Rhino Park - No Pics....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funacide

Race Dog
Administrator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
Thought I would post this as it was quite a revelation for me on two accounts. Sorry no pics, forgot the camera at home.....

A guy that I just employed hears I ride DS bikes and invites us to go to the MX track just east of PTA (Rhino Park) for a day out. He has a 2005 Kawa 250 2-stroke MX bike. He also mentioned that besides the MX track there is a good technical play area behind the MX track with thick sand and some technical stuff where my pig would be able to play.

So we (the wife rode pillion) arrive at the Rhino park with greetings from hundreds of Quads and many MX type bikes, all of them looking and wondering what a big BM machine was doing in this play area...

We meet up with G and head towards the play area. Let me first put this into perspective, my wife and I have been practicing the off-road pillion riding thing but nothing much more than dirt roads with the odd patch of sand (not too thick) hear and there. The road to the play area starts off with a 10 to 15 meter incline probably at about 35 degrees with some soft sand on the way up. So we stand up and gun it up. No problem this is not going too bad so far. About 50 meters along the track is a water crossing with mud on either side this was fairly easy as the underwater part of the crossing is concrete.

After the water crossing, G stop and says to us that the next section is a bit tricky as it has quite a bit of thick sand (not something we have tried before 2 up!!) but I can?t look like a coward in-front of G so I warn the wife to keep standing and to hold on. Surprisingly, the GS handles easier in the thick stuff 2up than 1up (or maybe I am just getting used to it). So eventually after some heart racing moments through quite a bit of sand, we get to the play area, we both off-load the ladies and start playing, much like the quarry area we visited a couple of weeks ago, just a lot more traffic. It was HORDES OF FUN??

We stop after about 45 minutes for a smoke break and G says to me, why don?t I give his KAWA 250 a go around this area. He is a brave man as I have never ridden a MX bike before. Well what a piece of machinery. The bike is amazing, I have to get an MX bike really soon, the 2 stroke delivers serious amounts of power for a 250, with the wheel wanting to lift in the soft sand in just about any gear. The bike tracks through the thick sand without even blinking an eyelid. When the back-end sways around, you feel totally confident to fling it around as it feels so light. After about 15 minutes of riding around (shit it is hard work this MX riding), we head back to the rest area for a well deserved beer.

While we are having a beer, G than says we should take his bike to the MX track for a bit more fun. He takes it around first to show me the what to do and what not to do?s. I then get on an take the first lap quite easy so I can get a feel for what lays on the other side of those huge mounds of sand. Second lap I decide to be a bit more adventurous and on the last table top I decide to give it more gas, (this ramping stuff is seriously KEWL although my first few landings are a bit hard). Now we are doing the track backwards because all the other people on the track have decided so. I come over the table top (+/- 5 meters high), as you come down the back side of it, there is another small jump ahead and I am going too fast to keep the bike on the ground (2 main problems, the landing area is flat and you have to turn left immediately after landing) so I land hard on the flat piece and get over eager on the brakes as I am landing, well lets just say I found out how hard you can fall on these things. Nothing broken on the bike (thank goodness) or me (except some bruises in the rib and hip area). 5 more uneventful laps go by, learning to slide the arse out on the corners is kewl.

We head back, have a few more beers and then head home for the day, with me wanting to go out and buy one of those babies the next day.

I must take my hat off to my wife for going through the sand with me and trusting me and to G who now wants to buy a DS bike as well, thanks for the ride it was awesome man??
:wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: