Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Fatal accident near malibongwe  (Read 10888 times)

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Fatal accident near malibongwe
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2012, 08:14:47 pm »
sorry you had to experience  and condolences to all involved
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline RogerL

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2012, 08:17:45 pm »
I spoke to my boet Sparro this morning, he witnessed what I think is probably this accident. He was right behind the guy when it happened, he might check in later to give his account of it...  :(  

Ja well,  I was riding 2 bikes behind this guy.   We were doing about 80-90 kmh in the emergency lane next to fast lane.

So thats my Monday.  RIP friend.  

What was the emergency that needed you to be in that lane?

It is the norm now - flaunting of the road regulations at any opportunity.

90 km/h against stationary traffic - ride into a wall at 90 km/h and see if you live.  And the traumatised lady in her car - what if that was your wife?  And who is going to put her life back together for her?

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2012, 08:20:17 pm »
I hope this settles the debate about riding in the emergency lane
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2012, 08:20:24 pm »
A woman neglects to check her rearview mirrors before making a direction change, who's gonna help her get her life together? I sincerely hope nobody.

Offline sparro

• Bike: Motosacoche (all models)
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2012, 08:25:45 pm »
I spoke to my boet Sparro this morning, he witnessed what I think is probably this accident. He was right behind the guy when it happened, he might check in later to give his account of it...  :(  

Ja well,  I was riding 2 bikes behind this guy.   We were doing about 80-90 kmh in the emergency lane next to fast lane.

So thats my Monday.  RIP friend.  

What was the emergency that needed you to be in that lane?

Much safer there than filtering in between the cages my friend, especially at a decent speed ( the traffic was moving nicely at about 80kmh before the sh*t hit the fan), and I don't have the spirit to fight or argue about it tonight.  I've seen this one bad accident happen in the emergency lane, all the others I've seen on this highway in 4 years happened between lanes when guys got cut off by blind cage pilots.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 08:28:30 pm by sparro »
CRF 250 rally, because it looks tit..and its light
KLR 650 Fugly, because it just keeps going

Offline Geriatrix

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2012, 08:26:51 pm »
A woman neglects to check her rearview mirrors before making a direction change, who's gonna help her get her life together? I sincerely hope nobody.

You are sick.
Leonardo da Vinci, “Art is never finished, only abandoned.”

Offline GO GIRL

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2012, 08:42:03 pm »
Whew just read this now .....Sparro good on you ...but how sad when you witness
an event and are part of that can fully comprehend your thoughts ....doubt whether
that scene, that feeling of helplessness will fade...

as you say that bond between bikers......

RIP

Offline Buelligan

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2012, 08:52:49 pm »

You are sick.
Agreed 100 % Geriatrix

Emergency lane is NOT a lane for everyday use, but as an emergency escape route should one need to take evasive action, breakdown or for an emergency vehicle to get through traffic quickly
So in the absence of sirens, that lane should be open......not being used as a normal lane.
It also so happens that it is against the law to travel between the barrier line and the verge, in this case the wall.

I am truly saddened by the loss of a life, especially another biker, in this way

My condolences go out to the riders family and friends AND to the poor unfortunate lady driver.  :'(   :'(    :'(
She swerved to avoid a collision and sadly hit a biker who should not have been there in the first place

P.S  I split legally everyday and often nearly get taken out by cars in the fast lane, swerving out after getting a fright from the guys that come roaring past way to quickly where they have NO LEGAL right to be  !

Sparro strongs to you for trying to help.....
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 09:03:53 pm by Buelligan »

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2012, 08:58:40 pm »
Please people, do not ride in the emergecy lane.  It gives you a false sense of security.  It is NOT safe.  Apart from all the debris that piles up there, people swerve into it regularly without checking, especially if tey experience some emergency.  Also, it is illegal to ride there.  How many more must die in that lane before we learn?
.#BRADICAL!

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2012, 09:18:20 pm »
I spoke to my boet Sparro this morning, he witnessed what I think is probably this accident. He was right behind the guy when it happened, he might check in later to give his account of it...  :( 

Ja well,  I was riding 2 bikes behind this guy.   We were doing about 80-90 kmh in the emergency lane next to fast lane.  The lady driver swerved right and knocked the bike's tail, effectively ramming him against the concrete barrier.  He then bounced off the barried and hit another car and then slumped onto the tarmac.  With the impact his Shark helmet came off and his head got whacked pretty hard against the car and the tar a few times.

