Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Mozambique Shipwrecked  (Read 4758 times)

Offline BatmanGS

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Re: Mozambique Shipwrecked
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2012, 11:57:25 pm »
What an awesome trip you went on,  :drif: :drif:

'It's not what you Ride ...........It's who YOU ride with'

Offline HB 9

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2012, 02:29:17 pm »
Absolutely fantastic! True adventure! Thank you for sharing  :thumleft:
Tread lightly

Offline superten

• has a magnificent
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • ...XTZ 750 Super Tenere
    • the seals of nam
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2012, 03:15:26 pm »
Excellent RR.The bike looks great!Which tyres are you running with?
It is time.

Offline SwampDonkey

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2012, 05:26:26 pm »
Excellent RR.The bike looks great!Which tyres are you running with?

:thumleft: :thumleft: I have been running Metzler Karoo front and back for a while now. I have tried a few variations, but what works best for me and my style of riding are the Karoo's. I dont get very good milage though, but I think that has more to do with my right hand being somewhat over enthusiastic with throttle control  :lol8:

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

XR650R

Offline superten

• has a magnificent
    • the seals of nam
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2012, 08:42:19 pm »
Oh dear!And how did the bike perform since the rebuild?Good km/l for the trip?
It is time.

Offline SwampDonkey

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2012, 11:01:02 am »
Since the rebuild, the bike has been fantastic. I have kept regular services, and general maintenance has been kept up as well. At one point though I had an issue with the bike running out of fuel at full taps, but I seem to have ironed that one out. After an emulsion tube change I was getting very poor milage per litre, around 12/13kms/lt. the kind my little golf does. but I fiddled with the carbs before I left and my average was between 18 and 19km/lt which it what its supposed to be getting. I think my worst milage for the trip was around 17kms/lt, but that was the day I spent mostly in soft sand and the bike had to work pretty hard.

All in all she runs brilliantly and I step away after each ride with a huge grin on my face, and after a trip like I have just had, even more so :ricky:

Last installment to follow........
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

XR650R

Offline spoedvark

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2012, 12:10:57 pm »
Awesome ride on an awesome looking bike!!!!!

Thanks for sharing.
Go Big!
or
Go Home!!!!
Previous bikes:
Yamaha XS 400 Special Kawasaki ZX 10 Yamaha XT 550 BMW 650 GS BMW 1200 GS KEEP THE RUBBER DUSTY!!!!

Offline goingnowherequickly

« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2012, 06:13:32 pm »
Great Report, thanks for posting....
I wonder what happened next... :biggrin:

Offline PaintedDog

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2012, 06:18:25 pm »
Fantastic, Now thats motivation for me. Thank you for sharing.

Offline MINZI

• Under Construction!
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
  • Right here, right now, nothing else matters.
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2012, 01:27:33 pm »
Do you have contact info for Paraiso de Chidenguele. Very nice RR. I did a similar route in that area with the 4x4 many years ago. :thumleft:
If you do not STAND for something, you will FALL for anything!

Offline SwampDonkey

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2012, 09:19:46 pm »
Do you have contact info for Paraiso de Chidenguele. Very nice RR. I did a similar route in that area with the 4x4 many years ago. :thumleft:

nope, sorry I dont. I just pitched up and was lucky enough to be the only guest that night. the reciept I received doesnt have any detials about the place either.

XR650R

Offline SwampDonkey

« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2012, 11:48:01 pm »
Day 5 arrrived as expected, and I was up at the crack of dawn ready to go find that shipwreck that I had seen on my map, at least 100 times up untill this point. I had visions of an old skeletal carcass half buried in the sand like some long lost pirate ship. And the possibility of finding some treasure was not not far from my mind either.... It was the heat making me irrational I swear it  :peepwall:

After a quick coffe or two and a once over check of the bike, I saddled up and headed for Madendere. Just as well I remembered my self inflicted speed check as the speedy was out bright and early, and I gave a friendly wave as I rode past.... He actually waved back with a smile. Dont think our cops would do that?

