Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Has the Titanic sailed?  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Dwerg

Re: Has the Titanic sailed?
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2012, 10:51:56 am »
I've thought about it once or twice mostly because the cost of rallying. That is until I get back on my 800GS and fly down to a meeting. Then I think of chasing Dakar or the longer trips my wife and I do (she has a 650GS), and I cannot bring myself to sell it.

I rode my 640 this week for the first time since getting the 800. I couldn't believe how slow it felt. At first I thought there was something wrong with it. I love that on the 800 I can bullet 150 odd kays to get to a nice road, go play around and shoot back home and be back in time for brunch, not to mention doing longer trips in comfort. That being said, I am glad I'm lucky enough to have 2 bikes bacause choosing between the two would be very difficult.

For me, choosing between a new 1200ADV and 3 smaller second hand bikes is an absolute no brainer

But, does your 800gs have a 400km+ fuel range?

It might feel slow, but it has top quality suspension, brakes and awesome ground clearance. We all know that OEM 800GS suspension sucks almost as much as the crackwhore Piston Pete mentioned earlier.  :thumleft:

800gs is a great bike, but needs a lot of extras to compete on the level of the 640adv. However, if you fix the suspension, add some extras, im afraid the 640 will be standing for a long time.

Errrrr.... I have a 640 and an 800. I know first hand what the differences are  :deal:
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline adv

• <INSERT CUSTOM TITLE HERE>
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Wheelie Everything.
    • Clutch Up
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2012, 10:58:29 am »
I've thought about it once or twice mostly because the cost of rallying. That is until I get back on my 800GS and fly down to a meeting. Then I think of chasing Dakar or the longer trips my wife and I do (she has a 650GS), and I cannot bring myself to sell it.

I rode my 640 this week for the first time since getting the 800. I couldn't believe how slow it felt. At first I thought there was something wrong with it. I love that on the 800 I can bullet 150 odd kays to get to a nice road, go play around and shoot back home and be back in time for brunch, not to mention doing longer trips in comfort. That being said, I am glad I'm lucky enough to have 2 bikes bacause choosing between the two would be very difficult.

For me, choosing between a new 1200ADV and 3 smaller second hand bikes is an absolute no brainer

It might feel slow, but it has top quality suspension, brakes and awesome ground clearance. We all know that OEM 800GS suspension sucks almost as much as the crackwhore Piston Pete mentioned earlier.  :thumleft:

800gs is a great bike, but needs a lot of extras to compete on the level of the 640adv. However, if you fix the suspension, add some extras, im afraid the 640 will be standing for a long time.

Errrrr.... I have a 640 and an 800. I know first hand what the differences are  :deal:

Errr - dont want you to forget that.  :mwink:

Offline Remy

• Iron Rider
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Iron Rider
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2012, 11:01:06 am »
I don't have the money to buy more than 1 bike, so the 1 that I have has to do, everything/everwhere I ride.
En voor julle begin: Gaan KAK! Ek ry ook my bike. :3some:

Met n offroad trailer sal jy ook kan dualsport    :peepwall:

Small singles rock. Took my CT110 on a fishing trip to Struisbaai the other day. Took ages, but small enough to get to all the lekker fishing spots.

Het jy darrem al jou protective gear an gehaad?
Boots,gloves,jacket,broek etc dit sou kak funny gelyk het

Take what you can, give nothing back.
1981 YZ 80 Sold
1982 GSX 250 Sold
1985 MBX 50 Sold 1978 CB 550 Sold 1984 GSX 750 Sold 2006 CBR 600 RR Sold 2009 TRX 400 Present 2007 XL883 Sportster Sold 2009 F800GS Sold 1984 XR 500 RE Present

Offline Bensien

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2012, 11:12:03 am »

I hate fake tits more than I hate KTM's  >:D
'
I can understand if a man says he prefers natural to artificially enhanced. But to hate? Uhm... er... No, let's just forget I brought this up.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2012, 03:54:09 pm »

It might feel slow, but it has top quality suspension, brakes and awesome ground clearance. We all know that OEM 800GS suspension sucks almost as much as the crackwhore Piston Pete mentioned earlier.  :thumleft:

Errrrr.... I have a 640 and an 800. I know first hand what the differences are  :deal:

Errr - dont want you to forget that.  :mwink:

Frankly I think the kak suspension improves my skill.  :lol8:

I also know the difference between good and kak suspension and all I have done to my 800 is put in Dot 15 oil in the front forks and it behaves much better now. All the other farkles are cosmetic IMO.

But this thread is not about the lewensgevaarlik ::) but about the DS bike, and my point is really this: I want to keep my not-so-fantastic-hated-by-the-riding-gods 800GS over getting a smaller bike instead. I am in the fortunate position of having both, and both perform different purposes.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 03:55:35 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Vlakhaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2012, 10:16:12 am »
Just came back from a weekend trip through part of the Namib and part of the Kalahari. Loaded with camping gear, varying road conditions including sand and a short bit of tar. Cruising speed was 120-140 on the gravel. The GSA was perfect, I am keeping the battleship!

I also had a quick ride on a lightly loaded Tenere. Was very impressed with the suspension and how nimble it felt, but the GSA stay my weapon of choice. If one start to look at mid sized bikes, I believe that Tenere will be awesome.

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2012, 10:18:33 am »
Just came back from a weekend trip through part of the Namib and part of the Kalahari. Loaded with camping gear, varying road conditions including sand and a short bit of tar. Cruising speed was 120-140 on the gravel. The GSA was perfect, I am keeping the battleship!

I also had a quick ride on a lightly loaded Tenere. Was very impressed with the suspension and how nimble it felt, but the GSA stay my weapon of choice. If one start to look at mid sized bikes, I believe that Tenere will be awesome.
A 660 Vlakhaas?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline adv

• <INSERT CUSTOM TITLE HERE>
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Wheelie Everything.
    • Clutch Up
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2012, 10:43:18 am »

A couple of years ago, the Tenere was the only real single cylinder adventure bike out there with a decent fuel range that you could buy new. The  640 was dropped and most of us saw the 660 as a worthy replacement, except for suspension.

Now that you can buy an Oryx, its a different ballgame, but you can also buy 2 fairly used 660z's for one Oryx. The GSA is good for one thing, covering large distances quickly and in comfort.

Offline Vlakhaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2012, 11:38:59 am »

A 660 Vlakhaas?

Jip, was a 660. Must say, I was pleasantly surprised.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2012, 11:40:10 am »

Lekker engines, those...
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2012, 11:42:30 am »

Lekker engines, those...
I really like the white and red ones but those bikes are so blarry tall :eek7:
I opened eight gates yesterday and getting on and off with the Tenere would be work. :biggrin:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za