Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2013 Huskys  (Read 1081 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
2013 Huskys
« on: June 30, 2012, 07:18:10 am »
Not exactly all new (or for that matter good) news ... seems the concept Husky 650 BMW clone is a reality for 2013  and a few other toys...

http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=35B56BC5540B4D269FD3C29F31651BDF

Bit heavy IMHO around 170kg ... will stick with my TE610 thanks  :thumleft: ... and wait to see whether a production Nuda Adv filly appears  >:D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:25:04 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
Re: 2013 Huskys
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 08:26:12 am »
Sounds more like a commuter..... The 'real Husky's however are still awesome  :laughing4:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:46:21 am »
From the article...
That means it's a street bike with some off road capability....

Yup, thats the BMW influence for you!

Why didnt they just release it as a BMW, because thats what it is, its not a Husky. 

For some reason BMW just cant/wont build a proper off road orientated adventure bike.

They COULD brief Husky to build a proper adventure version of the Nuda - but they wont.  Its street bikes or nothing as far as they are concerned.

They COULD have taken the TE610/630 and briefed Husky to build a TE650 which would have been stunning, and given them a true competitor to the 690 - but they wont.

Its a crying shame!

Instead we get watered down heavy, road bikes with "some off road capability" badged as Huskys.  Its so bloody frustrating watching these idiots piss away a great heritage and capability.

And they probably think they are soooo clever and far sighted, but in reality they just dont have any understanding of this market niche, so they pretend that its not there - arseholes!

Its almost as if the executive in charge has some sort of prejudice against off road bikes or something!
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:51:10 am »
Well said!

Online Dux

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 10:57:06 am »
Big Brother BMW , it is very sad that the Husky guys aren't given free rein , but then again maybe these are stop gap models to satisfy Euro demand .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 01:06:53 pm »
Big Brother BMW , it is very sad that the Husky guys aren't given free rein , but then again maybe these are stop gap models to satisfy Euro demand .

It is unfortunately always about Euro demand and stats. The reality is DS is not as big there and limited place to ride ... this also affects the R&D of the DS bikes that end up being soft and road orientated and continue to have anomalies like no tools in BMW's (as there is Road Side assist for such things!), soft suspension, still after all these years have low forward facing air intakes on the Boxers (WTF!), etc etc. Do not get me started. The design arrogance of the Italians combined technical stubbornness of the Germans does not forebode well unfortunately.  :-\
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Online Dux

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 01:48:53 pm »
And unfortunately our market is tiny compared to Europe , so their demands will prevail at the end of the day , but we can however hope for the best . 
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 08:45:09 am »
Some promises being made ... see pages 63/4 of Offroad & Adventure SA July edition wherein Sir Alan Cathcart speaks to von Kuenheim ... "but then we will have forgotten Husqvarna's tradional roots, and the next three new models after that (the streetwise scoots) will be all be offroad bikes, including one really, REALLY radical one that is sure to get people talking!"

Start taking bets what this will be Husqvarnisti! ... I think TT has given us a clue already  :3some:  But that may just be the optimist in me speaking.  :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 09:03:21 am by BiG DoM »

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 08:55:10 am »
Some promises being made ... see pages 63/4 of Offroad & Adventure Sa July edition wherein Sir Alan Cathcart speaks to von Kuenheim ... "but then we will have forgotten Husqvarna's tradional roots, and the next three new models after that (the streetwise scoots) will be all be offroad bikes, including one really, REALLY radical one that is sure to get people talking!"

Start taking bets what this will be Husqvarnisti! ... I think TT has given us a clue already  :3some:  But that may just be th optimist in me speaking.  :)

I dont think Husky will ever loose its roots -- stood the test of time and they need to break into the other markets as well as said --we are justy a drop in the ocean compared to Europe.

Selling some road orientated bikes will get the brand out there and is just good marketing imho -- i would rather have a few new kids on the block than --nothing.. As for the racing brand --they will only get better ---
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 08:58:17 am »
the headlight cowl on that one bike is u-u-u-ugly

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 09:37:02 am »
see pages 63/4 of Offroad & Adventure SA July edition wherein Sir Alan Cathcart speaks to von Kuenheim ... "but then we will have forgotten Husqvarna's tradional roots, and the next three new models after that (the streetwise scoots) will be all be offroad bikes, including one really, REALLY radical one that is sure to get people talking!"

Well we live in hope, but the trend so far is bloody frustrating to watch. 

BMW make good tourer's "with some offroad capability", thats what made them famous, but there is a MASSIVE difference between that and proper race derived off road machines which is what Husky are famous for. 

It seems plain stupid and very one-eyed to force that road tourer orientated approach onto Husky. They are adding nothing new to the market.  The GS range is already well established and sells very well and has a loyal following - having Husky do the same thing is just going to canabilise and confuse that market, while diluting or even ignoring the great offroad  capability Husky has.  Thats my main beef with what seems to be happening at the moment.

Also I dont buy the "its a Euro demand problem" argument.  KTM are are a European company, they dont seem to be doing badly, so are Husaberg, so are Aprillia.  They all successfuilly sell very off road orientated bikes.

No this is a question of corporate politics IMO.  Someone somewhere in BMW doesnt WANT to focus on the more off road orientated DS market. Its a matter of choice, not of there being insufficient market demand.  Plus BMW dont ONLY build bikes for the Euro market, they supply the whole world and will factor that into their marketing/production calculations.  The demand for off road orientated DS bikes in the US is strong, as it is in OZ, to take just two cases, thats not nothing or negligible!

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 09:42:22 am »
first I was like  :sip:
then I was like  :o
now I'm like  :xxbah:
dear BMW and husky  :deal: :lamer:
please go back to making  :ricky: bikes!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 09:42:52 am by the_wes »

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 07:33:37 am »
I bought the mag and read the article and threw it against the wall in disgust!

In a nut shell it says that BMW bought Husky to use as a brand for small cheap road bikes built in India aimed at the Asian market!   >:(  :'( :dousing:

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 09:27:57 am »
I bought the mag and read the article and threw it against the wall in disgust!

In a nut shell it says that BMW bought Husky to use as a brand for small cheap road bikes built in India aimed at the Asian market!   >:(  :'( :dousing:

Sorry Alan I 'inspired' you to buy the magazine (although some other reads there  ;)) ... it is difficult at this stage to be sure to what extent BMW is prostituting the marque but sure are trying to make a few silk purses from pigs ears!  :o
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 03:21:30 pm by BiG DoM »

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 03:15:34 pm »
Let them carry on --our current bikes will just be more sought after and we will get better prices IF we sell  ::)
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA