Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Fatal accident near malibongwe  (Read 12798 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: Fatal accident near malibongwe
« Reply #240 on: July 05, 2012, 07:59:18 pm »
Exactly what has been said on page one. The car moved to the right into the EL, bumping the bike on the side, sending it into the barrier and then the other traffic. If the car was pushed into the EL and nobody saw or heard the bike coming..........blindness lead the way!

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #241 on: July 05, 2012, 09:24:58 pm »
I have read this thread through with saddness and amusement.  Firstly RIP.  It is always sad when a fellow human departs this way.  Secondly, we bikers are to blame.  We ride as if we own the roads: with extreme arrogance and spite for other road users.  We brake every traffic law in the book.  The best we to proceed is to begin by educating ourselves about the lawful use of our roads.  Maybe all should return to riding schools, etc.  My two cents.
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline RogerL

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #242 on: July 06, 2012, 07:44:03 am »
When I lived in the US, if you got a traffic fine (and speeding was 51 in a 50 zone) you paid your fine but to avoid losing your points on your licence you went to traffic school where it was like a revision of your learner's licence and all the road rules.

2 things come to mind:
1. Shot those okes are strict - break the law and it in not IF they catch you like here, but simply a matter of time.
2. 12 points on your licence every 5 years, speeding 51 in a 50 zone is 4 points.  Over 60 in a 50 zone is 6 points, and over 70 is automatic suspension and a court (read caught!) appearance.  And do not hit a pedestrian or cyclist/motorbike in your car.

However, taliking on your cell is allowed in certain states???

Offline Geriatrix

« Reply #243 on: July 06, 2012, 09:05:34 am »
Geez, Dwerg, as a biker you are getting preferential treatment already. Cars are not allowed to lane split.

Nothing in the law that says that cars are not allowed to lane split, just as there is nothing that specifically says that bikes are allowed to lane split.
Clinicians can contact the clinicians' hotline number on 0800 111 131 (for doctors only); and, in addition to 0800 029 999, the public can also contact the public hotline number on 0800 111 132. These lines all operate 24 hours a day.

Offline vigilant

« Reply #244 on: July 06, 2012, 09:55:48 am »
blindness lead the way!

It wasn't the car's fault dan ... a breakdown being pushed into the emergency lane is 100% correct.

Bike was too fast in the wrong place. Same as all those boys and girls this morning again. Highway was really backed up today, even the cagers took the emergency lanes. Watched for 5 minutes: taxis, peds, cars, bikes and a garden service all sharing the yellow line together, isn't it sweet?

Ride the lightning

Online punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #245 on: July 06, 2012, 10:12:32 am »
I have read this thread through with saddness and amusement.  Firstly RIP.  It is always sad when a fellow human departs this way.  Secondly, we bikers are to blame.  We ride as if we own the roads: with extreme arrogance and spite for other road users.  We brake every traffic law in the book.  The best we to proceed is to begin by educating ourselves about the lawful use of our roads.  Maybe all should return to riding schools, etc.  My two cents.

SPEAK FOR YERSELF
 and please stay off the roads  hey
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Online Beebop

« Reply #246 on: July 06, 2012, 10:21:26 am »
just as there is nothing that specifically says that bikes are allowed to lane split.
Not sure I agree with that.
AFAIK the law states that a bike is allowed to share a lane with a car, not so for cars.
Also a bike can ride between 2 lanes of cars if both lanes are traveling in the same direction. again not true for cars.

Offline Wasp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
« Reply #247 on: July 06, 2012, 04:47:10 pm »

Why all the We? Speak for yourself please >:(

Offline Geriatrix

« Reply #248 on: July 06, 2012, 09:16:09 pm »
just as there is nothing that specifically says that bikes are allowed to lane split.
Not sure I agree with that.
AFAIK the law states that a bike is allowed to share a lane with a car, not so for cars.
Also a bike can ride between 2 lanes of cars if both lanes are traveling in the same direction. again not true for cars.

No
Clinicians can contact the clinicians' hotline number on 0800 111 131 (for doctors only); and, in addition to 0800 029 999, the public can also contact the public hotline number on 0800 111 132. These lines all operate 24 hours a day.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #249 on: July 06, 2012, 09:52:17 pm »
The law says specifically that a motorcycle rider may, if deemed safe to do so, move his machine in between moving cars, thus lane splitting.

Offline K1300S

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640
« Reply #250 on: July 10, 2012, 10:43:28 am »
When I lived in the US, if you got a traffic fine (and speeding was 51 in a 50 zone) you paid your fine but to avoid losing your points on your licence you went to traffic school where it was like a revision of your learner's licence and all the road rules.