A CMA rider and I pulled up and he blocked the traffic with his bike.  He's a marshall at cycling events, so had a 1st aid kit with him.  We pulled a few cars broadside to stop traffic over 3 lanes as the debris and shit was all over the place, We started CPR and traded places with a helpfull motorist when out of breath.  About 10 min later there was no sign of life and it was clear he was gone.

I just sat on the concrete barrier, took my gear off and watched as the paramedics eventually arrived.  Gave the CMA guy the cellphone and wallet that I picked up and the paramedics called his mom.  They do this everyday, so they just told her that her son was in a prang on the highway, he didn't survive the crash and she needs to get to Randburg police station to ID the body.   My mother would sure as hell have a heart attack.  The woman who actually knocked the guy was in a pretty bad state.  Asking all the time whether it was her fault and crying because she actually killed someone's son.  I was very angry because i've seen this so many times before, but this time I saw her hitting the guy barely 20m ahead of me.

Its a pretty bad feeling seeing a person trying to hold onto life and despite our best efforts, slipped away forever.  So eventually just got back onto the bike and rode on to work in a haze of anger and and deep sorrow.  You know, we see and greet each other almost everyday without really knowing the other guy and I guess there's an invisible bond between bikers.  So many other bikers stopped and offered assistance, some guys just standing there with bowed heads and tears because this is just so unnecessary. One thing is for sure,  I ride with a Shoei and Arai, both with double D-ring system.  This Shark had a clip-in mechanism and it came undone.  I'll rather ride with a helmet that costs more than the bike and I'm certainly buying a neck-brace too.

I don't know how I'm going to ride past the same spot tomorrow, maybe I'll just use Witkoppen for a while until this has faded a bit.

So thats my Monday.  RIP friend.   

Sparro, quick question...

Was it a girl on a bike that hit the other bike and then he came off?
Just trying to understand what happened. You mention that she got back on her bike and rode off.

I travel that highway daily between malibongwe and M1. I know it is not right to travel in the emergency lane, but I do. There are more bikes there in the morning and it seems like the cars find it the 'right place' for the bikes to be.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline Would I?

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2012, 09:28:01 pm »
Very Sad. RIP. :(
You either make dust or you eat dust.
KLR 650
KTM 950 Adventure S

Online Hondsekierie

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2012, 09:28:15 pm »
Hel, dis altyd vreeslik 'sad' om hierdie 'posts' te lees.  As ek die storie so uitcheck lyk dit my die man het bietjie reels gebreek toe die kak die 'fan' gestrike het.  Probleem is met n bike eindig n mistyk gewoonlik in pyn maar soms erger, in dood.  

Ek is net baie bly ek commute nie met n bike (respek vir die wat doen).  Wil net byvoeg dat die kwaliteit van ryers oor die algemeen besig is om sewerage pipe avenue te gaan.  

Ek kry gereeld bikers wat my op Ben Schoeman teen 180+ verby vat terwyl die traffic teen 100km/h ry, of 200km/h+ terwyl ons @ 120km/h beweeg, of 100km/h as ons @ 20/km/h beweeg. Kan julle die common denominator sien?

Die 80km/h spoedverskil!!

(PS:  En dan het van hierdie manne nog n 'up-yours' left right and centre te gooi!  Ai fok)
“There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Offline sparro

• Bike: Motosacoche (all models)
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2012, 09:35:12 pm »
Nope, it wasn't two bikes.  Just the lady car driver, a greyish small Kia/Suzuki or something, clearly damaged on the front, driver side as she struck the bike.  He went down and there were no other bikes involved.  At some point there were quite a few bikes parked at the scene as the guys arrived to offer assistance.

No girl on a bike either, I mean't that i eventually rode off as there were many witnesses hanging about and nothing more I could do.

So, if its such a bad and dangerous thing to ride the emergency lane, and even worse filtering, i should perhaps just keep the bike parked under covers during the week and sit in the cage every day and listen to the crap on radio like all the other lemmings, especially the dude in the orange Porche GT2 :bootyshake:

At least it will be warmer, I can take coffee on the trip  :sip: and save mileage on the bike.  My car is actually lighter on juice too !   So from an all-weather biker to a fair weather weekend motorcyclist in one day...
CRF 250 rally, because it looks tit..and its light
KLR 650 Fugly, because it just keeps going

Offline Jacko

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2012, 09:42:59 pm »
We were doing about 80-90 kmh in the emergency lane next to fast lane. 

