Been a little quiet lately.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermanator

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
On Friday evening, at 17h50, on my way home, I was taken out by the driver of a silver Audi A3. I had turned onto the Foreshore off Heerengracht and was in the centre of three lanes. A BMW was on my right, slightly behind me and, in the left lane (at about 11 o clock), the Audi. As I got next to the Audi, without warning, indication or nought, she turned into me. It was literaly a second and she was there.

I got bounced off the bike, landing (I think) on my elbow, followed by my shoulder and helmet. I was doing about 60kph and, having been bounced off the bike, covered the rest of my journey in a series of bounces and rolls. The road is incredibly hard and the beating seems relentless.

The agony started in my legs and eventually, about a dozen rolls later I finally came to rest. That was the worst.

Lying in the road, I saw how the Audi hadn't stopped and how my bike eventually came apart from the Audi and rolled into the pavment about 400 meters away.

I was fortunate that the chap in the BMW stopped in line with me, forcing the traffic to go around. Another witness chased after the Audi and was just in time to see the car leaving the lights at Oswald Pirow and, identify the driver as a young white woman.

The armour in my Belstaff jacket worked perfectly, apart from that in my left elbow which moved, causing the bone to come in contact with the tar. I had an operation on Friday evening (under local) to clean and dress the wound.

My jacket is in shreds and my armoured trousers have quite a tear in them. Suffice to say, I have bruises on my hips and legs but no road rash, testament to the design of quality protective riding gear. My feet and ankles are heavily bruised and I have sprained the right ankle. And apart from some other aches and pains, am extremely thankful to my riding gear.

Friends have been extremely kind and considerate and I'm grateful to them and all those who have sent messages.

This has been quite an experience and the vivid image of the bouncing and the acuteness of the pain interupt my sleep at night. The fright I gave my wife, Theresa, is not something I would ever want to do again. The driver of the Audi should be arrested shortly and charges laid against her. I feel nothing for the driver and hope this destroys her life, livelihood and family, just as she sought to destroy my life.

Cheers

Lawrence