Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Fatal accident near malibongwe  (Read 12858 times)

Offline NeilV

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
    • My Flickr account
Re: Fatal accident near malibongwe
« Reply #220 on: July 05, 2012, 07:51:13 am »
Firstly, very sad story this, RIP fellow biker. I truly do feel sorry for everyone that was involved and all the lives that have been affected by it.

I would however like to point out a few things to keep in mind regarding riding in the emergency lane:

- It's illegal
- Most of the debris on the road from accidents etc. ends up in the EL
- Cars that break down make use of the EL, often leaking oil and other liquids in the EL

Considering all of the above I stick to riding in a proper lane or I lane split when its safe to do so.

Be safe out there everyone.  :thumleft:

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.

Online Rooies

« Reply #221 on: July 05, 2012, 07:53:45 am »
This thread isn't going anywhere.  I think it should get locked.   :pot:
Current:     BMW R1150GS
                  Honda XR650L
Previous:   BMW R1200GSA
                  Honda XL700V

Offline vigilant

« Reply #222 on: July 05, 2012, 09:18:50 am »
Yes, leading by example is but one aspect. But another avenue of erecting bill-boards to get the message across, working with the authorities to police those lanes. Don't get me wrong, but Think Bike is seen as the voice for us bikers, they have the name to go out and speak to the authorities to get permissions for billboards and signs. A couple of stickers and banners is not going to reduce the amount of bikers riding there.

Use those pics that ER24 is making available to you, together with your media partner and errect some really strong messaged bill boards and signs. Get JMPD involved to participate in a Think Bike, Safety Drive on a Friday.

Thank you, much to think about. What would it take to get bikers to talk to each other about this? The knowledge is with us, and not getting to the new commuters (i prefer leaving jmpd out, things are bad enough already)

Garfield and Dwerg   :thumleft:
Ride the lightning

Offline Moondog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
  • AKA : Tony
« Reply #223 on: July 05, 2012, 10:53:56 am »
R.I.P. and I hope that the driver finds a way to come to terms with what happened - very tragic. I am with the camp that says that there was fault on both sides - I stay out of the emergency lane.

Life is tough - get a helmet!

Offline jangys

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #224 on: July 05, 2012, 10:55:27 am »
Yes, leading by example is but one aspect. But another avenue of erecting bill-boards to get the message across, working with the authorities to police those lanes. Don't get me wrong, but Think Bike is seen as the voice for us bikers, they have the name to go out and speak to the authorities to get permissions for billboards and signs. A couple of stickers and banners is not going to reduce the amount of bikers riding there.

Use those pics that ER24 is making available to you, together with your media partner and errect some really strong messaged bill boards and signs. Get JMPD involved to participate in a Think Bike, Safety Drive on a Friday.

Thank you, much to think about. What would it take to get bikers to talk to each other about this? The knowledge is with us, and not getting to the new commuters (i prefer leaving jmpd out, things are bad enough already)

Garfield and Dwerg   :thumleft:

By Media, use the social media, papers, magazines, especially the biker magazines. I am sure that they will look at a free space if it is bike safety related. I remember seeing something in the Bike SA a While ago. Think Bike posted little snippets, seemed to have disappeared.

Give Training for free. Advertise that Think Bike is doing training, and publish the dates.

Isn,t that what the whole Think Bike thing is all about. Raising Awareness and Saving Lives??

Such a lot of things can be done through sponsorship, you just got to approach it at the right angle and with the right attitude.

Offline vigilant

« Reply #225 on: July 05, 2012, 11:02:26 am »
Give Training for free. Advertise that Think Bike is doing training, and publish the dates.

Isn,t that what the whole Think Bike thing is all about. Raising Awareness and Saving Lives??

I have done free training advertised on think bike, 2 guys stopped in to show me how well they can wheelie  ??? Anyone wants parking lot or other training they are welcome to ask. Best training anyone can get is off road :)

Yes, TB should be doing this.

