Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Natal to Tanzania: Spares, Tools, etc.  (Read 880 times)

Offline Japeda

• Puppy
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
Natal to Tanzania: Spares, Tools, etc.
« on: June 17, 2012, 11:25:42 pm »
Hey brews,

So my friend and I have a suzuki DR-650 and (hopefully soon) a DR-Z 400 and are driving up through a bunch of countries for a month and a bit to Tanzania. We've got some clothes, a tent, bags, camping stove, towel, etc. covered, our clothes should be set for riding, and we're in the process of building a tool kit from the sticky here. We're wondering if y'all could post some checklists of things to bring to take care of our bike (i.e. spares) or other random things that might slip ones mind but is necessary on long cruises. Also, should parts be generally compatible for our two DRs (03 and 08, respectively)?

Cheers,
jebb and daniel
Liam and me...

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: Natal to Tanzania: Spares, Tools, etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 08:35:01 am »
Hey brews,

So my friend and I have a suzuki DR-650 and (hopefully soon) a DR-Z 400 and are driving up through a bunch of countries for a month and a bit to Tanzania. We've got some clothes, a tent, bags, camping stove, towel, etc. covered, our clothes should be set for riding, and we're in the process of building a tool kit from the sticky here. We're wondering if y'all could post some checklists of things to bring to take care of our bike (i.e. spares) or other random things that might slip ones mind but is necessary on long cruises. Also, should parts be generally compatible for our two DRs (03 and 08, respectively)?

Cheers,
jebb and daniel

Whilst not a toll, one of the most important bit of kit - i.m.o. - is a cargo net; stashes down small, can be used for a a variety of carrying purposes, and costs just R50!

that would be a must, i.m.o.

Say you take a tumble, and a chunk of mudguard, or something breaks off - just pop it under the cargo net until the next town, etc
Cheers

DYLAN 021 510 6455        bike@flyingbrick.co.za  
HARLEY 021 510 6455      service@flyingbrick.co.za
BEN 021 510 6455             sales@flyingbrick.co.za 
JAN 021 510 6455              web@flyingbrick.co.za
WHATS APP:                      067 278 1893

Offline SwampDonkey

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 07:29:18 pm »
Take lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots........ Of money :pot: :peepwall:

On long trips, I always start off with what I think I will need, lay it on the floor, and then take half of it out. I try to have as much cash available as I can, without being ridiclulous.

before your trip, do a major service on both bike and use the same tools for both bikes as well. seeing as there will be two of you, you can split the load. But before you set off, make sure you can do most repairs with what you take with you.
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

XR650R

Offline red baron

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 10:38:02 am »
Went to a talk given by peeps that did 4bikes4singapore. Check there website for info, 23000km & some 20 countries, they are more than willing to share their knowledge etc. Good trip have fun !!!!!! :drif:
if u cant be a good example be a great warning to others

Offline steveindar

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Eish!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 04:47:53 am »
did you guys manage to do this trip yet?
COVID KILLS SADDLE TIME!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ??? VFR750 Potential off-road hooligan bike!

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 06:22:41 am »
Check out my blog it might be of help: http://mzee-jaki.blogspot.com/2009/10/everyone-has-dream.html

:thumleft: :thumleft:
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline mtbbiker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Meerkat V2.0
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 07:42:27 am »
Lots of reading on the web, look at www.advrider.com - Good articles on what tools to take, but best read what other people have done, look for the 2Up Romanians trip from Romania to Cape Town and back

Why don't you start a list.

1. Extra clutch cable
2. Spare tubes.
3. Duck tape
4. Cable ties
5. ...
Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination - Fitzhugh Dodson
Project Meerkat:DRZ rally build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86025.0