I turned off the tar at Madendere, and rode into the great unknown for the day. Was it to be a raving success a short term fantasy come true, or was it to be a day of sandy torment and that bitter taste of defeat. What ever it was to be, I knew as soon as my wheels hit the dirt track, was that I was in for an adventure.

I had ridden the first 20kms or so the day before, and all I had to do was follow my GPS track to get back to where I had left off. I carried on further along the sandy track, and was having an absolutley perfect start to the day and was handeling the sand way better than I thought I would. I was still a tad nervous though and could feel myself tense up when the sand became very soft. but in the end I managed just fine and although there were the odd moment when I thought i was going down, I actually managed to keep the power on and had no off's. there were not as many people out and about as the previous evening, though I did pass many folks who were out tending to their crops or carrying water drums here and there, scratching out a living as best they could. I remember at one point thinking to myself that the place seemed a bit too deserted, like there was something missing or out of place. and after a while it dawned on me what it was. There werer no kids around that I could see. Sure there were the few youngsters still attached to their parent, but no groups of kids just sitting about or wandering about the place, playing soccer in the field etc. I eventually rode past a small school, and the place was packed, and they all cheered and waved as I rode past with a few hoots. Its not the first time I have seen this difference. here at home I see kids in their school uniforms walking around in groups in the middle of the day and I always think that it is a shame they dont seem so keen on education. Yet out in the bush in the middle of nowhere, kids may not have uniforms or even shoes for that matter, yet they still go to school every day and make a huge effort to get there.  I met a teacher in Kenya once, who taught english at a small rural school. he taught four classes each day, the smallest group being about 20 kids, and the largest about 60 kids. When I asked him how big his classroom was, He told me that he didnt have one. Classes were held outside under one of the trees in the yard and all the kids sat on the floor or shared small benches and chairs.  :eek7:

But I digress....

So the sun was up, the track was good, and I had finally settled into the ride and my nerves smoothed out. my spirits were high and I was hip deep in my adventure.  I suppose at this point in any story is where the tense music starts playing and there is this expectancy of a sudden calamity of sorts. But as luck would have it, today was my day and I was riding like a champ.... Hell, I bet the Dakar would be a piece of cake after doing this stuff, I mean c'mon what was all that fuss about soft sand riding?? etc etc... you know the kind of high I am talking about when things are going well when you are out there riding the things you normally battle with.

And so it went, mile after sandy mile, I kept the wheels turning and the power on around the corners and was remembering to breathe, and not tense up too much. I eventualy rode through what was once the town of Dinguini, but all ythat remains are abandoned buildings and a few farm huts nearby.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cMK4RiYegPQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cMK4RiYegPQ</a>

Once I rode through Dinguini I knew I was on the rigt track for sure, and that my ship was not too far away. After a few more kms I came to another little settlement where the road I was on met up with a new and much softer track. I turned right towards the beach and wobbled and weaved my way out of town. A bit of a scary moment around a particularly soft corner, and was elated when I came out the other side with not so much as having lost my balance and put a foot out. At this point I was only a few kms from the beach, and the track was getting progressively sandier. I was still very much in shock for not having fallen off by now, and trying not to tempt fate too much either my inflating my ego beyond my helmet.

But no!!  

I very cautiously crossed over a small and rather wobbly wooden bridge onto Canda Island and could practically feel the ancient wood of the shipwreck beneath my fingers....  I stopped for a breather and could faintly hear the sea on the breeze. I was close to seeing the wreck and had to walk away from my bike and go look at the view cause I could feel myself just wanting to get on and ride as fast as I could to the waters edge. When I had myself under control, I rode on and eventually came across a heavy chain blocking my way. That initial horror of seeing defeat before you get to where you want to jumped up and I had a few choice words to no one in particular out of sheer frustration. BUt then a chap appeared with a clip board and pen and I had to sign myself in. a minute later I was through and on my way again.... woohoo!!