2 things come to mind:
1. Shot those okes are strict - break the law and it in not IF they catch you like here, but simply a matter of time.
2. 12 points on your licence every 5 years, speeding 51 in a 50 zone is 4 points.  Over 60 in a 50 zone is 6 points, and over 70 is automatic suspension and a court (read caught!) appearance.  And do not hit a pedestrian or cyclist/motorbike in your car.

However, taliking on your cell is allowed in certain states???

And so is riding without a helmet in certain states....
Does not make it right though.....

RIP to the Fallen Brother and condolences to his family and friends...

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #251 on: July 10, 2012, 11:09:05 am »
someone placed a huge Bouquet of Yellow flowers on the wall beneath the bride...to the fallen biker...RIP.

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #252 on: July 10, 2012, 01:35:58 pm »
someone placed a huge Bouquet of Yellow flowers on the wall beneath the bride...to the fallen biker...RIP.

Amen!
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Rooies

« Reply #253 on: July 11, 2012, 12:41:48 pm »

Also saw it.  Very, very sad indeed.
Current:     BMW R1150GS
                  Honda XR650L
Previous:   BMW R1200GSA
                  Honda XL700V

Offline King Louis

« Reply #254 on: July 16, 2012, 04:36:33 pm »
Shew. What a fred. Just back from overseas, where people drive cars and bikes different than here. Not saying what is right or what is wrong, but noticing what could be better here. Been in a country where everybody rides with a plate. Where cars stop when you are at a pedestrian crossing. Makes you think, coz' I certainly didn't expect it, but it works. Could not find a single friend or family member to give me a ride, having a single dop/beer or whatever.  A touch difficult to compare this with SA, but it does make you think.

Fact is, both did wrong, the rider (rip.....) being in the EL and the driver being on the phone.

The saddest thought is that tomorrow the usual bunch of riders will again be in the EL, as much as the stupid bunch of drivers on cell phones.

Just what does it really take for people to wake up? How much worse than death can it get?............................

Offline sparro

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #255 on: July 16, 2012, 08:26:53 pm »
I was back on the highway today after 2 weeks of caging or riding Witkoppen.  Lane splitting is much scarier than sticking to EL and its much slower too.  So I think I'll stick to Witkoppen as there is no upside to Highway if not in the EL.

Quite ironically, i get back home around 7pm, in the dark and as I open my front gate with the remote, my pittie charges out the gate to grab some brakkie in the street, I lose my footing trying to stop the damn pitbull and lay down my brand new bike in the drive way.

Broken flicker but not much else.  Strange enough, I was ready to pick up the brakkie in pieces and hide it in the veld, but Enzo just sniffed it and came running back to see me weightlifting the Triumph back up with an amused look on his face >:D Dogs & kids will drive me mad !

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #256 on: July 16, 2012, 10:33:27 pm »
That Pitbull almost ran the brakkie into the EL!

Offline SmokenFly

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • I Ride for the freedom it gives me
« Reply #257 on: July 17, 2012, 07:48:38 am »
I thought this thread had gone quite, so i was not going to mention this to stir anything up,

However  :pot:

Last week Wednesday took the XC for a service to centurion, while on the N1 between William Nicol and Rivonia i was lane splitting, lown and behold some twatwaffle on his DS with modified pipe comes screeming down the EL, Ford ranger that i was busy lane splitting next to karked himself and swerved, he bumped into me not hard but enough to push me into the other car, lucky for me i also just brushed his mirror......very close call.

Then for the next 2 mins in my rage and fury i tried to chase down the rider in the EL and after what felt like an eternity probably only 20 seconds i realised that by doing that i am just as big a twatwaffle. so ended up back in lane splitting position saying a quiet thank you to the gardian angels who had to work overtime  :mwink:

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #258 on: July 17, 2012, 07:55:01 am »
Which EL are you guys talking about, is it the left one or the right one. I travel in the far right EL every morning between 7am and 7.20am, all the bikes I see and incounter in that lane ride no faster than 70km/h  and even slower when the traffic is crawling.

Offline SmokenFly

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • I Ride for the freedom it gives me
« Reply #259 on: July 17, 2012, 08:06:12 am »
Which EL are you guys talking about, is it the left one or the right one. I travel in the far right EL every morning between 7am and 7.20am, all the bikes I see and incounter in that lane ride no faster than 70km/h  and even slower when the traffic is crawling.

The Far right one is the one i am referring too, coming from William Nicol towarards Rivonia.

The speed is not what frightend the motorist in my case it was the loud Pipe and the fact that he saw me and did not expect to see someone scare the Cr*p out of him in the EL.