them.
Just because your bachelors did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline spankme

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 12:48:39 pm »
1st gear only :imaposer:

9000rpm

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 12:48:54 pm »
They are shot, time for new sprocket 's and chain, or tighten them.

they still look ok, no bent teeth, on the rear sprocket, how would I know if the chain is ka'put?  :patch:

9000rpm

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 12:50:02 pm »
1st gear only :imaposer:

only from about 95km/h onwards... low speed sounds ok - I can hear the motor just fine.... 4th and 5th gear 4000rpm onward.. :-)

Offline spankme

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 01:09:50 pm »
Not the tyre making the sound.teeth don't have to be curved,can youtake a phot

9000rpm

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 02:26:07 pm »
photo of sprockets and Chain? it's a new Mitas tire, the knoblies I had on made more of a noise... I'll add a pic in the morrow of the sprocket...

Offline Motties

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 02:32:40 pm »
photo of sprockets and Chain? it's a new Mitas tire, the knoblies I had on made more of a noise... I'll add a pic in the morrow of the sprocket...
While you are at it, add a pic of your bike as well. Looks very good on your avatar (assume that is your bike?)
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 02:34:33 pm »
While you are at it, add a pic of your bike as well. Looks very good on your avatar (assume that is your bike?)

+1. I also want to see some more of it  :deal:
KTM 690R, 790ADV

9000rpm

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 03:32:22 pm »
hier's dit nou... :-)

Offline Motties

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 03:41:31 pm »
Baie mooi:thumleft: Please just don't add a second fender to that. :mwink:
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline spankme

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 03:42:20 pm »
Its the bag rubbing the chain you can hear ::)

Online AntonW

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 07:54:21 pm »
check the spacers on the rear axle, both on the hub and cush drive. Make sure they are in the right order
Henry Kissinger is said to have once opined that "academic debates are so bitter because the stakes are so low.

" It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you
realise that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence "

9000rpm

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 08:12:01 am »

....you got 3 KTM's do any of them shoot sand up into your face? if not it might be because all 3 have the high fender... I'm sick of a mouthful of sand - I'll have to add the silly fender - test and see from there I recon, maybe I'll do a mud'fpal type jobbie :-) thanks for the compliment on the bike - my first KTM and I'll not deviate in purchasing anything other moving forward... love this bike!!!

9000rpm

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 08:14:41 am »

....you got 3 KTM's do any of them shoot sand up into your face? if not it might be because all 3 have the high fender... I'm sick of a mouthful of sand - I'll have to add the silly fender - test and see from there I recon, maybe I'll do a mud'fpal type jobbie :-) thanks for the compliment on the bike - my first KTM and I'll not deviate in purchasing anything other moving forward... love this bike!!!

thanks Anton - en goeie more...  :lamer: which is the right order you're speaking about? should I not have been able to notice a significant difference in the wheel / alignment if they were out of order perhaps?  ek weet hoe om hierie monster te ry - maar vir regmaak - neem ek haar maar eeder Dirtriders to en smeek vir Mario vir tyd  :thumleft:

Offline spankme

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 08:42:33 am »
If the alignment was out,you would hear it at all speeds.can you describe the sound in words

9000rpm

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 08:49:32 am »
If the alignment was out,you would hear it at all speeds.can you describe the sound in words

hehehe this is gonna be a fun one...
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee perhaps :-)

9000rpm

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 08:52:59 am »

hehehe this is gonna be a fun one...
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee perhaps :-)

... I've even removed the chain guard thinking the chain might be running against the plastic... no change ...  :patch:

Offline spankme

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 10:07:54 am »
Too many eeeees to pin point :imaposer:will be at the workshop from 4:30 if you want to pop round for a beer (montague gardens)

9000rpm

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 10:20:04 am »
Too many eeeees to pin point :imaposer:will be at the workshop from 4:30 if you want to pop round for a beer (montague gardens)

dit klink goed man! moerse dankie - which workshop will this be please - I'm a bit scared to call you "Spankme" it just wouldn't read right "Which workshop would that be Spankme????  :imaposer: The beer would be on me then! :-) please mail me a map of how to get to yours.... if you have a gap to do so please? Baie Dankie!!  :thumleft: