Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Advice for Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Japeda

• Puppy
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
Advice for Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique
« on: June 18, 2012, 12:16:29 am »
Hey brews,

Planning a trip from South Africa to Tanzania and trying to figure out what route to take. We have a month and we'd love to ride through Namibia but it takes up a lot of time and we're wondering what awesome places there are to see in Namibia Botswana Zambia Zimbabwe and Mozambique that may be more worth our time. Basically we're looking for suggestions of areas that are naturally magnificent to drive through (i.e. Salt Pans in Botswana).

Cheers guys thanks a ton.

Jebb and Daniele
Liam and me...

Geotraveller

Re: Advice for Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 08:43:47 am »
In Bots, the pans are great, visit Kubu Island if you can, pm Mark Hardy or Adventurer they have tons of advise.

The road bewteen Nata and Kasane has roadworks on it but is a great drive, Ellie country so keep a camera handy.

If you are going via Vic Falls let me know I can possibly put you in touch with some folks up there.

Depending how you travel in Moz, if you get to Lichinga alos let me know, have some mates there that may help out as well.

Good luck enjoy and yes I am jealous!!

Offline Japeda

• Puppy
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 12:29:36 pm »
Great, thanks for the help.

We're definitely hitting Vic Falls and planning on following the Zambezi river up on Zambia side, anyone know if there's a road that follows it up (I would imagine it's gorgeous), or other rides along that border up to Malawi worth checking out?

Cheers
Liam and me...

Online schalk vd merwe

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 12:01:02 pm »
Read my RR under >Ride Reports>Long Tours>Africa tour to the Equator and back in 40 days, it will give you some ideas of route and cost of the trip and what to expect. Enjoy Schalk.
1/The only way to get experience is to get experience-Schalk                
2/Ride Reports>Long Tours>Africa Tour To The Equator And Back In 40 Days
3/A stranger is just a friend you have not met yet
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer
5/Use the rocks in the your way to build stepping stones-Herman Zapp

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 03:13:19 pm »
"following the Zambezi river up on Zambia side, anyone know if there's a road that follows it up (I would imagine it's gorgeous)"

When you done at Vic Falls, cross the bridge over in Zambia (Livingstone) and then head west, past Kazangula, and to the border post at Katimo Mulilo. From there the road heads up North along the western side of the Zambezi. A good camping spot it at Kabula Tiger lodge (they have chalets too, google them). The road was a very bad one, especially in the wet season (Oct - March) but the Chinese are busy tarring it now, I don't know how far they have got by now. You will have to cross over the Zambezi to get to the east side again, using a ferry, just make sure its running, it takes a couple of months after the end of the rainy season for the river to subside enough for it to operate. Then continue north through Senanga, onto tar again, up to Mongu. At Mongu you can head east again and follow the tar through the Kafue National Park all the way to Lusaka...

Hope this helps.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline TropicThunder

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 08:49:12 am »
I have been to Porta De Xai Xai; and it is really awsome; slept on the beach (I am not sure if it is still safe to do this).

Offline TropicThunder

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 08:54:50 am »
I have been up too Maun in Bots; entered through Makapong; then Swaneng; Kang; Ghansi.... most of it is tarred