Easter Chill - Mozambique

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Regular visitors to this forum would have known about the trip Camojo organized to Xai Xai over the easter weekend to ?Find a Pub & get drunk?. This sounded like something I wanted to do, so as soon as the leave was organized me & the G/F joined in the fun. My leave was from Wednesday, and as Camojo wanted us to meet at 07:00 sharp in Belfast I decided it was best to leave on Wednesday as the Lioness was a bit slow on the bike. By early Wedensday afternoon me and the Lioness was in Belfast, but as sleeping accommodation was on the scarce side we decided to push on. SO we just dressed in some warmer clothes as it was getting pretty chilly on the highveld, and then we set off again.
Moz.jpg

We made excellent progress and by nightfall we were in Nelspruit and decided to ruff in in the local Road Side Lodge. Thursday morning we knew we had some time to kill, as the others were some 100 km?s behind us, so we popped in at the local Wimpy and had a lekke breakfast.
Moz1.jpg

Tollroads to and from Maputo will rob you of some good money, so we devised the plan of all bikes stopping together, the first one pays, and then as soon as the boom lifts, the rest just go?..
Moz2.jpg

We waited for about an hour, but the rest of the group had not arrived yet, so I decided lets push it for the border post!
Moz3.jpg

Fortunately the border was fairly quiet, so we soon managed to get through both ends after viwing the spectacular flowing together of the Olifants & Crocodile rivers. Seems like lots of rain shas fallen in this part of the country.
Moz4.jpg

Just past the Moz side of the border we saw a sign advertising cold beer, so Leo & Lioness decided to have a few cold ones, while waiting for the others
Moz5.jpg

Moz6.jpg

The raod to Maputo is in an excellent condition, so one can do some fast travelling (120)
Moz7.jpg

Moz8.jpg

Moz9.jpg
We waited for about an hour, and when I called Camojo, they had just arrived at the Komatipoort garage, and had to fill up, change money and then get past the borderpost. As we had decided to travel the gravel road past Moamba, and giving Maputo a miss, I decided that we should wait no longer and head out, as te lioness was a bit slow on gravel, and I didn?t wanna hold the group back. When we reached the turn off to Moamba a local police roadblock confirmed what another traveller had told us, and that was that the road to Moamba had been washed away by the recent rain, and that we would therefore have to go past Maputo. We decided to wait till the entire group was together and stuck it out under a bridge.
Moz10.jpg

As soon as th erest arrived we were on our way
Moz11.jpg

Moz12.jpg

Getting through Maputo was OK and soon we were north of there when we ran into the local Ultra City, which called for a cold beer
Moz13.jpg

Seems like the country had received a lot of rain lately as the world was covered in water.
Moz14.jpg

Moz15.jpg

Moz16.jpg

Moz17.jpg

Moz18.jpg

The roads was generally in an excellent condition, so progress was good
Moz19.jpg

We managed to get a reasonable campsite, and found ourselves a nest amongst all the other Suff Efrikens
For those who?ve never been to Bilene, it?s really worth a visit
Moz24.jpg

Moz25.jpg

Moz26.jpg

Moz27.jpg

Moz28.jpg

Moz29.jpg

Friday we bough a few cases of beer, some local Paradize rum + red raspberry cooldrink = R&R, fish and prawns, and got ourselves a feast going. Later that afternoon all was pissed and lazy and it was time for a afternoon nap.
Moz30.jpg

Saturday morning ?The Cuteness?, his brother Chris & Myself decided to go putting around town. Soon we discovered a delightfull road leading to Turtle Island.
Moz31.jpg
As we were dressed in our best ATGATT we took it very slowly, but soon the going got tuff
Moz32.jpg

Eventually The Cuteness decided to make a involuntary 180 degree turn and we decided to head back to camp
Moz33.jpg

Where not to mount that screen?.
Moz34.jpg