Chain wear and chain specs for the F800GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanno

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
I looked around the forum a bit for info on chains but I cant seem to find too many threads detailing specifics on the F8GS's drive chain.

Bought the bike on 21 000km and currently I am on 33 000km. As far as I can see I still have the original OEM chain on, HOWEVER I dont know if the previous owner ever replaced the chain in the first 20k kms. Before the 5000km ZIM trip were planning I'll need to make a call if my current chain is going to make it or not. If my current chain DOES have 33k km on it, which I doubt considering the condition of my front sprocket and chain in general, I guess it would be about time to replace it.

OK so the methods of checking for chain wear that I have read are:
  • Pulling the chain rearwards off the back sprocket - if you can fit a pencil between the chain and the sprocket your chain is worn to the point where you will need to replace it (on my current chain I can create an approx 2mm gap)
  • Checking the front sprocket for wear - if the sprocket teeth are getting badly hooked the chain and sprockets should be replaced (my front sprocket showing light wear but no hooking at all yet)
  • There was also a post I read at a stage that detailed the length of 10 chain links from start of first plate to end of last plate and the wear limit - checked the workshop DVD for this but I cant find it, or the post I read  :scratch: (would like to use this method)

The first two methods are not terribly scientific and the last would be nice but anyone got an idea on the measurements??

From the other chain topics I have gathered the following details if I should need to buy a chain:
Chain size: 525
Chain type: X-link or O-ring
any other specs that are important to know about on the chains?

What say yee fellow dogs??