two corners later I fell on my face.

note the small bridge at the end of this clip... kakked myself going over it as it was somewhat wobbly

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fK_0lG3nyY4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fK_0lG3nyY4</a>

there were no signs of life about and I was looking for a way to the beach. I was on one side of the sand dune that is covered in natural bush and the sea and the wreck were on the other side, just had to find a way over. I came to the corner and before I entered it I knew I was going too slow and was looking down again. The very things that I was managing to avoid thus far in the day. I hit the deep sand and my front wheel immediately started digging its way south. The bike came to a stop and off I came and landed in a heap with a mouthfull of sand. A quick check to see that all systems were functioning, I got up to assess the situation. I had to dig sad out from the front wheel and heaved the bike upright. after a few minutes rest I climbed back on and headed off.

Straight away there was something wrong. My bike was fine, but I was not in good shape. All of a sudden I felt nervous again and had lost my rythm. the bike felt unruly beneath me, and my right hand was begining to play up and not keep the power on any more. I had just lost my sand mojo. after a few hundred meters I had to stop and take a break. I was feeling so pissed off that after just a small and very slow faceplant I was affected to such an extent that I was riding like a twatwaffle. all of a sudden being out in the middle of nowhere on my own in a foreign place was looking to be not such a good idea, and whos dumb idea was this in the first place??

Seriously, I could not believe the process of doubts and deflation. I was supposed to be having an adventure and here I was bitching to myself about it. Then It dawned on me that it was actually what I was half expecting anyways, and to have tempted fate all morning by thinking about falling off, did it come as a huge surprize that an introductory faceplant was delivered as per my subconcious request. Get a grip on yourself pal, it is still early in the day and there are many more miles of this stuff to ride.

After my little pep talk and a few sips of water, I was feeling much better and had a little chuckle even. When I got back on my bike, I was not so nervous anymore and I didnt feel so intimidated by the sand. I rode on for a while and soon saw that there were tracks leading up the dune, but there were also houses at the top of those tracks. I stopped at the bottom of one track, and decided to walk up a bit and see if there was  a way to the beach or perhaps someone who knew of a way over the dune. I was about halfway up the track when I saw this fella tending to the garden outside a very posh looking house. And there where to vehicles with GP plates parked in the driveway. The chap went to the  house and called someone, and by the time I got to the top of the driveway, a chap came out the house to greet me. I asked about a way to get to the beach and if he knew where about the shipwreck was supposed to be.

Sadly though, the old ship that used to be there, has been cut up by the locals and carted off for scrap metal a few years ago. So there is no longer a wreck to be seen  :xxbah:

needless to say I was bummed at this news. I was so very much looking forward to seeing the werck and taking some pics, but it was not to be. I headed back to my bike for a think and to figure out where I should head off to from where I was. In the end I decided to head back to the lodge and have a decent breakfast and do my deciding over coffee.

some sections of canda island were nice and firm.

I headed back the way I had come and thankfully I had my mojo back again and I was riding the sand as well as I was earlier. I came to the corner where my bike fell asleep and rode it like it was a perfectly flat gravel road. not even so much as a wobble through the corner :ricky:

Approaching one of the soft corners. thought you could see more of the corner when I took the pic.... my bad

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:17:55 pm by charliegreger »

XR650R

Offline Chris_M

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • Munton Vibratory Technology Pty Ltd
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2012, 02:58:56 am »
Nice, time to get off the hamster wheel and take a ride, thanks

Offline Ploegskaar

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2012, 09:18:22 am »
Blerrie nice RR, no verlang ek erg na my eerste Moz trip.
Currently "Bikeloos"
SOLD - KTM 990 Adventure S
SOLD - Yamaha YZ250
Too many other bikes owned in the past to mention
You have to learn the rules of the game, and then you have to ride faster than anyone else.

Offline superten

• has a magnificent
    • the seals of nam
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2012, 01:13:16 pm »
You look so comfortable on the bike. Thanks for sharing!
It is time.