Ride the lightning

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #226 on: July 05, 2012, 11:24:16 am »
Is!
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
« Reply #227 on: July 05, 2012, 11:24:27 am »
Isn't!
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
« Reply #228 on: July 05, 2012, 11:24:42 am »

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
« Reply #229 on: July 05, 2012, 11:25:01 am »

Offline Veldbrand

• Super Saaiber Slet
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Hou die blink kant in!
    • Koedoeskloof Country Lodge
« Reply #230 on: July 05, 2012, 12:16:53 pm »
Netso.
Ma is legal!
Naai, issie!
Ek doen't.
Ek doen'tie.
Myne is dikker as joune.
Bla
Bla
Farken bla.

Die punt is, 'n man het sy lewe verloor maak nie nou meer saak wie se skuld dit was nie.
Hierdie thread gaan ook in sirkels nes meeste verskille in R&P.

Co-ordinates: S33 30.300 E21 10.258  http://www.koedoeskloof.co.za/  facebook - Koedoeskloof Country Lodge, Dwarsrivier, Ladismith, WC
Life is like hitch hiking, just when you think you're not going to get a lift, you don't.

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #231 on: July 05, 2012, 12:54:33 pm »
Jacko, raas jou kop vanmore, laat jy so met jouself baklei?!   :imaposer:

I don't get involved in trying to prescribe to others what to do. In the end we make our own mistakes and pay our own dues. How and where I ride depends on my own assessment of the circumstances (or sometimes how much wine I had at lunch...).   ;)

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
« Reply #232 on: July 05, 2012, 12:56:37 pm »

Daai Jacko het my nou so befok gemaak ek gaan hom bliksem as ek hom in die hande kry.

Klein etterkop!

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #233 on: July 05, 2012, 01:02:40 pm »

Daai Jacko het my nou so befok gemaak ek gaan hom bliksem as ek hom in die hande kry.

Klein etterkop!
http://voices.yahoo.com/self-talking-symptom-psychosis-82658.html
 :laughing4:
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
« Reply #234 on: July 05, 2012, 01:08:06 pm »

Klein etterkop!
http://voices.yahoo.com/self-talking-symptom-psychosis-82658.html
 :laughing4:

+1  :laughing4:

Online punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Grey hound
« Reply #235 on: July 05, 2012, 03:12:20 pm »

Klein etterkop!

MAAK NET SEKER JY DOEN N ORDENTLIKKE JOB WOOR
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline RogerL

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #236 on: July 05, 2012, 03:18:27 pm »
Or you could just learn to ride your bike on the road properly like the rest of us

By the way Dwerg, what do you think is wrong with my suggestion?

Why should bikers get preferential treatment?

Geez, Dwerg, as a biker you are getting preferential treatment already. Cars are not allowed to lane split.
Dwerg, watch it, you are turning into 2strokeDan, the argumentative man :imaposer:

Tried driving in Harare - lane splitting is allowed, just flash your lights and the traffic opens up.  Hoot and shake a fist if the traffic does not open up!

Offline sparro

• Race Dog
« Reply #237 on: July 05, 2012, 04:40:27 pm »
I see there's a small report in the Randburg Sun.  Says the car broke down and was being pushed in the emergency lane when the bike rode into the back of it.

Kark storie.  There was not a mark on the back of the car, and the "pusher" would have been dead as well. Why would you push your car along in the ER on highway anyway???

Offline RogerL

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #238 on: July 05, 2012, 05:47:40 pm »
Unbelievable - does this mean that we have had this long debate, threatened to kill each other etc. and we were all mistaken? :patch:

Offline vigilant

« Reply #239 on: July 05, 2012, 06:06:21 pm »
... he struck a car that was being pushed after breaking down.

The silver polo was stopped in the right hand lane, its right front wheel had been smashed in, and was lying askew, the corner of the car had also been smashed off. marks against the concrete barrier showed that the bike had hit the car and the barrier in close order, a lot of plastic debris littered the area.

:(

Written on monday.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:09:16 pm by vigilant »
Ride the lightning