Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Greening our country  (Read 976 times)

Offline Doggone

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Fairlands, Johannesburg
Greening our country
« on: September 14, 2007, 11:48:03 am »
We had an interesting session at work today. We have started a community project , together with Food and Trees for Africa, to help with the greening of schools and growing of food. 

The needs are great and I am happy to  be involved with a corporate community that actually cares and is trying to alleviate some of the problems in this country.

During the session I was referred to a CO2 calculator , which tells you how many trees would be required to negate your own personal Carbon Footprint. I went to the calculator and see that it will take 11 trees.

This got me thinking.....maybe some Wilddogs want to participate in a project like this? Even if you dont, do your personal footprint calc by following the link below. It will at least serve to create awareness.

And remember if we all do a little....................it could be worth a lot! ;D

http://www.trees.co.za/ and go to the co2 calculator

« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 11:51:45 am by Pierredb »
"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the Courage to Continue that Counts"  Winston Churchill
Bike History: 1976 Yamaha Chappy-50cc; 1978 Yamaha RD50; 1979 Suzuki TS125; 1980 Suzuki GS 400; 27 years of bikelessness ; 2007 BMW R1200GS - 125 000 km's , 2017 BMW R1200GSA LC (Lowered)😁 WOW!

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
Re: Greening our country
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 03:34:29 pm »
Interesting site... thanks for the link.
I've planted over 250 indigenous trees on our property, so I should be "in credit" for a while ;D
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 09:40:51 pm »
Very interesting - also planted about 150 trees.... managed to get hold of Mr Chris Buys - Parks & Forests and they "donated" the trees from the Newlands nursery....

We've also just "hijacked" a large part of Public space and creating gardens as Council do not have the funds to maintain it!
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 02:48:07 pm »
Ok - its EV here signed in as Mark - Pierre, I think this is fantastic and I feel it should be supported wholeheartedly.

I think we should ask the mods if we can put these issues up in the "jou ma thingies" for a day or two before they go into this thread, so that these flipping worthwhile projects get some airing before the conscience can ignore them - what do you guys think?