Re-Mapping of your BMW R1200GS/GSA's ECU ......... Graphs added?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Chaps - this is very much a "feeler" post.

If (a big if) I can convince the chaps from the UK to fly to Cape Town with their box of tricks.... to re-map your GS's ECU to what it SHOULD be......... in other words -

- NO MORE PINGING - correct 13.2 - 13.5:1 Air Fuel mixtures.
- No more damage to the engines..............
- HUGE increase in power, smoothness......

Basically the idea would be to undo what BMW have done to their ECU's to comply with the EU-3 Emission standards, which effectively strangles and throttles the bikes......

Would there be chaps interested in this?

Would or Could we look at sorting out accomodation & re-turn flight for the blokes....... perhaps even put together a bit of a trip in SA to sweeten the deal.......??

It would probably still cost us a few Zar's .. but I'd like to see if its worthwhile even proposing such a deal.

Here's some responses after re-mapping was done:

But, is it too good to be true?
Will my bike go POP on the Dyno or on the way home?
Will BMW read the ECU and tell me to go*%($£) if something goes wrong?

Anyway, mine is a 2008 GS12, that's done 24,000 miles.

Today I visited Geoff and suffered the mental torture at the prospect of it going on to the dyno and then the first run up to the redline, screaming away. I screamed inside.

The base line was 82bhp and 70 torques. Both curves zig zagged wildly with little smoothness. The fuel air ratio was roundabout 19, which is way off the ideal.

Geoff then wiped the standard map off and installed some black magic and started screaming to the redline again.

With his tinkering the end result was 104bhp and 83 torques.

The journey home was mainly M1, with a few proper miles at both ends.
Wow.
It's now soooo smoooth.
It feels fitter in everygear and shoots forward.
Roll ons are better.
There's virtually no delay in turning the throttle to feeling the acceleration.
I am impressed.

Going down the MPG was 49, coming back at a higher speed it was 52.

I've had a test on the Crosstourer and loved the engine but not the rest of it.

With my "new" engine, I have no reason to change bikes.

another...............

My remap went a whole lot better though. Short version: My bike is a 2010 R1200GS, DOHC. Standard exhaust, still with cat, standard air filter. First dyno run gave 80.41bhp at 6,117rpm, and 69.51 ft/lb 5,990rpm. I was a little surprised at that, because I always thought the engine was pretty good, and if I had had to guess, I would have said 90+bhp. Oh yeah, and mine was also running really lean, as in 17 to 19:1 air/fuel ratio up to 3,500rpm. It improved some after that, but still lean throughout the rev range.

After the remap, the first run gave 104.05bhp at 7,702rpm, and 79.86 ft/lb at 6,303 rpm. Geoff then had a little fettle, which gave the final result of 105.06bhp at 7,513 rpm, and 79.53 ft/lb at 6,075 rpm.

That's a 25bhp (or 31.25%) increase in horsepower, and 10ft/lb (or 14.42%) increase in torque, at the rear wheel. Geoff reckons that this would be something like 130bhp at the crank, by the way.

I didn't get a chance to find out what it felt like on the way home, as it was pouring down the whole way. But this afternoon it was dry.... the character of the bike feels the same, it's just like it's got a whole lot more 'pep', especially in the upper reaches of the rev range. The bike feels really fit and responsive, and cruising at speed feels far less stressed.

Just bear in mind that I have been trying to get the AF mixture mapping issue resolved since 2009 .... my issue with BMW has always been that the bikes are leaving the factory setup according to the European Union rules. WE DO NOT LIVE IN EUROPE!!  Our fuel is different, our riding conditions and temperatures are different. I was not interested in extra power or performance - the fight has always been to ensure my bike that was bought with my hard earned money will last longer than the 2 years the warranty covers!
This is and has always been about the Air/Fuel ratio's............ and here's a simple solution that would take the mixtures back to an acceptable level - THEN you can go and tune the bike and do all kinds of wonderful things to get more power & performance out of the bike!

Make sense........  :eek7: