A Desert Virgin Tackles Riding Head-on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBull2007

Bachelor Dog
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
It all began about two months ago when Gareth - a good friend of mine - casually mentioned to me he was considering getting a Wave Runner. I was horrified at the news and suggested to Gareth that a dirt bike would be a lot more fun and he could do more with it.  >:D

He seemed unsure initially, but after an inspiring him with a rendition of the "glamour of riding"  :patch:  :imaposer: he went out and bought this:
z3-L.jpg

I must be a good salesman because within a month he also had bought a brand new kwat for his Mrs and a 2 stroke for his lightie. This was going to be a family thing, and I must say that the enthusiasm he has exuded in the whole debacle is an example to us all.
:thumleft:  :ricky:

Nothing like a new bike smile:
z1-L.jpg

I spend a couple of hours taking Gareth through the basics. There were the usual elements of determination, delight, concern, fear, panic and then elation as he picked up very quickly on the basics. To witness this is for me one of the best things about helping others into things. Anyway he has been practicing over the last few weeks and coming along nicely.

Now a month later he is ready for his first serious riding trip. The plan is for him to ride 5 minutes to my house, and then from there  Lima through to San Bartolo, which is 48km south of Lima. Our route would take us about 75km through mountains and open desert to the south east of Lima.  It is by no means a walk in the park and is in fact quite a workout. The plan was to meet the girls (Mrs BB and Gareths wife) and his son at San Bartolo. They would trailer their bikes and then we would all go riding together.

This trip was also to be a first in thick sand for Mrs BB, who had finally decided to address her allergy to sand after two gigantic face plants in the stuff at Country tracks Amersfoort back in 2008 on her big BMW. The mental challenge of this was huge for her but she found comfort having a friend new to biking there as well.

We set off at 07h00 from my house on our bikes, me on my 2009 KTM 450 and Gareth on his brand new one. After a quick refuel stop and 15 minute tar "liaison", we stop for a camera check
za1-L.jpg

and then the fun stuff starts almost immediately.
za1a-L.jpg

The initial part of the route is frequented by large trucks mixed in with little three-wheeled moto taxis.
za1b-L.jpg

Gareth stops because he thinks he has a flat.
za1c-L.jpg

The roads are nice and loose - Powerslide heaven. Surprisingly I find myself behaving, not wanting to not wanting to scare off my new protegé. In all fairness, he is still new to the bike and riding and sliding is still a concerning feeling that needs some getting used to.  

As it turns out I also thought it has been a bit squirrely, and when I check mine Im surprised and disappointed both my wheels are flat too!  :scratch:

Nevermind, we can fix them when we get to the village of Pachacamac (try saying that after a few beers), so we press on.

The route takes us along this beautiful, fertile valley in the desert, fed by a river coming down from the Andes. Its winter time here so we get foggy weather with no rain, similar to Swakopmund.
za1d-L.jpg

za1e-L.jpg

On the way back into the village we find a little bit of single track to make it more interesting.
za1f-L.jpg

As it turns out getting out of the rocks is not as easy as it looks at first.  ;)
za1g-L.jpg

Pachacamac is a sleepy little place famous for its Sunday lunches, which are magnificent.
za1i-L.jpg

True to form every village in Peru takes pride in its "Plaza las Armas" or central square. Despite being a poor, dusty place, people keep everything clean and well kept. Pleasant.
za1h-L.jpg

To save time I decide just to fix the back wheel and pump the front one. :rolleyes: Why is it that sometimes we never seem to learn?

We set off for the mountains and its single tracks, knowing little about what will befall us in the wet mist....  :komet:  :whip2:
za1k-L.jpg