There's your explanation.

I see people doing it whenever I'm in Gauteng. Sorry for sounding 'callous' but it's wrong, illegal and lethal - as the very existence of this thread proves.

This lane isn't a 'biker convenience' lane. The moment us bikers assume that we have certain rights over and above those of motorists we tread on very thin ice. A speed of 80 -90 km/h is neither here nor there and depends on the speed of the cars you're overtaking. If there's enough of a discrepancy between your speed (say 80) and theirs (say 40), then 80 is highly dangerous.

Most road users (two or four wheels) do not grasp this fact.

However, RIP biker.  :-\

PS: I think we should stop being so thin skinned and try and actually learn lessons why people die. If we cannot discuss these incidents and learn from them we might as well get the real facts on Facebook.  :)
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2012, 09:43:58 pm »

You are sick.

My dear friend, read the eyewitness account again, yes the biker was speeding, and yes, he was in the emergency lane. Consider one question; does he deserve to have died for this? Because if the woman in the car did only one small thing, incidentally required for her to have done by law, that is to have looked into her rearview mirror BEFORE swerving, this father/brother/uncle/boyfriend/friend would have been alive still.
So I stand by what I said, I hope her conscience drives her fucked-up. For she would have taken out any of us even in the right lane, because she is one of the many claiming; "sorry, I did not see you"

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2012, 09:44:24 pm »
RIP
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2012, 09:49:29 pm »

You are sick.

My dear friend, read the eyewitness account again, yes the biker was speeding, and yes, he was in the emergency lane. Consider one question; does he deserve to have died for this? Because if the woman in the car did only one small thing, incidentally required for her to have done by law, that is to have looked into her rearview mirror BEFORE swerving, this father/brother/uncle/boyfriend/friend would have been alive still.
So I stand by what I said, I hope her conscience drives her fucked-up. For she would have taken out any of us even in the right lane, because she is one of the many claiming; "sorry, I did not see you"

just asking...

but if it was one way flowing traffic and she was next to the emergency lane, he is coming from behind, she is not required to look back? Nobody would, you do not expect traffic in that lane in the first place.

Offline Cave Girl

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2012, 09:53:07 pm »
Ouch guys this thread is a bit hectic! RIP biker. Remember there are ALWAYS 2 sides to every story! Strongs to all involved!   
Even on days when you don't have the time or the energy, you are still the centre of your pet's world!
Avatar pic courtesy of Gerhard du Preez!!

Offline Jacko

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2012, 09:57:12 pm »

Danie, sorry. Daai "ons arme bikers is onskuldige victims van vrouens" werk nie.

Daai ou was onwettig op 'n plek waar hy nie mag gewees het nie. So of die vrou nou gekyk het of nie, is eintlik irrelevant.

Kom ek stel dit so: As my vrou op die N1 ry en almal voor haar rem dat die bande rook en sy moet kies tussen vasry in 'n vragmotor of uitswaai en 'n biker tref wat onwettig verbysteek... dan gaan ek jammer voel vir die biker wat die wet verbreek het. Maar ek gaan bly wees my vrou is okay.

Komaan, dink verder as jou neus en die geykte, kortsigtige "ons bikers" paradigma. Dis soos mense wat nie wil he motors moet hulle ligte aanskakel nie (ten spyte van oorweldigende studies wat die waarde daarvan bevestig in verskeie lande) "omdat dit bikers minder opsigtelik maak". WDF?!! Hoeveel padgebruikers (as 'n persentasie) is bikers? Dalk, net dalk, as bikers besef dat hulle ook padgebruikers soos almal anders is, sal minder van hulle in aanmerking kom vir die Darwin Awards. Common sense - she is not so common after all...

Nee fok man. Dis mos soos mense wat hulle honde na ander mense se woonbuurte vat om op hulle strande te gaan kak en dan verontwaardig is as 'n bergie op hulle eie voorstoep kak.
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2012, 10:03:47 pm »

You are sick.

just asking...

but if it was one way flowing traffic and she was next to the emergency lane, he is coming from behind, she is not required to look back? Nobody would, you do not expect traffic in that lane in the first place.

There might just be an emergency vehicle in the emergency lane :mwink: